TK

SanDiegoUnionTribune.com: The good news, the reality for Alex Smith

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hope Alex is ok, there are obviously more important things than football.    He'd be great at grooming a young guy if they drafted one this year or next.  Though i wouldn't blame him for feeling mixed about doing so.  He did so it for Mahomes.  

I think he would be fine with it maybe even embrace it on some level. He knows that his future (not 2019 but beyond) quarterbacking in the NFL is likely over except as a backup in 2020 - 2021. So helping develop a young guy while recovering can keep him mentally in the game and its not like he ain't getting paid. Maybe he can be the clock management guy.

Seriously though, If he is IR for 2019 would he be allowed to interact with the team on the sideline. I ask because it looks like Jay is a little short on help. 

Figured that. I broke my leg the same way. In a cast for a whole 12+ months, several month of PT. The biggest thing I had to worry about after I left the hospital was blood clots. I was also threaten amputation. So bottom line, I am fervently praying for Alex's speedy recovery to life. Damn football at this point.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Bit Bruce said he'd be coming back.

When has he ever been wrong?

What the hell is wrong with this guy.....how full of **** can one man be???  It’s unreal that someone this clueless is still employed!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bigmuss1 said:

What the hell is wrong with this guy.....how full of **** can one man be???  It’s unreal that someone this clueless is still employed!!

with his skills he should seek higher office in Washington.  🤣

• Haha 1

Alex Smith started 10 games for us and had a record 1 game above .500.  I don't want the guy to lose his leg and I hope he fully recovers and gets every penny owed to him, but we didn't just lose Marino in his prime.  This hyperbole over a 34 year old stop gap is getting ridiculous.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Alex Smith started 10 games for us and had a record 1 game above .500.  I don't want the guy to lose his leg and I hope he fully recovers and gets every penny owed to him, but we didn't just lose Marino in his prime.  This hyperbole over a 34 year old stop gap is getting ridiculous.  

I think some of it is the cap situation it has left us in.

Just now, hatchetwound said:

I think some of it is the cap situation it has left us in.

I'm not talking about that.  People are acting like we would have went on a run if he stayed healthy and there is just no metrics by which the data supported this.  We had exactly zero game score changes under Smith, and our points differential up into week 10 was +1.  It was not sustainable with him.  There's a reason the fanbase got excited for Colt friggin' McCoy.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I'm not talking about that.  People are acting like we would have went on a run if he stayed healthy and there is just no metrics by which the data supported this.  We had exactly zero game score changes under Smith, and our points differential up into week 10 was +1.  It was not sustainable with him.  There's a reason the fanbase got excited for Colt friggin' McCoy.

Most of the concern I see from fans is regarding his long term health, and from the football perspective, the cap hell it puts us in if he can't play again. Either way, no need to be so defensive.

At this stage, I don't care if Smith plays again. I just hope he can make a solid recovery, and enjoy his life. He's going to be ridiculously wealthy after he collects his guarantees, so his quality of life should be pretty damn good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alex is finished and thankfully he’ll still be able to walk. This reminds me of how Kindergarten Ninja made that comment about Chris Samuels coming back whenever he can deal with the pain, or some foolishness like that. Hopefully this has the same end for Brucie that it did for Vinny.

On 1/22/2019 at 11:19 AM, Tsailand said:

The problem with this is that it would lead to an increase in the share of profits given to players.  In this situation, if we got the $71M in cap back, and then spent it on other players, it would mean the players overall got $71M more, and the owners $71M less, than if Alex Smith had stayed healthy.

It also leads to situations where teams stuck with bad contracts (like the Alex Smith contract) get a cap benefit from the player's injury.  Do you really want to set up that incentive?

Yes," shares of profits" given to players suffering from catastrophic injury. not underperformers. I don't see how this could ever be seen as an "incentive" to alter someones life after football.  Things like Death (ie ST) and obvious career ending injury are a little different than S'uas's vision problem escapade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

Well, going into the game that he got Theisman'd, we were 6-3 and in control of the division.  He gets hurt and we only win one game the rest of the year.  At MINIMUM, I believe we would have won the giants and Titans games.  9-7 right there.  And I firmly believe we could have won the first Eagles game (Wentz had a broken and the team was playing below average football).  That would be 10-6 and I believe that would have taken the division.  Heck, the 2nd cowboys game was close with Colt McCoy.

I get it, we werent some juggernaut with Alex Smith.  But he was reliable.  We wern't taking bad turnovers.  And he was just winning games.  The stats and data and boxscores may say NBD (no big deal), but there was just something there with him under ther center.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Bigmuss1 said:

Bruce does enough on his own to prove he's not fit for his role, but let's be fair....

He said if anyone can come back from the injury, it's Alex

He's making progress.  I don't know what is in store for him down the line but it would be foolish to count this determined young man out now.  I wish him the best!

Edited by Veryoldschool
  • Haha 1

Beat guys rarely all agree on one thing but they do all seem converged on the idea that no way Alex plays next season.  And I'd guess about 75% of them give or take think he will not play ever again.

If I throw in the team apparently is obsessive about getting a QB in this draft.  I think the writing is on the wall.

But hope Alex has a fast and speedy recovery.  And if he's back whenever that is, cool.   I used to like watching the Alex report -- cool dude, young kids, hopefully he's back on his feet soon. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

On 1/23/2019 at 3:31 PM, hatchetwound said:

Well, going into the game that he got Theisman'd, we were 6-3 and in control of the division.  He gets hurt and we only win one game the rest of the year.  At MINIMUM, I believe we would have won the giants and Titans games.  9-7 right there.  And I firmly believe we could have won the first Eagles game (Wentz had a broken and the team was playing below average football).  That would be 10-6 and I believe that would have taken the division.  Heck, the 2nd cowboys game was close with Colt McCoy.

I get it, we werent some juggernaut with Alex Smith.  But he was reliable.  We wern't taking bad turnovers.  And he was just winning games.  The stats and data and boxscores may say NBD (no big deal), but there was just something there with him under ther center.

Yeah, it was a OL that was still blocking a little for Adrian Peterson. After the OL injuries caught up, and Peterson couldn't get out of the backfield and carry the offense, the season was over. Smith's biggest contribution was checking down a lot.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My ex wife had this exact same type of injury..... She ended up losing her leg below the knee because the infection kept killing the grafts they were transplanting. He is not out of the woods yet, not until the wound heals and the infection is completely gone. I guarantee  he never plays another snap, this will be a long process for him and I wish him and his family the best. 

• Sad 1

Are these infections preventable ?

Do they only give antibiotics after signs of infection ?

If so, I wonder if it would be a good idea to administer antibiotics automatically, immediately after an injury like this, just as a precaution.

Or something like I.V. Vitamin C.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:29 AM, Tsailand said:

Even with insurance, there's a possible perverse incentive when a player underperforms his contract.  Still, an insurance company is better equipped to handle this than the NFL is.

Last I heard it was $12M?

This is the amount I heard too.

9 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If so, I wonder if it would be a good idea to administer antibiotics automatically, immediately after an injury like this, just as a precaution.

https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/infections-after-fracture/

The good news is he should not lose his leg.

Yeah, Alex Smith is never playing football again.

It’s sad.  I was never really an Alex Smith supporter but I hate to see anyone’s life altered like this.  It’s a real shame to lose someone to an injury like this.  I’ll be thinking about him in his recovery and I hope that his physical ability isn’t too badly hampered after he recovers.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

ER Doctor here. 

For pretty much all trauma patients with open fractures, we give 1g of Ancef (cefazolin) for prophylaxis against infections. The problem is is that while it has great coverage against regular skin bacteria that can contaminate the wound, it doesn’t have activity against more resistant bugs like MRSA. That’s when you have to tailor the medications and pick which ones have good coverage. Usually you don’t know until after the surgery if these infections are happening. 

Unfortunate. I did initially think his career was over after the injury, but I had some hope prior to the post-op infections. I think he’s going to be fine eventually from a “using the leg in daily life” standpoint but I don’t think he ever plays again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Part of why everyone says Alex Smith will likely never play again is that he was playing badly before the injury.  His leg might be healthy by 2020, but who will be interested?  If you're looking for a bad starting QB, you can get a young healthy bad QB for cheap in the draft or free agency.

If he'd been playing like 34-year-old Tom Brady (5200 yards 39 TDs), we'd be all in for 2020.

4 hours ago, Tsailand said:

Part of why everyone says Alex Smith will likely never play again is that he was playing badly before the injury. 

The much, much bigger part is the guy is just lucky to still have his leg. Even if he had thrown 25TD’s, 2 pickles and had a QBR over 110 at that point in the season, the guy would never play another down again. You don’t have to be Brady to find work somewhere.