Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS NAME NATE KACZOR AS SPECIAL TEAMS COORDINATOR

TK

18 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

As long as we keep Tress Way on board is all I care about in the st's department.

I agree.....I'm no coach but seriously how much coaching is there into ST anyhow? I mean if you have a good Kicker & punter 1 could beg to differ that the player actually makes the coach look better...I mean what possible coaching is there into weather or not a guy kicks a 20yd FG or a 22yd FG.....not down playing the hire here nor the importance of a quality ST coach/guy but I do think that it can be a bit misleading weather or not its a valid hire or not.

3 hours ago, Califan007 said:

It's not true that every kicker digressed where he has coached, though.

With the Titans, they signed Ryan Succop as the placekicker in 2014. He previously kicked for the Chiefs for 5 years.

His two years under Kaczor:

2014 - 86.4%

2015 - 87.5%

His five years with the Chiefs:

2013 - 78.6%

2012 - 82.4%

2011 - 80.0%

2010 - 76.9%

2009 - 86.2%

3 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Specific rankings for ST under what's-his-ass (can't remember and don't feel like scrolling lol):

FG% rankings

Titans

2013 – 20th

2014 – 10th

2015 – 9th

Bucs

2016 – 32nd

2017 – 28th

2018 – 29th

Kickoff returns

Titans

2013 – 7th

2014 – 16th

2015 – 28th

Bucs

2016 – 32nd

2017 – 17th

2018 – 26th

Punt Net Average

Titans

2013 – 17th

2014 – 6th

2015 – 12th

Bucs

2016 – 3rd

2017 – 26th

2018 – 24th

Punt returns

Titans

2013 – 24th

2014 – 26th

2015 – 17th

Bucs

2016 – 12th

2017 – 6th

2018 – 26th

looks like generally he was much better in Tennessee than Tampa and the Skins are probably hoping he returns to that form

5 hours ago, TK said:

"We are excited to have Nate join our staff. We have had the opportunity to face his special teams play during his time at Tampa Bay and respected competing against him," said Jay Gruden, Washington Redskins Head Coach. "He is a competitor and we have noticed and admired the intensity his units have played with through the course of his time as a special teams coordinator and assistant coach in the NFL."

Poor Jay. He was happier when we signed Reuben Foster.

This is what happens when you are the Washington Redskins. Coaches run away from you like the cancer that you are. Then you cannot find a decent coach to take their place. So what is the solution? Hire the ABSOLUTE WORST ST coach in the league. Why? BECAUSE IT IS ALL YOU CAN GET. This franchise is a god damn joke man.

Loving the hyperbolic reactions to this hire.  Be honest, most of those commenting couldn't name more than 3 NFL ST coaches if their lives depended on it and have no freaking clue what they actually do anyway.  I don't know if this guy is any good but like any other new hire I will wait and see what his unit does once the games start.

24 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Loving the hyperbolic reactions to this hire.  Be honest, most of those commenting couldn't name more than 3 NFL ST coaches if their lives depended on it and have no freaking clue what they actually do anyway.  I don't know if this guy is any good but like any other new hire I will wait and see what his unit does once the games start.

especially since there's posts on here showing that yeah he's had some bad years, but he's also had some really good ones

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

This is what happens when you are the Washington Redskins. Coaches run away from you like the cancer that you are. Then you cannot find a decent coach to take their place. So what is the solution? Hire the ABSOLUTE WORST ST coach in the league. Why? BECAUSE IT IS ALL YOU CAN GET. This franchise is a god damn joke man.

Until last year the worst ST coach in the league for ES members was Ben Kotwica. Prior to this that was Mike Smith and the guy whose name just escaped me that remained here one year and was a complete mess after Smith left...

4 hours ago, carex said:

looks like generally he was much better in Tennessee than Tampa and the Skins are probably hoping he returns to that form

Tenn - 26th - 20th - 28th = avg 25th 

TB 20th - 29th - 29th  = avg 26th  

So one spot better overall in TN. Personally, I am not hoping he returns to that level of production. 

1 hour ago, carex said:

especially since there's posts on here showing that yeah he's had some bad years, but he's also had some really good ones

Sorry, he had no really good ones. None. Not a single good season as a STs coach. He had a few parts of the teams that were not horrible. But his teams as a unit have never been better than 20th. 

2 hours ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Danny Smith - Who I liked - He did a decent job here. He is in Pitts.  

Ben Kotwica - He is of course now in Atl - He also did a pretty good job here. In 5 seasons his teams were 29th (first season and it sucked for everyone), 6th, 13th, 22nd and 8th last yr. Unlike many who did like to complain about him I liked the job he did and the data supports my contention that he did a good job. 

Nate Kaczor - He is now our new STs coordinator. I looked up his ranking the last 6 yrs - because I was actually hopeful we made a good hire. I really wanted him to be good. What I found was a guy who's STs unit has never been better than 20th and the last two seasons he was 29th in he league! 

Sorry if data and facts seems like hyperbole to you. But they are none the less facts. I would love for this guy to turn it around here. I am certainly not routing for him to fail. But you have to decide to ignore the facts to not realize that there is a very good chance our STs will take a step back from Ben Kotwica.

As for what they do - was that a serious statement? It's not a deep dark secret. They set punt and kick return blocking schemes. They also create plays for punt and kick returns - the later is getting less critical due to the TB %. But still, the guys all need to know what to do with a pooch kick. Who is going to field it? Where is the blocking getting set up? When can the returner bring it out on a KO? Especially with the TO we have had at KR and PR it has not been easy. Not to mention attempting to block FGs and Punts - although I believe they work with the Oline coach to some extent for that. They also have the team practice last second FG attempts for when there is no time on the clock. And they work some with the punters and kickers on improving areas of weakness. That is just off the top of my head. 

Interestingly enough, they are the only coach outside the HC that works with players from both sides of the ball.

So yea, maybe a few on here are voicing concern just cause they like to - but there is a legitimate reason for it here. This guy has just never done a good job at STs anywhere. Again, I hope he does great. Maybe the other teams just didn't help him enough with players. But with never being better than 20th as a unit and coming off two season in a row at 29th, there is plenty of legitimate reason to be concerned. 

9 hours ago, goskins10 said:

This has to be a joke. His STs ranking the last 6 yrs per Football Insiders (not the end all be all, but at least a common measurement method): 

2013 - 26th

2014 - 20th 

2015 - 28th

2016 - 20th

2017 - 29th 

2018 - 29th

They're trying to achieve a brand new level of suck.  The race to the bottom continues

Just so I understand this. Coaches are trash that we have. When they leave they do not want to be apart of this crappy team and were good suddenly even though everyone called for changes. Get a new coach he has to suck because he was fired by another team and only comes here because no one else would hire him. Just making sure I am keeping up with the pitchforks.

12 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I think parts of the team ranking 12th, 10th, 9th, 7th, 6th, 6th, and 3rd qualifies them for a better description than "not horrible" lol...

Not when the over all teams never fair better than 20th, and that was just 2 of 6 seasons. So they had a few parts of the teams that ere OK. The overall was bad, mostly really bad. More importantly to me - his latest two season were his worst - 29th the last two seasons.

I am typically one of the more optimistic people when it comes to new hires. I am ever hopeful. But this to me is poor hire. He has had 6 yrs to get it right. And his last two were his worst? C'mon, that does not exactly exude - hey top 5 STs!  Remember, Kotwica was 8th this year.

If this guy can even keep the team in the top half of the league, that would be great. Considering that would the best performance any of his teams his entire career - and by at least 5 spots - I would not hold my breath waiting.

Archived