Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SanDiegoUnionTribune.com: The good news, the reality for Alex Smith

TK

On 1/28/2019 at 9:35 AM, Tsailand said:

Part of why everyone says Alex Smith will likely never play again is that he was playing badly before the injury.  His leg might be healthy by 2020, but who will be interested?  If you're looking for a bad starting QB, you can get a young healthy bad QB for cheap in the draft or free agency.

If he'd been playing like 34-year-old Tom Brady (5200 yards 39 TDs), we'd be all in for 2020.

Do you think it's possible to cut him now, absorb the cap hit to do the reboot with a "wink wink" type of agreement that if he can play, he will come back on the cheap (given that we already paid him) to mentor the franchise QB that we draft?

1 hour ago, hatchetwound said:

Do you think it's possible to cut him now, absorb the cap hit to do the reboot with a "wink wink" type of agreement that if he can play

That's not necessary.  We're on the hook for $15M salary in 2019 and $16M salary in 2020.  He'd be happy to renegotiate that into $30M in 2019 and $1M in 2020.  Same total, he gets his money sooner, we take the cap hit sooner.

We also have $21.6M in cap hits left to take for the signing bonus we already paid him, but it's OK to spread that out over 2019-2022.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, gooseneck said:

could we hire Alex Smith as a QB coach for 24 million a year and by mutual agreement, agree to invalidate his player contract?

If you were ok with the NFL giving a cap penalty of much more than 24 million, and also loosing draft picks as an additional penalty you could.  Of course the upside would be that Snyder would be banned from having anything to do with the team for a period of time.

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

It's really tough to process him still having that thing on his leg.  I dont want to see him play again and reinjure it, I'd feel sick.

Unfortunately that cage on his leg means that there's no rod inside holding his leg together because it got infected and those rods had to be pulled out.  Now, they cage it and has to heal before they go back in and place the rods again.  He's done. 

Just my thoughts....I feel extremely bad for Alex Smith.. awful..I fell in love with the player Alex Smith when he did what he did in SF got hurt than got replaced than got shipped away...he never complained..not one ounce of bickering..went to KC and did good..same thing happens there..nice new shiny toy comes in and he gets shipped out..o well part of the business..no complaining all professional, than that injury happened. Such the ****tiest way for for such a great person to end his career.

• 2 months later...

Archived