• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      Good afternoon Redskins fans!  I have once again been invited to sit in the relative comfort of the press box and shout my thoughts into the void via this blog.  As you watch the game today and see the rain  pour relentlessly from the heavens, know that I am safe and dry.  Know also that @Spaceman Spiff is out there somewhere, cold and unappreciated, rolling around in the muck trying to capture that perfect picture.  Maybe say a little prayer for his health (or laugh, whatever, I’m not judging you).  Also, be sure not to miss the pictures he posts on this site after each game.     

Before we get into today's Redskins game, I want give some thanks for more positive occurrences in DC sports.  Congrats to the Washington Mystics for winning their first championship.  Congrats go out to the Washington Nationals as well for reaching the world series.  These two teams (along with the Caps) are working hard to change the sports related mood around this town, and we're all happier for it. 

Lets move now into less cheerful topics, namely your Washington Redskins!  Yow know things are going bad, and I mean really dang bad, when your team has gone through three quarterbacks and two coaches and your not even half way through the season.  Today's fresh hell comes in the form of a specter of the our recent past coming to smirk at our misfortune.  Im talking of course of Kyle.  Kyle's spent the week assuring everyone that he isn’t holding a grudge, while very obviously holding a grudge.  “Everything else.”  You know what I’m talking about. 

If all he brought to town were his hurt feelings we wouldn’t have a problem.  Sadly, he’s arrived with an undefeated football team that the NFL says we have to play this week.  This feels entirely unfair. 

My generic key to the game:  Run the ball and stop the run.  The team (spoiler alert: 49ers) that does this today will win.   

Redskins Inactives  
      QB Colt McCoy  
      S Deshazor Everett  
      CB Josh Norman  
      RB Chris THompson  
      LB Josh Harvey-Clemons 
      G Wes Martin  
      TE Vernon Davis  

49ers inactives  
      QB CJ Beathard 
      WR Deebo Samuel  
      CB Ahkello Witherspoon  
      FB Kyle Juszczyk 
      T Mike McGLinchey 
      T Joe Staley 
      DL DJ Jones 

1st Quarter Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers

Callahan wasn’t playing around when he said he wanted to run the ball.  That first drive was all runs, and looked great... right up until they tried to pass the ball.  Hopkins missed the relatively short fied goal, because of course he did.     

Maybe Quinn isn’t a good choice to be returning punts?  Consider it.    

That second Redskins drive looked more like what we’ve come to expect from this offense.  Run for negative yards, pass dropped, and an unsuccessful screen pass.  A quintessential Redskins three and out. 

Passing yards this quarter:  Redskins 3. 49ers 9.  Are you not entertained?! 

Half Time Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers 

How happy are you to spend your Sunday afternoon watching this game?  Consider that some people paid money, to sit in a poncho, in the rain, to watch this game. 

It’s now time for those half time adjustments that our beloved skins do so well.  It’s unlikely the second half mirrors the first. 

3rd Quarter Update 
      Redskins 0 – 3 49ers  

Good news, this game will not end in a 0-0 tie.  Those half time adjustments have kicked in as expected and the 49ers have found a way onto the scoreboard in this messy throwback game.  The Redskins have decided to spend the second half collecting holding penalties and sadness.  Mercifully, only one quarter remains. 

End of Game Update 
      Redskins 0 – 9 49ers 

Callahan hasn’t spent much time as the head coach of the Washington Redskins, but he’s already proven that his team can waste 2nd half timeouts like a veteran.  It makes little sense to adopt a strategy that shortens the game when your team is losing, and it makes even less sense when your team is short on time outs.  I’m not really sure what the thinking as late in this game.    

Next week Kirk Cousins!   

Califan007

Poll: How are you choosing to be a Redskins fan right now?

How are you choosing to be a Redskins fan right now?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. How are you choosing to be a Redskins fan right now?

• Angry Fan - you're livid and are actively involved in finding ways to let Snyder know how unacceptable this all is to you and many others...#firebruceallen #burnitalltothegroud
    • Depressed Fan - you're angry but more than that, you're just too drained emotionally to do anything about it...you're likely to hang out in the Tailgate for the forseeable future
    • Self-loathing Fan - you hate Snyder, hate the coaches, hate a lot of the players, but mostly hate yourself for still hanging on...you praise the Cowboys to deflect from the reality that you won't leave
    • Apathetic Fan - you just don't give a **** anymore...you're not angry and you're not happy...you're not gonna root for another team but spending Sundays at IKEA with your wife/gf doesn't sound so bad anymore
    • Cautiously Optimistic Fan - yeah, you hate how things seem to be going but, dammit, this is your team and you enjoy seeing the positives amidst the negatives..every season is a new season
    • Homer Fan - you don't let other people's doom and gloom get in your way of enjoying following the Redskins...looking forward to free agency and the draft, baby! This will be our year!
    • Laughing Fan - you find the dysfunction of the team, the tabloid-ish takes by the media, and the hysteria of the fanbase entertaining....you just grab some popcorn, sit back, and take it all in
    • Al Davis Fan - just win, baby...don't care about anything else but that. If we're not winning, I'm pissed. If we are winning, I'm good. Just win. Period.

I said Depressed Fan but I am trending towards Laughing Fan now because life is short so we gotta take whatever scraps of enjoyment we can salvage from this mess we have emotionally invested in and can't seem to walk away from. 

• Like 1

I have gone from being a fan to being a follower. Put me in the angry category of the choices listed. I cannot believe that a dweeb like Snyder still has any credibility whatsoever in the DC community and put Bruce Allen in the doofus category as a perfect fit for Snyder. His father, George. probably rolls over in his grave every day. Bruce's favorite saying: "The future is yesteryear". Redskins will never be any good  as long as this bunch runs the show and I am angry that they weren't run out of town a long time ago.

• Like 1

checking back in here. Apathy reigns supreme. Especially after Bruce's media rounds recently. You expect them to lie to not give away their plans. But his lies are so weak and so bad. The rumors that they really think they're "this" close seem true.

Since they won't acknowledge reality and go nuclear to clean up this roster, then expect more of the same from 2019. Empty stadium. Low ratings. Indifference.

There is nothing to look forward to right now beyond a few players that are good and likable. 

16 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

checking back in here. Apathy reigns supreme. Especially after Bruce's media rounds recently. You expect them to lie to not give away their plans. But his lies are so weak and so bad. The rumors that they really think they're "this" close seem true.

Since they won't acknowledge reality and go nuclear to clean up this roster, then expect more of the same from 2019. Empty stadium. Low ratings. Indifference.

There is nothing to look forward to right now beyond a few players that are good and likable. 

Am hoping for a Tank for Tua season.  I think the only way you win with this ownership is dumb luck, meaning fall into a high pick, stud QB. 

t

If the Mods are reading, can I please be reinstated into the Tailgate forum? The NFL season is now completely over, my suspension is up. 

• Haha 2

AS long as Gruden is head coach, I'll be apathetic.  We've peaked with him and he has a ceiling that he will not surpass.

When we move on from him, I'll be excited again; for a while.

True, the new coach will have the severe handicap of Bruce Allen running things.

Year 1, probably time to spend adjusting to the new coach.  Our brief window of success under the coach will be in years 2-3.  Things start fall apart in year 4 and the new coach is fired either in year 4 or 5.   Then we start the cyle all over again.  No coach will have sustained success under Dan Snyder. At best, a playoff birth or two and then it's over.

Rinse and repeat.

I had completely forgotten that DC was getting a XFL team.  Since I've already checked out on the Redskins as it is, I'm actually a little excited about having a XFL team in my backyard.  I can see myself getting on board with that team.

• Like 1

If you could change your poll vote right now, would you?...my guess is "no" but was curious anyway lol...

4 hours ago, Califan007 said:

If you could change your poll vote right now, would you?...my guess is "no" but was curious anyway lol...

Dan/Bruce/Jay still here?  Yep.  No change to my vote.

On 2/5/2019 at 3:22 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

True, the new coach will have the severe handicap of Bruce Allen running things.

Bruce will not be allowed to pick the new coach.  If the record is such Jay gets fired, Bruce will most likely go as well.

On 2/4/2019 at 12:30 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Am hoping for a Tank for Tua season.  I think the only way you win with this ownership is dumb luck, meaning fall into a high pick, stud QB

Jay and Bruce are average enough to get us the 10th-15th pick every year.

Untill my family can no longer gather I'll be front n center cheering on the Redskins week in week out.. probably continue the tradition at home with immediate family... rooting on the Redskins scince 1977...