Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS NAME ROB RYAN AS INSIDE LINEBACKERS COACH

TK

18 hours ago, sempre_victrix said:

Not like he can hurt this team.  It's already a train wreck going over cliff into the fire.

But I still hate this guy.

Little kindling never hurt anybody. 👍

Considering Jays label as a soft coach, Manusky's public emasculation and now this dude, 2019 certainly won't be boring at least 😁

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Doesn't matter who the position coach is without more talent at the position. Brown has zero lateral quickness and Foster runs like he's in quicksand.

Right..so why did Manusky constantly require them to cover Slot/TE as IF they had to the tools VS Blitz the QB and force a throw to mitigate that weakness??? I would HOPE Ryan will coach that to Manusky...aggression. IF nothing else..there will be somebody screaming at players for poor performance. Something HAD to change..we could use some of Rob's passion

5 pages in a day on the new ILB coach because of his name. Olivadotti started here almost 20 years ago and was here for about 15 years total...not sure there was ever 5 combined pages of discussion about him in all that time. For better or worse, that's why they made this hire imo. 

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

5 pages in a day on the new ILB coach because of his name. Olivadotti started here almost 20 years ago and was here for about 15 years total...not sure there was ever 5 combined pages of discussion about him in all that time. For better or worse, that's why they made this hire imo. 

Uhh ya his dad wasn't buddy ryan

It's a very good hire.

Maybe not a great one. But definitely not a bad one.

Some things to consider, if looking at it totally objectively :

1 - He's coaching the smallest volume of positions (half of a position group), so he gets to place all his focus and energy into a small range of players. Think of it as a small teacher-to-student ratio.

2 - Coached over 3 decades and over 2 decades of that has been NFL. A poor coach wouldn't last that long. The 2 years off mean practically nothing

compared to the ratio of 30+ yrs. Once he made it to an NFL coach, he never had to revert back to college. Consistency & longevity in NFL speaks volumes regarding talent level.

3 - We know he's a good Linebacker coach,  because that's the position that started all his promotions to DC, etc. He started out as a Linebacker Coach. If he was not a really good linebacker coach, he would not have gotten all those "promotions" for all those years. Teams don't promote poor coaches.

4 - We're taking full advantage of his area of expertise and specialty at linebackers, and not stretching himself. So not only are the players getting laser focus from him, but so is the extraction from his primary talent.

5 - He was a Linebacker coach for Bellichek's Super Bowl defense. So you can't work for defensive genius Bellichek's defense, and get a ring on top of that, and be a poor defensive assistant.

He wasn't a great DC, but that doesn't mean he's not a great LB coach. Time and again, we see NFL coaches and assistants get "over-promoted" and then have to take a step back a notch backwards, into their true "calling".

So, in summary, this position just may very well be the best thing that Rob Ryan is cut out to be.

Rob Ryan is coming home.

Not just to home in Washington, but to the home of his original and best fit, being LB Coach.

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

That's called nepotism, and the NFL (and our team especially) is rampant with it. Caring who a guy's dad is got us where we are right now with Bruce. 

Yep I was being a smart ass about that sorry.. I couldn't stand buddy Ryan in the 80s Hated playing him against the eagles

1 minute ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Pretty much since Snyder has bought the team. We need a organizational excorcism

Sorry, tweaked that just a little bit for ya..

What does nepotism mean . Yes I ask this seriously.

18 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Yep I was being a smart ass about that sorry.. I couldn't stand buddy Ryan in the 80s Hated playing him against the eagles

Sorry, tweaked that just a little bit for ya..

What does nepotism mean . Yes I ask this seriously.

Hiring someone just because you share DNA.

15 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It's a very good hire.

1 - He's coaching the smallest volume of positions (half of a position group), so he gets to place all his focus and energy into a small range of players. Think of it as a small teacher-to-student ratio.

2 - Coached over 3 decades and over 2 decades of that has been NFL. A poor coach wouldn't last that long. The 2 years off mean practically nothing

compared to the ratio of 30+ yrs. Once he made it to an NFL coach, he never had to revert back to college. Consistency & longevity in NFL speaks volumes regarding talent level.

3 - We know he's a good Linebacker coach,  because that's the position that started all his promotions to DC, etc. He started out as a Linebacker Coach. If he was not a really good linebacker coach, he would not have gotten all those "promotions" for all those years. Teams don't promote poor coaches.

4 - We're taking full advantage of his area of expertise and specialty at linebackers, and not stretching himself. So not only are the players getting laser focus from him, but so is the extraction from his primary talent.

5 - He was a Linebacker coach for Bellichek's Super Bowl defense. So you can't work for defensive genius Bellichek's defense, and get a ring on top of that, and be a poor defensive assistant.

He wasn't a great DC, but that doesn't mean he's not a great LB coach. Time and again, we see NFL coaches and assistants get "over-promoted" and then have to take a step back a notch backwards, into their true "calling".

So, in summary, this position just may very well be the best thing that Rob Ryan is cut out to be.

Rob Ryan is coming home.

Not just to home in Washington, but to the home of his original and best fit, being LB Coach.

False false false false false.

The well known logical fallacy of "because he has been working for a while, he must be good" has been proven false so many times its amazing anyone still goes to that in these days.  

Lets pretend we dont know about Jeff Fisher.  Lets pretend we dont know about Jim Haslett.  Lets pretend we dont know about Joe Barry.  Lets pretend we dont know about Bruce Allen.

Because someone survives at a job long does not mean they are any good at their job, just good at being friendly.  Anybody who has worked in the corporate world for half a week has seen how that is true with some of the higher ups and those long serving company employees being some of the worst.  Rob Ryans only claim to anything is that he got to ride to a superbowl win on the coattails of Bellichik, Brady, and Romeo Crennel, and his dad and brother are famous.  His LBer crew in NE actually had their best years when Rob Ryan wasnt coaching them.

On 2/1/2019 at 12:32 PM, Peregrine said:

False false false false false.

The well known logical fallacy of "because he has been working for a while, he must be good" has been proven false so many times its amazing anyone still goes to that in these days.  

Lets pretend we dont know about Jeff Fisher.  Lets pretend we dont know about Jim Haslett.  Lets pretend we dont know about Joe Barry.  Lets pretend we dont know about Bruce Allen.

Because someone survives at a job long does not mean they are any good at their job, just good at being friendly.  Anybody who has worked in the corporate world for half a week has seen how that is true with some of the higher ups and those long serving company employees being some of the worst.  Rob Ryans only claim to anything is that he got to ride to a superbowl win on the coattails of Bellichik, Brady, and Romeo Crennel, and his dad and brother are famous.  His LBer crew in NE actually had their best years when Rob Ryan wasnt coaching them.

The highlighted line you listed backs up the point Malapropismic Depository was originally making. All of them promoted and out of original strength that got them promoted to HC/DC and what ever you wanna call Bruce. RR strengths lie in coaching up LB's and now he can once again concentrate on only that. Great hire IMO.

On 1/31/2019 at 9:24 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

It's a very good hire.

Rob Ryan is coming home.

I agree with a little of this, but just a little. 

It is probably not a "bad" hire. Can;t really be any worse than it's been. But a good one? I do not see it right now but would be glad to be proven wrong. I hope he produces several All-Pro LBs. Nothing would make me happier. 

As for e 5 above: 

1. I agree with this. It's a smaller job than Dc for sure. 

2 - 5 are all building off one theme. This does not hold water at all. Just because a guy did something well 30 yrs ago does not mean he will do it well now, especially in the NFL. For one thing, the rules have changed so much. Isn't that why Joe Gibbs 2 was not nearly the success of Joe Gibbs 1? The game passes people by. And sitting out is devastating. You can get so far behind is what is acceptable and successful. 2 yrs out of football is a lifetime. 

Ok, he was great 10 to 15 yrs ago. Since then as a DC, which he also responsible for the LBs as they are part of the defense, his defense stunk the last 3 yrs he was in the league. And he was so respected for his LB coaching, he sat out the last two season with no one wanting to hire him. We know he was a great ( I will give him great over good here) LBs coach 10 to 15 yrs ago. That means almost nothing now. Again, the game has changed so much and he has not shown any success in the last 5 yrs, sitting out the last two. 

Back to being out of football for two years - there were 31 other teams that could have signed RR the last two years. Not all needed a LBs coach, but you know some did. And with all that great background you point out, they all passed. But we are supposed to believe the the Redskins, with their stellar records over the last 20 yrs, know more than all the other teams. That RR is still a great coach, he is just what, misunderstood with his putrid defenses? 

I would love it if it turns out he is the missing link on the D staff. Like I said above, I hope he can produce several All-Pro LBs. But all indications are this is another arrogant hire by our illustrious FO who is certain that despite the poor results year after year, they know more than everyone else when the facts are they do not. They are wrong most of the time. 

Archived