• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      We’re still doing this?  Absolutely!  Despite all the compelling reasons to just let everyone go home and enjoy and extended offseason, this is not an option.  The games must be played, and therefore we the long-suffering fans will feel compelled to watch.  Even games no reasonable football fan would choose to watch like, for example, today’s Redskins Jets game.   

Today’s convergence of sadness features the 30th ranked scoring offense (Jets 14.4 ppg) versus the 32nd (Redskins 12.0 ppg).  The first team to 15 wins!  With no playoff aspirations the compelling story lines for this game are largely limited to watching young players (hopefully) develop.  Dwayne Haskins gets his first home start and Derrius Guice is back from injury.   

My, reasonable, goals for today’s game:  
      1- Score a touchdown 
      2- Score more than 17 points.   
      3- Haskins throws for 200 yards or more with no interceptions  
      4- Guice runs the ball at least 10 times and finishes at 3.5 yards per carry and healthy.  

Hoping for a win at this point feels like setting myself up for disappointment, so I’m happy to settle for an entertaining loss.  

Special thanks to @pez for some excellent Guinness beef stew.  If you absolutely have to stand in a frozen parking lot at 9am, the best place to do it is at the Extremeskins Tailgate with Pez and @Huly.  Great fans, great people. 

The Redskins have declared for the following players as inactive: 
      Paul Richardson  
      Colt McCoy 
      Deshazor Everett 
      Chris Thompson  
      Ross Pierschbacher 
      Vernon Davis  
      Tim Settle  

The Jets declared the following players as inactive  
      Nate Hairston  
      Darryl Roberts  
      Paul Worrilow 
      Matthias Farley  
      CJ Mosley  
      Jordan Willis  
      Leo Koloamatangi 

1st Quarter - Redskins 0 - 6 Jets
      If you wanted to sit in the cold and watch a football game with some Jets fans at FedEx, but were worried that there were not enough seats available, I have good news.  There’s plenty of space available, so come on down and prove you’re a real fan by sitting though this in person.

Jets dominated the 1st quarter even though they only scored 6 points.  The reason being that Washington managed only 13 yards of offense and a single first down.  

Question: Is it still a check down pass if the QB never looks at anyone else?

2nd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      The Jets have achieved an insurmountable 13 point lead early in the 2nd quarter.  All hope is lost.

Is there a more perfect example of the Redskins offense than their first scoring drive in the 2nd quarter?  Interception gives the Redskins the ball on the Jets 16 yard line.  They proceed to march 10 yards backwards before kicking a field goal from the Jets 26.  It's perfect.  Two or three more field goals we can call it a day. 

The Jets score again and if feels like they are are just piling on at this point.  Three touchdowns in the first half for them, just three points for the redskins.  Our streak of no touchdowns has now extended to 15 quarters. 

3rd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      There is a spider slowly descending from the ceiling in the press box and it's the most interesting thing that's happened during the third quarter of this game. 

I have decided to allow the spider to live, provided it does not touch me.  I'm off to get some more caffeine. 

4th Quarter - Redskins 17 - 34 Jets
      The first wave of Redskins fans, the few that are here, started streaming towards the exits after that 4th Jets touchdown.  As if the Jets didn't have this game wrapped up in the 2nd quarter. 

Jet have now more than doubled their average points per game and have matched their season high of 34 points (and they missed two field goals in this game). 

TOUCHDOWN REDSKINS!  THE DROUGHT IT OVER!  Guice took a short pass from Haskins  all the way to the house.  2 point conversion is successful on a pass from Haskins to Quinn. 

The Redskins score another touchdown!  This feels like an embarrassment of riches, even if we are still certain to lose this game. 

End of Game.

Let's review those reasonable goals I mentioned earlier:

1- Success.
      2- Close enough, I'm counting it
      3- Haskins did throw for over 200, but unfortunately did have an interception. 
      4- Guice was not given the opportunity to run the ball ten times today.  He did however score on a 45 yard TD pass and finish the game healthy.  I'll take it.

Even though the Redskins lost, it was good to see the offense show some faint signs of life and end the streak of games without a TD.  The team looked competitive for much of the second half, and perhaps they could have made this a fun game if they carried that same energy throughout.  It was good to see Guice and Mclaurin show out today.  I think both of them have a future with this team that I look forward to seeing. 

Sign in to follow this  
skinfan2k

Redskins Lose Another Coach: LB Olivadotti Headed to GB

Another coach leaves this organization.  Do the redskins want to announce anything?   Didn't see any thread for this loss.   Thought he was supposed to be a "coach in waiting" for a Coordinator position.  Guess not?  Who's Tampa's LB right now?  Seems to me thats the only place where we look these days?

582687759_ScreenShot2019-01-20at9_33_52AM.png.e0c97963470803aad837cad0e4011b64.png

• Haha 1

Wasn't this brought up last week?.. I thought us losing our linebackers coach to the Packers is old news

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Our LB play was a weakness....maybe new coaching and Foster will change that

I was just coming in here to say that... Hasn't our linebacker play been kind of suspect?.. maybe this is for the best...any way .. good call man.

Edited by bakedtater1
Edit content
  • Haha 1

Not shedding any tears over his departure, but...

God bless whoever replaces KO and is expected to make Mason fast and ZB smart, something no professional coach has ever been able to do.

• Like 1

Mason Foster needs C taken off his jersey and released or relegated to second string immediately. Reuben Foster will be an immediate upgrade (after whatever suspension likely to come). Drafting another ILB is needed. 

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Not shedding any tears over his departure

Tend to agree with you. Average production from that unit. The problem being his replacement mighg even struggle to hit the heights of average. Sad times.

No one is mourning the loss....but...

....this is the second coach this offseason jumping ship for LATERAL moves.  We are such a **** show right now, it's ridiculous. 

What's more ridiculous is the continued DEAFENING silence out of Redskins Park. 

Eff this organization. Bruce and Co are sticking one giant middle finger up to all of us, and I think they delusionally expect we're all actually returning next year to continue supporting their ineptitude. 

• Like 2

Our linebackers suck, who even cares about this move. I just want to see Dion Hamilton and Rueben Foster

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

No one is mourning the loss....but...

....this is the second coach this offseason jumping ship for LATERAL moves.  We are such a **** show right now, it's ridiculous. 

What's more ridiculous is the continued DEAFENING silence out of Redskins Park. 

Eff this organization. Bruce and Co are sticking one giant middle finger up to all of us, and I think they delusionally expect we're all actually returning next year to continue supporting their ineptitude. 

The Redskins allowed both Olivadotti and Kotwica to leave. So they couldn't have thought too highly of them or they could have blocked the interview requests. Not that the team's coaching judgment has been particularly strong. But they did do this by choice. More telling would be what happens to a guy like Tomsula, who can just freely leave if he wants.

I'm not sure what kind of announcement you expect the team to make though. It doesn't really help the team to make public all the interviews that coaches may go on. While the team did allow Olivadotti and Kotwica to seek other jobs, it didn't guarantee they'd leave and unless they actually go it benefits no one to broadcast that publicly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jericho said:

I'm not sure what kind of announcement you expect the team to make though. It doesn't really help the team to make public all the interviews that coaches may go on. 

Have the balls to state the plan.  It's shrouded in silence when everyone KNOWS they're interviewing DC's and such, yet there's ZERO statement of, well, we missed our target, but our plan is __________________.  For Christ's sake, the #firebruceallen trend even forced the team off Twitter for a period of time, and unless I'm mistaken, the team hasn't come out publicly and said much of ANYTHING.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Hire London Fletcher

That might be really interesting. Fletcher excelled despite not being big, fast, or possessing any extreme physical talent. His game was based on hustle, preparation, and intelligence. Sounds like someone who knows the game inside out.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jericho said:

The Redskins allowed both Olivadotti and Kotwica to leave. So they couldn't have thought too highly of them or they could have blocked the interview requests. Not that the team's coaching judgment has been particularly strong. But they did do this by choice. More telling would be what happens to a guy like Tomsula, who can just freely leave if he wants.

I'm not sure what kind of announcement you expect the team to make though. It doesn't really help the team to make public all the interviews that coaches may go on. While the team did allow Olivadotti and Kotwica to seek other jobs, it didn't guarantee they'd leave and unless they actually go it benefits no one to broadcast that publicly. 

Were they still under contract? Not saying they were not but can you post something that shows they were under contract? That does make a difference - a bog one? No. But a difference. 

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

That might be really interesting. Fletcher excelled despite not being big, fast, or possessing any extreme physical talent. His game was based on hustle, preparation, and intelligence. Sounds like someone who knows the game inside out.

Fletcher was short, but he was extremely fast and thick. I agree with the hustle, preparation and intelligence but he had so physical tools.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2019 at 11:35 AM, Hail4Life said:

I wonder which TB reject will take his place.

Mason Foster loses his captain status. And becomes a coach.

11 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Mason Foster loses his captain status. And becomes a coach.

tumblr_m805oqAd5t1r1s7izo1_500.gif

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Were they still under contract? Not saying they were not but can you post something that shows they were under contract? That does make a difference - a bog one? No. But a difference. 

Thought this was commons knowledge, but I will google it for you:

Edited by Jericho

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

Thought this was commons knowledge, but I will google it for you:

Why the snark? I wasn't questioning your honestly. And if it was such a bother, don't respond. Good grief can't we just be civil to each other in here?

Anyway, so two have gone sideways and it can be argued Gray went backwards going back to the college ranks. In fairness he may have liked the college level better. SO far the one replacement may have been the worst coach at his position the last 6 yrs. Looking like a great season!