Sign in to follow this  
daveakl

Abby's Journey Three years today

My wife posted this on facebook/twitter today and I wanted to bring it here also.  The support from this community @pez @Huly Dale (I can't believe I don't know your ES name), the people in the RTT crew that helped get me through the first 6 months, and anyone else that I am forgetting, thank you!  

On the 14th, we were celebrating Zac's 2nd birthday at breakfast. By 2pm that day, I had taken Abby to a neurologist and then for an MRI that found a large mass in her brain. By the 15th, she was having a 5 hr brain surgery. 2 weeks later, they told us it was cancer. I have never felt so helpless, vulnerable, and lost. Our lives stopped, and we lived that year in an unknown world. We lived around appts, radiation masks, chemo meds, surgeries, hospital stays, fevers, and stem cell transplants.
You can never go back to the way it was before this diagnosis. The comfort and security you once had is gone. 
PTSD, depression, scanxiety, and survivor guilt are all very real things. They just hit at different times. So although Abby's fight is over, and we can celebrate over 2 years of remission, the effects of what she went through are not.
Abby has her next follow up MRI on January 28th.
I truly believe what got us through all of this was the love, support, and strength of all of those around us. Friends, neighbors, family, strangers....every act of kindness made it easier, which is why we created Abby's Army. 
I know this is a long 22 minute video of Abby's year from diagnosis through remission, but I will post it every year on this day to remind us of just how strong and brave this little girl is.

Video Link

• Like 16

I just cried.  I can’t make it through the whole video.  Thank you for sharing Dave.  I’m glad to hear that it’s been two years, it seems like just yesterday you we’re posting in the RTT about Abby.

Go Abby!

She's more brave than I could ever hope to be. My hero. 💖

Edit add: Teddy Bear Toss at the Gladiators game Saturday night, a record 6,072 stuffed animals on the ice for kids in local hospitals...and you know I was wearing my Abby's Army shirt! 

Edited by skinsmarydu

Glad to hear she is well, and you all seemed to have handled this ordeal amazingly.

Dave, our texts back and forth helped me more than you'll know.  I am so happy for you guys, and I stand in admiration of all you've done for and with your family and to help others.

Abby is a born ass-kicker.

• Like 1