Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: How are you choosing to be a Redskins fan right now?

How are you choosing to be a Redskins fan right now?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. How are you choosing to be a Redskins fan right now?

• Angry Fan - you're livid and are actively involved in finding ways to let Snyder know how unacceptable this all is to you and many others...#firebruceallen #burnitalltothegroud
    • Depressed Fan - you're angry but more than that, you're just too drained emotionally to do anything about it...you're likely to hang out in the Tailgate for the forseeable future
    • Self-loathing Fan - you hate Snyder, hate the coaches, hate a lot of the players, but mostly hate yourself for still hanging on...you praise the Cowboys to deflect from the reality that you won't leave
    • Apathetic Fan - you just don't give a **** anymore...you're not angry and you're not happy...you're not gonna root for another team but spending Sundays at IKEA with your wife/gf doesn't sound so bad anymore
    • Cautiously Optimistic Fan - yeah, you hate how things seem to be going but, dammit, this is your team and you enjoy seeing the positives amidst the negatives..every season is a new season
    • Homer Fan - you don't let other people's doom and gloom get in your way of enjoying following the Redskins...looking forward to free agency and the draft, baby! This will be our year!
    • Laughing Fan - you find the dysfunction of the team, the tabloid-ish takes by the media, and the hysteria of the fanbase entertaining....you just grab some popcorn, sit back, and take it all in
    • Al Davis Fan - just win, baby...don't care about anything else but that. If we're not winning, I'm pissed. If we are winning, I'm good. Just win. Period.

23 hours ago, Alexa said:

We use to have the most intelligent fan base around. Now? Not so much. Dan and his wife released a statement sending condolences about JD Gibbs passing. All you saw on there was this bitter ass hastag community that just want Bruce Allen fired. Most of us do but to me that just wasn't the place for that BS. This is one of the  reasons I don't care as much. Some of the fans of this team kind of disgust me. 

I made a comment on twitter last week (I think) to someone who was promoting the FireBruceAllen hashtag deluge on every Redskins-related tweet...I said the actual result could very well end up being a backlash against people using it all the time no matter what the topic than it leading to Bruce being let go. I still stand behind that comment...it's channeling fan anger into something unproductive and that is being used without any overall plan.

If what you're saying is true and people were using JD Gibbs' death as a platform for Allen hatred, that's beyond pathetic. I honestly can't imagine too many Skins fans being happy seeing that in response to sending condolences to Joe Gibbs and his family.

I sometimes think that starting a hashtag movement to get Kyle Smith promoted would be a better way to go... like, #PromoteKyleSmith, or maybe some other up and coming FO exec that we want Snyder to consider that maybe he hasn't even heard of yet (#HireJoeBlow4GM or whatever)...but going that route doesn't express anger, which imo is the #1 reason for flooding tweet after tweet with the Fire Bruce hashtag--to vent.

What is it when you are 100% convinced that if we attempt to tank this year, we either will not have a top pick even if we go 2-14, will fail in the attempt or the QBs everybody seems to be hot about turn out to be fools gold (at least the one we get).  I also think we may end up as the team that missed the playoffs with the most wins ever.  We could also end up with another excuse filled mediocre season.

I just sit back and laugh. Sometimes it’s at the team, but it’s mostly at the fans and the reactions i see here and elsewhere. Too many live and die by every rumor floated out there. If someone kept a scorecard of how many of these rumors these media guys get from their “sources” that actually turn out to be right, they’d probably be less accurate than most weathermen. I save my anger for when actual news comes out. Not all these rumors that everyone flies off the handle about each and every day. I also don’t need to try to decifer motives and intentions of every Redskins executive and player. I can look at their track record and know they suck without trying to make up my own negative motives for their sucking. So when I see all the fans going crazy over rumors and speculation and all kids of things, I just sit back and laugh at them. 

I wish I was "choosing" to be a Redskins fan, then I could choose to not be a fan.  But I can't do that, it's in my blood.  It's like when you are attracted to a girl - you can't help it you just are. 

Except this girl is not even hot, she's atrocious and just getting uglier :(

2 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I wish I was "choosing" to be a Redskins fan, then I could choose to not be a fan.  But I can't do that, it's in my blood.  It's like when you are attracted to a girl - you can't help it you just are. 

EEXXAACTTLLYY

What makes it worse is I don't have it in me to want them to lose.  I still root for them to win, always will.  The fandom goes beyond Allen and Snyder.  They're trying to break me but they can't.  I can't ever see myself actively rooting for another team as a fan.   I'll always root for certain situational scenarios like whoever is playing Dallas, but as long as the Redskins are around, they're my one and only. 

Monday through Saturday my brain is critical, frustrated, angry, a lot of the 'negative' connotations of the team.  Sunday... they're still the Redskins and it's football.  Wanting to see them win overrides everything else.  To further your point.... all day / week you talk to your friends and they tell you how much better you could do... they tell you she's taking you for granted, she doesn't love you... you get irritated and question what you're doing.  Then you see her and it all goes away... you feel like you can't live without her.  

29 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

EEXXAACTTLLYY

What makes it worse is I don't have it in me to want them to lose.  I still root for them to win, always will.  The fandom goes beyond Allen and Snyder.  They're trying to break me but they can't.  I can't ever see myself actively rooting for another team as a fan.   I'll always root for certain situational scenarios like whoever is playing Dallas, but as long as the Redskins are around, they're my one and only. 

Monday through Saturday my brain is critical, frustrated, angry, a lot of the 'negative' connotations of the team.  Sunday... they're still the Redskins and it's football.  Wanting to see them win overrides everything else.  To further your point.... all day / week you talk to your friends and they tell you how much better you could do... they tell you she's taking you for granted, she doesn't love you... you get irritated and question what you're doing.  Then you see her and it all goes away... you feel like you can't live without her.  

Yeah I mean every Sunday I have about 3-4 people come over to my place to watch the games cause I have the 10 foot screen and power recliners to watch it on, and every sunday it's us basically talking **** about how the Skins will get blown out, go 3 and out, etc, like the entire game.  We're all jaded at this point and apathetic, however we still watch every damn second of the game and if they are in it at the end, win or lose, we're extremely into the game.   

Sometimes I wish I didn't care about sports so much in general.

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Spot on.

The choice was made long, long ago.  Even then I never looked at it as a choice.  I was born into it during the glory years.  Growing up in PG county in the 80’s it was all Redskins all the time.  I recall my grandfather joining the gunshots in the air after The Super Bowl against the Broncos.  I recall the blowout of the Bills in the Super Bowl vividly and remember my mom letting me skip school to go to work with her and attend the parade and her buying me more memorabilia than she could afford.  It’s ingrained in me, there is no choice.  One can never muster the same level of enthusiasm, adrenaline, etc. for another team when it’s become part of who you are.

Even though I know this organization is ran by buffoons that are so inept they can’t even luck into anything meaningful, and if they do they will screw that up too, I still get amped on Sunday during games.  However that light is flickering.  The only game this past season I could recall really feeling any level of that enthusiasm and adrenaline was the Dallas home game.  At this point, there is nothing short of drafting a QB that is instantly awesome that masks the deficiencies of everything else, that can reignite the flame.  That or cleaning house and hiring the absolute best replacements that have no connection to this current group of bozos in charge.

I'm probably a hybrid between about three of your Redskins fan types. Maybe more. But I tell ya, I could probably sit in a bar, have a beer and a reasonable conversation with all of them accept the homer fan. We'd probably end in a bar fight at some point because I'd end up saying shut da **** up bro with dat homer ****

10 hours ago, purbeast said:

This isn't really about choosing to be a Skins fan, though....it's about what type of fan you are choosing to be. And all of the types on the list are definitely choices.

So, what type of boyfriend are you gonna choose to be to this atrocious-and-only-getting-uglier girl you can't help but be in love with anyway? lol....

Currently, I don't consider myself to be a ' fan '.  I would call it being an ' observationalist '.

I will simply go about my day, and if anything Redskins-related pops up, I will simply take note and continue.

My true love is for the Washington Redskins of the 80's; a functional, energetic, perennial powerhouse team that every other team had to take special note of, because if they didn't the chances of beating the Redskins were small.

This current group of people who run this organization has no resemblance to them. I cannot relate in any way to how the organization is being conducted, therefore I am disconnected. Just like my toaster, un-plugged.

25 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Would have easily picked the self-loathing option if it weren't for the Cowboys portion and the obvious bias with which it was written. 

Right.

Nothing sports related makes my stomach turn like praising the Cowboys.  But I’m also honest and can  sadly admit that they are usually better and in a better spot than us in just about every way.  

On 1/15/2019 at 9:41 AM, DJHJR86 said:

When they traded for Alex Smith, I was angry for a day, and then reached (what I thought) peak apathy as a fan.  Going into this year is even more apathy.  I just don't care about anything.

They're going to bottom out next year.  Everything with this team is trending down and their only move now is a desperate free agent signing to try and create some buzz.

7 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Would have easily picked the self-loathing option if it weren't for the Cowboys portion and the obvious bias with which it was written. 

7 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Right.

Nothing sports related makes my stomach turn like praising the Cowboys.  But I’m also honest and can  sadly admit that they are usually better and in a better spot than us in just about every way.  

At what point did I say that the only reason for a Skins fan to praise the Cowboys was to deflect from their self-loathing?

Did I touch a button there? lol...

I posted this in another thread but it seems more relevant here:

Interesting fact: The Redskins have not won more than 10 games since 1991. And they have only won 10 games 3 times since 1991. The Redskins are the most average team, run by the most incompetent fools. From Vinny Cerrato to Bruce Allen the results are guaranteed to be the same. Somewhere between 5-9 wins and sneak into the playoffs just enough to keep it interesting. The Washington Redskins suck. Admit it.
2012 10-6-0
2005 10-6-0
1999 10-6-0
Sad, isn't it? 
By comparison, the Eagles have won 10 games or more 15 times since 1991
The Cowboys? 12 times
The Giants? 9 times
Cardinals? 4 times
49ers? 12 times
Seahawks? 9 times
Saints? 9 times
Bears? 6 times
Bucs? 6 times
Packers? 16 times
Lions? 4 times
Rams? 6 times
Vikings? 11 times
Falcons? 8 times
Since 95, the Panthers have achieved 10 wins or more 7 times
Patriots? 20 times
Chiefs? 12 times
Chargers? 7 times
Steelers? 17 times
Since 96, the Ravens, 10 times
Colts? 15 times
Broncos? 11 times
Jets? 6 times
Raiders? 5 times
Jaguars? 6 times
Dolphins? 8 times
Bills? 6 times
Titans? 8 times
Bengals? 6 times
Texans? 3 times who have only been around since 2002 have TIED the Redskins for 10 wins or more.

That leaves us with 1 team. What great company we are in:

The Browns 2 times

Btw, I chose 10 wins because I believe that is a good indicator that your team is making the playoffs.  8-9 wins can get it done and has for teams in down years for their division, but it doesn't happen very often.  Sneaking into the playoffs on a down year shouldn't be the goal, so 10 wins seems like you have a good chance of making the playoffs as a division leader or wild card.

Chose laughing fan because after I've taken a step back and really looked over this organization outside of my fandom, it's absolute absurdity. 

I'm also partially angry (the fanbase and the D.C. area deserves so much better than this) and apathetic (because I'm not spending a cent on this organization until changes are made from top-to-bottom) 

•  
  • Apathetic Fan was my choice.  As of right now the majority identified themselves in the same category.
  • I see the players and Gruden as stuck in the filling inside the Skins Oreo cookie management structure.
  • Allen (aka Prince of Darkness) represents the bottom half of the cookie and Snyder represents the top half of the Oreo cookie.
  • Next season I am going to tape each game and then decide on a week to week basis weather or not I want to spend 3 hours out of my weekend watching the outcome or not.
  • I picked them this year to go 8-8.  If I were a betting man, I would bet that next year this team will have a much worse record.

I wish I could go back to the way things were when I was a kid...watch whatever game was nationally televised and watch ESPN for highlights for games I couldn't watch.. from the age of 8-12 I'd go to scooners with my dad in Palmdale Ca on Monday nights to watch the skins girls game where I was allowed to throw the peanut shells on the floor so I imagine that's mainly the reason for going.

Fast forward to being an old enough child to be able to go into sports bars. This is when my best friend introduced me into watching the games at the sports bar... I would go so we could watch his dolphins game, get drunk and be respectfuly silly drunks..eventually I got in good enough at the bar where I could have a TV on with the Redskins playing.. so he would watch his dolphins game and I would watch the Skins play.. scince than I've been hooked. Despite everything that has gone on I still drag my self back year after year.

Archived