Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS ANNOUNCE CHANGES TO COACHING STAFF

TK

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

January 29, 2019

REDSKINS ANNOUNCE CHANGES TO COACHING STAFF

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that Passing Game Coordinator Kevin O’Connell has been promoted to Offensive Coordinator. O’Connell has spent the past two seasons as the Quarterbacks Coach in 2017 and the Passing Game Coordinator in 2018 for the Redskins.

In a corresponding move, Matt Cavanaugh will now be the Club’s Senior Offensive Assistant. Cavanaugh has spent the last four seasons with Washington and the past two seasons as the Offensive Coordinator.

The team also announced that Defensive Line Coach Jim Tomsula will be returning for his third season with the team in the same role.

The moves today along with the additions of Special Teams Coordinator Nate Kaczor, Defensive Backs Coach Ray Horton and Tight Ends Coach Brian Angelichio announced last week round out recent changes to the Redskins coaching staff.

Some info from O'Connell's scouting report

https://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/threads/just-how-good-of-a-prospect-is-kevin-oconnell.213603/

Intelligence/Intangibles: 
4-year captain, hailed for his terrific leadership skills, toughness and confidence. Reported to have registered the #1 Wonderlic score of the year at the Combine.

Awesome, we are letting others teams trying to loot our front office to see if they can pluck the next McVay from us, as a reason to create new positions and promote folks!  That's the way you do it in the big leagues. 

Overall I have been very disappointed in our passing game and QB play the past 2 years. I openly admit I was wrong about McVay so maybe he is a future stud.

A big shout out to Cavy who now gets to hang with Bruce more.

And its a laugh to hear that Jay is the one that promoted his future replacement him.

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

It's below. He's a glorified quality control guy now breaking down future opponent's tape and consulting the new OC, I'd bet. 

So basically exactly what he did the last 2 years, I'm guessing.

There really is only one question: Is Kevin O'Connell going to call plays as the OC, like McVay did?  Or is Jay going to call plays like he did when Cavanaugh was the OC.

If Jay is calling plays, then the title is really is just a distinction without a difference.  It will be Jay's offense, Kevin would have input and Jay would call plays.

If Kevin is calling plays, then it's a real change. It's still Jay's offense, but probably similar to McVay, Kevin puts together the game plan and then calls the game.

We'll probably have to wait until September to really find out.

34 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Remember when Tomsula was definitely gone? Guess that was an exaggeration...

Who said he was definitely anything other than on an expired contract?

There was talk that he wanted out but I don’t recall anyone saying he was definitely anything.

He’s not the first and won’t be the last guy to stick around a job in a dysfunctional company.  Bills to pay, kids in school, and I’m sure he likes the guys he’s responsible for.  Trust me, I’ve done it myself.

So I guess this is Snyder's way to show the fanbase things have changed.  Instead of letting the next mcvay or lafleur walk, they are going to lockdown a young, promising coach.  But for every mcvay, there are a handful of young coaches that never live up to the expectations.  Eric Man-genius.  Norv Turner, the offensive guru.  So I dont blame them for giving it a shot, but this is most likely to be very insignificant, and if this is the extent of the changes we are gonna see for next year, then it's just gonna be more of the same.

That being said, I hope O'Connell does get play calling duties and provides a spark.  We've really got nothing to lose by seeing what he can do.    

53 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Remember when Tomsula was definitely gone? Guess that was an exaggeration...

Maybe Greggg was offered the head coach job, and once that went down the drain, we told Tomsula he'd be the next pick to take over if Jay got cut mid-season. He made the jump from defensive line coach in the past, no better chance to be set up to fail again than here. Plus, who else would we pick as an interim head coach? The guy promoted to Senior Irrelevant Assistant? The first year OC? The defensive coordinator who we totally weren't conducting interviews to replace? If things go south fast, Tomsula is actually the veteran with the most experience. That's a kind of scary thought, actually.

29 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Sounds like Jay is keeping the seat warm for O'Connell in 2020....

O'Connell won't be remotely qualified to be a HC unless he shows a ton this year--which he won't be able to do with Gruden calling the plays. Yes, non-playcalling OC's have gotten HC jobs in the past--a recent successful one being Doug Pederson, although they usually aren't successful. But you know what? Those guys come from great offenses usually. Unless you expect the offense to take a huge step forward despite the QB situation and Gruden calling plays, I don't see how O'Connell sniffs a bigger opportunity. 

Archived