Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VA Governor Ralph Northam Got Some Explaining to Do

Bozo the kKklown

Just now, NoCalMike said:

How many posters on this board are from Virginia, because I feel like we are about 2 steps away from finding out that "Black Face Day" is an actual thing in that state. 

I am. Lived in Virginia in the 80s and 90s. Va Beach n NoVa. I can honestly say that I never got the invite to these events.

My college (Mary Washington) used to have a "beauty pageant" called Wo-Man.  Guys dressing up as girls to compete in a pageant.  Plenty of exaggerated "features" and a few black faced contestants.

Funny funny event, until it wasn't anymore.

We shouldnt be holding people accountable today for something they did that was acceptable 30 years ago.

9 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

How many posters on this board are from Virginia, because I feel like we are about 2 steps away from finding out that "Black Face Day" is an actual thing in that state. 

Lee Jackson day was is a thing.

And it was on MLK day until like 2000.

Yeah, honestly, we're probably half a generation away from stuff like this popping up randomly, like we need to get past people with formative college years  happening pre-2000 to be most safe.

6 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

My college (Mary Washington) used to have a "beauty pageant" called Wo-Man.  Guys dressing up as girls to compete in a pageant.  Plenty of exaggerated "features" and a few black faced contestants.

We shouldnt be holding people accountable today for something they did that was acceptable 30 years ago.

Just to be clear, “acceptable 30 years ago” is really “acceptable 30 years ago amongst white people because none of you bothered listening to colored people”. 

Black face has been wrong ever since it started and colored people have been trying to get that point across ever since. Some of you just didn’t care enough to listen. 

10 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

This is privilege on display

Might have been accepted in certain circles, but it damn sure was never right

If you want to be a leader, you dont get to set that timetable. especially in Northam's case when he was a grown ass man at the time

8 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

We should hold them accountable, but I dont think they need to be demonized. I dont think its wrong to demand better for leaders. 

Though, I find it impossible to feel bad for any of these dudes. 

3 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Just to be clear, “acceptable 30 years ago” is really “acceptable 30 years ago amongst white people because none of you bothered listening to colored people”. 

Black face has been wrong ever since it started and colored people have been trying to get that point across ever since. Some of you just didn’t care enough to listen. 

Tfw the name matches the post.

26 minutes ago, Larry said:

Yeah, what's with all these people thinking that it's socially acceptable to make jokes about race issues back in the 80s?  

You know, that was my first thought. 

I said earlier I didn’t even know about blackface until a few years ago. 

You can add blazzing saddles to the list too. 

I actually googled this the other day because I tried to watch blazzing saddles a few years ago. It was a group of white guys. They promised me it was hilarious. A few minutes in I left. I felt super uncomfortable. It felt like it was hilarious because it was a bunch of white guts warching an incredibly racist movie. 

So I googled “why is blazing saddles funny” and did a bunch of reading. 

What I learned is that it isn’t a racist movie. It’s a movie that constantly and routinely hammers on racism and prejudice.  It’s not mocking blacks people - it’s mocking racists. The entire movie is, apparently (I say apparently because it’s what I read), a gigantic mockery of racists. 

I still haven’t watched it. Maybe I will. That wasn’t what I thought was going on but I certainly didn’t give it a chance to show me that. 

Just another one of those things I didn’t know. *shrug*

Slightly off topic but if anybody was filming 25 years ago at biker rallies all bikers would be in "me too" prison for the rest of their lives.

There is a very fine line between what should be condemned and what should be forgiven and forgotten as a remnant of times long gone.

10 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I agree partially.  I don't think "black face" was any more acceptable back then nor do I think it has ended. I am pretty sure if you took a hidden camera to college campuses, (I will spare high schoolers for now) you will find it still going on.  So on the "acceptable back then" part I disagree.

On your overall point though, which I think you might have been making, I do agree. Stupid actions as a teenager/early 20's person should not condemn you for your entire life, especially if you have a publicly verified track record of not being that person anymore.

However in this specific case, it is hard to argue the Governor hasn't severely bungled the damage control.  

19 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Lived here my whole life and never experienced people being racist towards one another. 

Now that im older and things have come up in recent years I look at the confederate flags and statues differently. The naming of major roads after confederate people differently. 

A few years ago my friends and I went to WVA for tubing and drinking on the river and a young white guy got on the buss and started yelling “blacks to the back of the buss” and an altercation ensued between him and I. 

I havent seen anything else though. 

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

Lived here my whole life and never experienced people being racist towards one another. 

Now that im older and things have come up in recent years I look at the confederate flags and statues differently. The naming of major roads after confederate people differently. 

A few years ago my friends and I went to WVA for tubing and drinking on the river and a young white guy got on the buss and started yelling “blacks to the back of the buss” and an altercation ensued between him and I. 

I havent seen anything else though. 

Where are you in the line of succession?  Please keep your phone nearby, we may need to call on you.

Lived in VA for decades.  I honestly don't recall blackface being a thing (as in bunch of kids would put up blackface at a party or something like that).  I'm wondering if there was some rapid change between the early 80's to later years or did I just not process it despite seeing it?  But we talked about the history of blackface, minstrel shows, and the racism involved in middle and high school years in the 90's.  If blackface was common and accepted in the early 80's in Virginia, I'm pretty shocked by that.

I saw a lot of it (racism not blackface) growing up in the 80s and early 90s in Virginia Beach. Heck even the Ms. Kempsville (bunch of HS males dressing up as women) was cancelled because of the blurred sexual and race lines that we're too often crossed. It was and (I suspect) still an under reported part of that region.

Maybe it's time to burn it all down on Virginia.

16 minutes ago, tshile said:

Not to hijack the thread, but on the subject of confederate monuments specifically, is it true that a lot of them were not even put up until the 60's almost as a defiant FU to the civil rights movement going on?  If that is true then it really blows up the "history not hate" argument I always hear, especially from younger folks today who seem to have zero historical context about the issue whatsoever.    It reminds me of the whole "under god" argument from about a decade ago, where most people didn't even seem to realize it wasn't even in the pledge of allegiance until WW2 era. 

tshile, the perspective in your blazing saddles post seemed so alien to me (not pejoratively or insultingly at all)  

that besides  it's intention to be slapstick comedy, the movie was to lambast and mock racists/racism, and other things identified with 'conservatism', and of course people overall, was obvious to "all of us" back when it came out...

part of that was likely knowing about the people making and in the movie and where they stood on such things in the culture of the times....now today, in a more "woke"-focused atmosphere, there may be points to examine about assumptions/appropriation or other matters where the caucasians making content choices in the movie may have done better/different, i dunno how that shakes out cuz i haven't tried the exercise...

but for you to wonder so much abouthb the movie while not having viewed it yet, well, you may want to view it and see how it strikes you....i'd be interested in hearing how younger people of color view it today, as in the same way or are there issues ...i should note, i haven't watched it in probably 25-30 years, but saw it several times in full over a few years back when it was released and seen clips over the years of course...

Archived