Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VA Governor Ralph Northam Got Some Explaining to Do

Bozo the kKklown

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

The deception is the biggest part, to me. If he really wanted to come clean, does anyone REALLY think he would've waited until now? He's had a long time to come clean. He didnt.

He was also 23. I wouldn't make an excuse for him if he was 17. We give people too much of a pass in society for what they did when they were certsinky old enough to know better. I did a lot of stupid **** when I was even younger too. I was never racist, or hurt people. Whether you "Change" or not is irrelevant. I also think far more people are better at hiding things and keeping their deepest thoughts in check over time, rather than actually changing.

He hid this. He's toast.

I think that a 23 year old is apt to make just as many mistakes as a 17 year old.  The age thing is a cop out.  You all would be calling for his head if this was a high school yearbook and he was 16 all the same.  I’m not excusing what he did, but man times have changed.  Clearly more than just Northam thought that blackface was A OK otherwise it wouldn’t have made it into the yearbook.

When I was 23, I used a vocabulary and did things that I’m not quite proud of... but those were the times.  I’ve matured, both personally and politically.

Its moot though, he’s done.  In this poltical

climate (and that’s what it is), he’s a goner.  His party won’t let him continue.

Do you all ACTUALLY think that Northam is a racist based on this picture, taken 25 years ago?  To me, he’s no more of a racist than he is a baby killer.

10 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Do you all ACTUALLY think that Northam is a racist based on this picture, taken 25 years ago?  To me, he’s no more of a racist than he is a baby killer.

Let me answer your question with a question. Should we actually wonder whether someone who dresses up in such an offensive manner (and believe me, that's what this is... Truly offensive, in the worst way possible) is actually racist? Do you?

Do you think it ultimately matters ( even if by some wild stretch of the imagination he actually said "I love people of all races, and have no idea what any of this stuff here means, but I'm gonna style in it anyway!"), given this came out after the fact, and given the position he holds?

Most of this rhetorical, btw

1 minute ago, skinsmarydu said:

Not one person has answered the question...what were y'all doing 35 years ago? 

Even adults do dumb ****. I'll be the very first to admit that. 

I was into transformers and WWF wrestling as an 8 year old 

Ok, and a talking head said about this incident..."in this space and time"...

THE PHOTO WAS NOT TAKEN IN THIS SPACE AND TIME. 

GOOD GRIEF. 

It's awful. It's offensive. It's terrible. And it's also pretty old. Would Jesus forgive him & say he gets another chance to do better? 

Please ponder what times were like then. 3 TV channels, y'all. That was it. (And Howard Stern on DC101...now, wanna talk about offensive? Air Florida, anyone? )

it is fun in a moment like this to watch all the gopers who are very upset with this racist imagery and memes and equally disturbed by the outrageous hypocrisy of the dems IF they defend him (but they're calling them on the hypocrisy preemptively)...hopefully, trumps evangelicals are leading the way 

I wasn't even born yet 35 years ago.

Northam should resign.  He can't even say which of the two he was.  I believe he is not today the man he was in that picture.  I also think it's imperative that in this moment, when many of our elected officials are not held to any standard, that we aspire to be better.

30 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

it is fun in a moment like this to watch all the gopers who are very upset with this racist imagery and memes and equally disturbed by the outrageous hypocrisy of the dems IF they defend him (but they're calling them on the hypocrisy preemptively)...hopefully, trumps evangelicals are leading the way 

If only I had a dollar for each conservative FB friend who posted "No liberals will condemn him" or "The MSM won't cover this!"

Meanwhile, literally all my left leaning friends are posting that he should resign, and MSNBC has covered it every hour.

22 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I give up. 

I think you raise an important point that would be a worthwhile discussion. What is a forgivable past indiscretion and at what point do we allow that a person has changed for the better to the point elected office is okay. 

Perhaps we are being unfair? The Democrats did say anything about Senator Byrd and his early 20s like was far worse.

I'm not saying he shouldn’t resign so save it please

2 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

I wasn't even born yet 35 years ago.

Northam should resign.  He can't even say which of the two he was.  I believe he is not today the man he was in that picture.  I also think it's imperative that in this moment, when many of our elected officials are not held to any standard, that we aspire to be better.

i would've been in my 30's

i can say, anecdotally, that i would have known plenty of folks of diverse demographics, say 18-45 mainly, who would've found it racist or at minimum hideously poor judgement and criminal stupidity/insensitivity back then

i can think of guys who would think imagery like that or dressing up like kkk to mock/ridicule racists/right winger-rednecks would be ok, but not the blackface---me and my friends tended to favor out-there (almost) anything goes humor and had very thick skins and were hard on each other and liked to push envelopes, but the only guys i can think of who wouldn't have thought that was inexcusable even as some kind of crude gag are the actual bigoted guys i knew.........

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

I think you raise an important point that would be a worthwhile discussion. Whay is a forgivable past indiscretion and at what point do we allow that a person has changed for the better to the point elected office is okay. 

Perhaps we are being unfair?

I think there's a legitimate debate to be had as to if it's possible to determine if someone has become a better person than their past transgressions, but this is unfortunately not the best time for it.

Archived