Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS ANNOUNCE CHANGES TO COACHING STAFF

TK

8 hours ago, MEANDWARF said:

Maybe. Bet Danny and Bruce don't want a repeat of a O.C. leaving and having success as a Head Coach.

I can already tell them that O'Connell is not gonna have any success with oth Dan and Brucey running the show behind him.

6 hours ago, Smurf3 said:

under secretaries 

Don't you mean, under the desk secretaries?

On 1/29/2019 at 11:42 PM, ConnSKINS26 said:

O'Connell won't be remotely qualified to be a HC unless he shows a ton this year--which he won't be able to do with Gruden calling the plays. Yes, non-playcalling OC's have gotten HC jobs in the past--a recent successful one being Doug Pederson, although they usually aren't successful. But you know what? Those guys come from great offenses usually. Unless you expect the offense to take a huge step forward despite the QB situation and Gruden calling plays, I don't see how O'Connell sniffs a bigger opportunity. 

McVay didn't come from a great offense...

On 1/30/2019 at 8:30 AM, skinfan2k said:

If that's the case, this organization is a joke.  We need to clean everything from this staff. 

Or, when Jay has another missed playoffs on his resume' after 2019, the organization promotes the young O.C. as the trendy hire and as someone Danny and Bruce can control who won't say no to a HC job. Which supports your comment. 

I know this is an unpopular view but Jay's offense is very good by any measure and I know @kingdaddy is not alone in disagreeing with me on this but his scheme has been very productive both with the Bengals and the Redskins.  When Bruce screwed Jay by letting both DJax and Garcon walk the team still produced and for those with short memories still managed to beat the messiahs Rams team.

Now for what it's worth I don't like Jay calling plays as a HC.  He is a good OC and fine in that role but as a playcalling HC he is doing two jobs averagely at best instead of one job well.  I do hope he hands over the reins sooner rather than later and there is precedent for that.  McVay was made OC in Jay's first season but did not call the plays however he showed enough that Jay handed over the responsibility in his second season.  I am hoping for a similar outcome here but hopefully O' Connell can persuade him a lot sooner, maybe by the end of training camp.   

On 2/1/2019 at 2:32 PM, WelshSkinsFan said:

I know this is an unpopular view but Jay's offense is very good by any measure and I know @kingdaddy is not alone in disagreeing with me on this but his scheme has been very productive both with the Bengals and the Redskins.  When Bruce screwed Jay by letting both DJax and Garcon walk the team still produced and for those with short memories still managed to beat the messiahs Rams team.

Now for what it's worth I don't like Jay calling plays as a HC.  He is a good OC and fine in that role but as a playcalling HC he is doing two jobs averagely at best instead of one job well.  I do hope he hands over the reins sooner rather than later and there is precedent for that.  McVay was made OC in Jay's first season but did not call the plays however he showed enough that Jay handed over the responsibility in his second season.  I am hoping for a similar outcome here but hopefully O' Connell can persuade him a lot sooner, maybe by the end of training camp.   

With all due respect, his scheme has come up small in the biggest games, the ones we needed to win. The home games in 2016 where we laid eggs, the division games over and over again. This year with Alex Smith we were very vanilla and at times just brutal. Jay's record speaks for itself in his 5 years as HC, I believe we can do much better....the only pass I can give him is the obvious one; injuries the past 2 seasons. 

So Allen confirmed Cavanaugh will be doing advanced scouting and Jay will continue to call plays.  

They hired a guy to be QB coach. 

Callahan will continue to have a large impact on the run game 

So so what exactly is Kevin O’Connell responsible for as OC and how is it different than his role as passing game coordinator?  

41 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So so what exactly is Kevin O’Connell responsible for as OC and how is it different than his role as passing game coordinator?  

Cavanaugh was OC and he didn't call plays.

So, I'll guess O'Connell will do whatever it is that Cavanaugh used to do, for your in-depth answer.

Archived