Riggo-toni

Take the full cap hit for Smith in 2019

When should we take the cap hit for the Alex Smith fiasco  

126 members have voted

  1. 1. When do we take the hit

    • All 40 million in 2019, even though it will mean gutting the roster
      84
    • Post June 2018, splitting losses between 2019 and 2020
      18
    • Keep on roster for 2019 and absorb salary hit, then cut post June 2019 to split remaining dead cap space between 2020 and 2021
      24


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

 

-A generational type QB is the only reason to do it. So if Dolphins have locked in on this “opportunity window” to get their generational QB, then I can roll with it. 

 

Agree

 

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

 

Yes, it’s difficult to spin next season in way of 10 wins with current QB situation. If the defense can hit on a free agent pass rusher, some optimism will return. That unit isn’t too far from being able to lead a team for a season. 

 

 

I think they are potentially weak at safety too -- they might need a Mike MLB.   Doubt they get their pass rusher in FA, high premium position in FA.  But maybe a cheaper variety like Shane Ray?    I think for optimism to resurface with average fans, they'd need to for a change either sign a big name (old school Dan) or draft Haskins or Murray.

 

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

 

 

In the moment, value still exists in having a mobile QB. The NFL is beginning to shift and value these guys much higher in the draft, so window is closing to get amazing value, but it’s still there. 

 

I think there is another layer to it with a team with has a good running game with or without the QB because it makes the RO, RPOs more lethal and harder to game plan against.  And with Guice and maybe Peterson we'd have the horses for a good running game.  If like KC-Rams you add a heavy component of sweeps and fake sweeps if you land a speedy receiver even better.  But you want to put a lot on the defense's plate to worry about.  The QB taking off.  Guice.  Some receiver like Marquise Brown taking a sweep to the house or on an RPO taking a screen to the house, etc.

 

I think Kyler Murray is that guy.  If he comes out and I were Bruce-Jay I'd try to make that happen.  I think he's their best shot to save their jobs.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recently Stephen A Smith said the Skins should go after Nick Foles.  But he did not say how we could afford him.  He just said Skins could run similar offense that Eagles ran for him.   The Prince of Darkness has indicated they are not going to tank by taking the full cap hit for Smith next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Recently Stephen A Smith said the Skins should go after Nick Foles.  But he did not say how we could afford him.  He just said Skins could run similar offense that Eagles ran for him.   The Prince of Darkness has indicated they are not going to tank by taking the full cap hit for Smith next season.

 

Listened to Keim on a podcast the other day along with Finlay, the impressions I got was:

 

A.  They aren't giving up that Alex could be back in 2020 but regardless he might be good to mentor the next guy so upside to keep him here

B.  Unlikely spending big in FA at QB, maybe a FA they could get cheap

C.  QB is in play in this draft

 

All are obvious points.   But back to Alex, according to Sheehan's sources they'd need to keep him around to exhaust the insurance they have on the contract.  If they collect the insurance money, they need to show that they tried to get him back healthy to play and it just didn't work. 

 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Recently Stephen A Smith said the Skins should go after Nick Foles.  But he did not say how we could afford him.  He just said Skins could run similar offense that Eagles ran for him.   The Prince of Darkness has indicated they are not going to tank by taking the full cap hit for Smith next season.

 

If we want Foles, we can afford him. We have a reported just over 20mil in cap space at present. Getting that up to 35-40mil isn't that difficult.

 

Doesn't make a lot of sense for us though. 

Edited by UK SKINS FAN '74

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smith supporters will be rooting for the 43 year old Anderson Silva to win this evening.  Fibula and tibia be damned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2019 at 2:15 PM, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

 

If we want Foles, we can afford him. We have a reported just over 20mil in cap space at present. Getting that up to 35-40mil isn't that difficult.

 

Doesn't make a lot of sense for us though. 

Why? We need a QB. We could then use the draft to fill in all of our holes and not have to think about trading up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2019 at 11:43 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

 

Agree

 

 

I think they are potentially weak at safety too -- they might need a Mike MLB.   Doubt they get their pass rusher in FA, high premium position in FA.  But maybe a cheaper variety like Shane Ray?    I think for optimism to resurface with average fans, they'd need to for a change either sign a big name (old school Dan) or draft Haskins or Murray.

 

 

I think there is another layer to it with a team with has a good running game with or without the QB because it makes the RO, RPOs more lethal and harder to game plan against.  And with Guice and maybe Peterson we'd have the horses for a good running game.  If like KC-Rams you add a heavy component of sweeps and fake sweeps if you land a speedy receiver even better.  But you want to put a lot on the defense's plate to worry about.  The QB taking off.  Guice.  Some receiver like Marquise Brown taking a sweep to the house or on an RPO taking a screen to the house, etc.

 

I think Kyler Murray is that guy.  If he comes out and I were Bruce-Jay I'd try to make that happen.  I think he's their best shot to save their jobs.  

 

Such high quality posting from the SiP.

 

To get anything significant out of any offensive personnel I think we are going to need an upgrade at HC.

 

Edited by volsmet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a thoroughly painful thread to read.....

 

I am at the point where I fully expect that whatever the worst imaginable option that costs the most with the least return that also hamstrings the team for years to come will be the one chosen. This organization flatout doesn't know what the **** it is doing.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2019 at 2:37 AM, FrFan said:

They're too dumb to tank, remmeber in 2012 they could have tanked and get RG3 without selling the farm.

They went 2-10 in the final 3/4's of the season.  It doesnt get more tankier than that

Edited by hatchetwound

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hatchetwound said:

They went 2-10 in the final 3/4's of the season.  It doesnt get more tankier than that

Tanking starts at the beginning of the season Colts finished 2-14 they won their 2 games in week 15 and 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 4:20 PM, wit33 said:

Smith supporters will be rooting for the 43 year old Anderson Silva to win this evening.  Fibula and tibia be damned. 

I hope he makes it back. This team is doomed without his 168 yards per game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2019 at 7:59 AM, OVCChairman said:

What the evil owner in Major League did was Tank

 

What Billy Beane did was rebuild for the future.  

 

I feel like the two get lumped together when they're not the same.  

 

I agree.  The thing is, this franchise is so damn insecure that they're incapable of doing what needs to be done for the long term.  If we had a real GM who felt safe and secure and confident, he wouldn't have any problem making smart moves that are in the long term best interests of the team.   In public statements, he'd say "we anticipate this might be a difficult year because of our cap situation, but we're competing on the field this season while trying to build a team that can achieve sustained success."   Many of the fans would be on board with a "rebuild" if done properly and by the correct people.  That's something that Snyder and Allen don't seem to get.  Thinking we're "close" year after year because they're so insecure and worried about fans fleeing is part of what's getting us in to this horrible position.

 

Like many here, I'd like to cut Smith and take the entire cap hit this year, then make a lot of cuts and trades that right now might seem unthinkable (Kerrigan, etc.).  Now is the time to make what seem like painful moves but will end up being the right ones.  Also, sign Scherff and a few others to long-term deals and front-load as much of the guaranteed money as feasible.   

 

Honestly, I feel like this offseason presents a tremendous opportunity, one that we haven't seen since the 2015 season when we had an opportunity to lock up Cousins on the cheap for several years, which in my opinion by now would've end up being a great deal.  Unfortunately, Snyder and Allen are incapable of thinking strategically and taking a long term view.   It's painful.  Maybe, maybe, maybe next season Snyder finally realizes how bad it's gotten and gets rid of Bruce Allen and hires a real GM and we get a real front office.   Better late than never.  But by then this opportunity to start the rebuild this year will be gone.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

I hope he makes it back. This team is doomed without his 168 yards per game.

 

Is this fantasy football talk? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LD0506 said:

What a thoroughly painful thread to read.....

 

I am at the point where I fully expect that whatever the worst imaginable option that costs the most with the least return that also hamstrings the team for years to come will be the one chosen. This organization flatout doesn't know what the **** it is doing.

Agreed 100%.

 

This organization never does things in an intelligent manner. They have no foresight, vision, or ability to think outside the box.  The Smith trade last year was 100% indicative of that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Agreed 100%.

 

This organization never does things in an intelligent manner. They have no foresight, vision, or ability to think outside the box.  The Smith trade last year was 100% indicative of that.

 

Add him to the long list of Skins QBs with a winning record. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Coach Janky Spanky said:

 

I agree.  The thing is, this franchise is so damn insecure that they're incapable of doing what needs to be done for the long term.  If we had a real GM who felt safe and secure and confident, he wouldn't have any problem making smart moves that are in the long term best interests of the team.   In public statements, he'd say "we anticipate this might be a difficult year because of our cap situation, but we're competing on the field this season while trying to build a team that can achieve sustained success."   Many of the fans would be on board with a "rebuild" if done properly and by the correct people.  That's something that Snyder and Allen don't seem to get.  T

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

This organization never does things in an intelligent manner. They have no foresight, vision, or ability to think outside the box. 

giphy.gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LD0506 said:

What a thoroughly painful thread to read.....

 

I am at the point where I fully expect that whatever the worst imaginable option that costs the most with the least return that also hamstrings the team for years to come will be the one chosen. This organization flatout doesn't know what the **** it is doing.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wit33 said:

 

Add him to the long list of Skins QBs with a winning record. 

Evaluating individuals on W/L record in a team sport is absurdly dumb.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Evaluating individuals on W/L record in a team sport is absurdly dumb.

 

Wonder why the QBs get paid so much more than their “teammates”. 

 

Its not an end all be all stat, but it’s a good stat for Smith. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On the Junks this morning they were saying a close friend was saying something like "no way" he plays again.  Who knows but we are stuck this year with his $$.

Edited by HigSkin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2019 at 11:11 PM, wit33 said:

 

 

Its not an end all be all stat, but it’s a good stat for Smith. 

 

I'd go with postseason W L record if you are going to pay a 13 year vet franchise money.

 

But then we might end up with a Trent Dilfer or Mark Sanchez because the team is ran by certified buffoons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes, I think the NFL needs to create a Cap rule to partially insulate teams from the scenario that we have been place into by our wonderful FO.  In the case of catastrophic injury to a player with a Smith or Cousins type contract, give the team some sort of Cap relief.  Obviously, it would need to be closely monitored and an exception to the rule.  Maybe even give a team 1 relief option per 10 years.

 

This should also be a wake up call for every FO in the league, but it won't be.  It had better be a wake up call for OUR FO.  First. we gave up the future for RG3 and he was a flash in the pan until his injury and now we mortgage our Cap future by overpaying an aging vet and dump him behind a weak OL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

With how out of control the QB salaries are getting what the league needs to do is separate the salary cap in to QB's and then the rest of the team.  Its really hurting other non-QB players.

Edited by HigSkin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

Sometimes, I think the NFL needs to create a Cap rule to partially insulate teams from the scenario that we have been place into by our wonderful FO.  In the case of catastrophic injury to a player with a Smith or Cousins type contract, give the team some sort of Cap relief.  Obviously, it would need to be closely monitored and an exception to the rule.  Maybe even give a team 1 relief option per 10 years.

 

This should also be a wake up call for every FO in the league, but it won't be.  It had better be a wake up call for OUR FO.  First. we gave up the future for RG3 and he was a flash in the pan until his injury and now we mortgage our Cap future by overpaying an aging vet and dump him behind a weak OL.

I've thought this too. It'd be kind of cool if after a player is put on IR who is afterwards gone for the year that his cap hit is halved. I agree with you that this should trigger only for a major/catastrophic injury, but you could trigger this by listing types of injury or surgery or have the team specifically apply and state its case why this particularly player rates the cap return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.