Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VA Governor Ralph Northam Got Some Explaining to Do

Bozo the kKklown

1 hour ago, DogofWar1 said:

If contemporaneous corroborating evidence exists, then Fairfax is fully done.  But if nothing else, his ability to be an effective Lt Gov has ended.

This where the logic loses me.  He must receive due process, but must step down without any investigation anyway?  That's the standard they want to set?

The second accuser said she was also raped by a duke basketball player in 1999.  She went to the dean and the dean didn't do anything (that'd be a multi million dollar lawsuit right there).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/acc/2019/02/08/justin-fairfax-accuser-duke-basketball-player-rape-allegation/2820573002/

“He revealed that Ms. Watson was the victim of a prior rape,” Nancy Erika Smith, Watson’s attorney, wrote in the second statement.  “That is true. Ms. Watson was raped by a basketball player during her sophomore year at Duke. She went to the Dean, who provided no help and discouraged her from pursuing the claim further. Ms. Watson also told friends, including Justin Fairfax. Mr. Fairfax then used this prior assault against Ms. Watson, as he explained to her during the only encounter she had with him after the rape.

“She left a campus party when he arrived, and he followed her out. She turned and asked, 'Why did you do it?' Mr. Fairfax answered: “I knew that because of what happened to you last year, you’d be too afraid to say anything.”

WHAT!?!?!?!?!

Then you got fundraising emails, told people to take you off the list because of rape but never went public?  What about the people who received her request to be taken off the list?  Someone says I want off the list because the candidate raped me, but you just sat on it?  What the **** is wrong with everyone?

43 minutes ago, bearrock said:

He must receive due process

While I’m no legal scholar and I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn last night, why do people keep referencing some right to due process?

This isn’t a legal proceeding, it’s the court of public opinion and the bar for “guilt” is notoriously fickle.  

Groups and individuals are are expressing their opinion that he should resign.  They can’t force him.  (I think)

He is standing by his actual right to tell them he is choosing to not resign.

Until it reaches a Court, it’s all blather and posturing, any pretense of due process be damned.

52 minutes ago, bearrock said:

This where the logic loses me.  He must receive due process, but must step down without any investigation anyway?  That's the standard they want to set?

Due process applies to him being convicted of a crime.  It does not apply to him keeping his job as an elected official, a job that requires the confidence of his constituents and the other elected officials.  

The concept of due process comes from the 5th amendment.  It  requires that “due process of law” be part of any proceeding that denies a citizen “life, liberty or property."  Not your job as a public official.  

Edit:  I agree that he should be entitled to a full investigation.  I suspect that many of the politicians who are calling for his resignation already know what evidence exists and don't feel the need to wait on calling for his resignation.  

19 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Due process applies to him being convicted of a crime.  It does not apply to him keeping his job as an elected official, a job that requires the confidence of his constituents and the other elected officials.  

The concept of due process comes from the 5th amendment.  It  requires that “due process of law” be part of any proceeding that denies a citizen “life, liberty or property."  Not your job.  

Their words, not mine.  There is a form of due process applicable here though.  Elected officials can be removed by impeachment, where articles and an actual trial would be involved.  If VLBC wants to talk about due process, they should advocate for a thorough investigation followed by the impeachment process and trial, not resignation due to public pressure.  Lt. Governor of Virginia is not your average job.

Edit: As an aside, obviously due process is not limited to criminal convictions.  Though increasingly out of favor, substantive due process has been invoked to strike down a cadre of laws infringing on individual rights in a civil setting. 

Nonetheless, the due process involved here would actually be procedural.  Virginia Constitution's specific impeachment mechanism is the appropriate and guaranteed procedure for Justin Fairfax.  VLBC's statement is akin to saying, we respect the defendant's right to due process, but these allegations are so serious and believable, we should skip the trial and the defendant should turn himself in straight to jail.

3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The concept of due process comes from the 5th amendment.  It  requires that “due process of law” be part of any proceeding that denies a citizen “life, liberty or property."  Not your job as a public official.  

Edit:  I agree that he should be entitled to a full investigation.  I suspect that many of the politicians who are calling for his resignation already know what evidence exists.  

Hey!!!!  Lol......great minds I guess.

I’m also jaded enough to not believe that all this virtue signaling may not come with a side helping of an eye towards the next rung on the ladder.

Let’s not forget that somebody, and potentially a lotta bodies knew something about something.

I’m going to add a little cover your assery/the Party is what really matters here, goes a way into the process

Archived