• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      Good afternoon Redskins fans!  I have once again been invited to sit in the relative comfort of the press box and shout my thoughts into the void via this blog.  As you watch the game today and see the rain  pour relentlessly from the heavens, know that I am safe and dry.  Know also that @Spaceman Spiff is out there somewhere, cold and unappreciated, rolling around in the muck trying to capture that perfect picture.  Maybe say a little prayer for his health (or laugh, whatever, I’m not judging you).  Also, be sure not to miss the pictures he posts on this site after each game.     

Before we get into today's Redskins game, I want give some thanks for more positive occurrences in DC sports.  Congrats to the Washington Mystics for winning their first championship.  Congrats go out to the Washington Nationals as well for reaching the world series.  These two teams (along with the Caps) are working hard to change the sports related mood around this town, and we're all happier for it. 

Lets move now into less cheerful topics, namely your Washington Redskins!  Yow know things are going bad, and I mean really dang bad, when your team has gone through three quarterbacks and two coaches and your not even half way through the season.  Today's fresh hell comes in the form of a specter of the our recent past coming to smirk at our misfortune.  Im talking of course of Kyle.  Kyle's spent the week assuring everyone that he isn’t holding a grudge, while very obviously holding a grudge.  “Everything else.”  You know what I’m talking about. 

If all he brought to town were his hurt feelings we wouldn’t have a problem.  Sadly, he’s arrived with an undefeated football team that the NFL says we have to play this week.  This feels entirely unfair. 

My generic key to the game:  Run the ball and stop the run.  The team (spoiler alert: 49ers) that does this today will win.   

Redskins Inactives  
      QB Colt McCoy  
      S Deshazor Everett  
      CB Josh Norman  
      RB Chris THompson  
      LB Josh Harvey-Clemons 
      G Wes Martin  
      TE Vernon Davis  

49ers inactives  
      QB CJ Beathard 
      WR Deebo Samuel  
      CB Ahkello Witherspoon  
      FB Kyle Juszczyk 
      T Mike McGLinchey 
      T Joe Staley 
      DL DJ Jones 

1st Quarter Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers

Callahan wasn’t playing around when he said he wanted to run the ball.  That first drive was all runs, and looked great... right up until they tried to pass the ball.  Hopkins missed the relatively short fied goal, because of course he did.     

Maybe Quinn isn’t a good choice to be returning punts?  Consider it.    

That second Redskins drive looked more like what we’ve come to expect from this offense.  Run for negative yards, pass dropped, and an unsuccessful screen pass.  A quintessential Redskins three and out. 

Passing yards this quarter:  Redskins 3. 49ers 9.  Are you not entertained?! 

Half Time Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers 

How happy are you to spend your Sunday afternoon watching this game?  Consider that some people paid money, to sit in a poncho, in the rain, to watch this game. 

It’s now time for those half time adjustments that our beloved skins do so well.  It’s unlikely the second half mirrors the first. 

3rd Quarter Update 
      Redskins 0 – 3 49ers  

Good news, this game will not end in a 0-0 tie.  Those half time adjustments have kicked in as expected and the 49ers have found a way onto the scoreboard in this messy throwback game.  The Redskins have decided to spend the second half collecting holding penalties and sadness.  Mercifully, only one quarter remains. 

End of Game Update 
      Redskins 0 – 9 49ers 

Callahan hasn’t spent much time as the head coach of the Washington Redskins, but he’s already proven that his team can waste 2nd half timeouts like a veteran.  It makes little sense to adopt a strategy that shortens the game when your team is losing, and it makes even less sense when your team is short on time outs.  I’m not really sure what the thinking as late in this game.    

Next week Kirk Cousins!   

Riggo-toni

Take the full cap hit for Smith in 2019

When should we take the cap hit for the Alex Smith fiasco  

126 members have voted

1. 1. When do we take the hit

• All 40 million in 2019, even though it will mean gutting the roster
    • Post June 2018, splitting losses between 2019 and 2020
    • Keep on roster for 2019 and absorb salary hit, then cut post June 2019 to split remaining dead cap space between 2020 and 2021

4 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Absolutely, but that's their call.  They've earned that 'right'.  Meaning they can decide they want to leave, but they shouldn't be made a cap casualty.  If they want out, they can have that conversation and go from there. If they choose to sign elsewhere instead of here after their contract expires, that's their right as well.  My point is they deserve to be protected from being a cap casualty.  They're both playing to the level of their contracts.  

That would amaze me, but if that's the case, so be it... still not 'set' there, if nothing else we'd need depth. 

Vigil played very well there in 2017 and we have Harvey Clemons. 

1 minute ago, OVCChairman said:

Absolutely, but that's their call.  They've earned that 'right'.  Meaning they can decide they want to leave, but they shouldn't be made a cap casualty.  If they want out, they can have that conversation and go from there. If they choose to sign elsewhere instead of here after their contract expires, that's their right as well.  My point is they deserve to be protected from being a cap casualty.  They're both playing to the level of their contracts.  

Ryan Kerrigan is one of two jerseys i have. He went to Purdue like i did so I have followed his career. He is easily my favorite player on the team. For the record my thought was to restructure his contract if he will do that. If not, look to trade him. 

I listed before to release him was an option. But you are changing my mind. I still see restructure or trade. Same with Trent Williams. If they will take less money, great, If not, trade them. Restructuring gives them more options. 

5 minutes ago, carex said:

Vigil played very well there in 2017 and we have Harvey Clemons. 

Asking those 4 to replace 2 ILBs that were each in the top 10 of tackles in the LEAGUE over the last 2 seasons (Brown in 17 and Foster in 18) is A LOT.  I could be wrong, but isn't Clemmons far more suited for pass defense?  

Zach Brown - 6'1 - 250

Mason Foster - 6'1 - 250

Reuben Foster - 6'1 - 228

Shaun Dion-Hamilton - 6'0 - 235

Josh Harvey Clemons - 6'4 - 230

Zach Vigil - 6'2 - 240

I worry about size.  There's a good bit of speed there, but over the course of the game, these 4 guys are going to be asked to a lot in Manusky's system... can they hold up?  Can they attack the line like we need them to.  Can they fill a gap and take on a pulling guard?  I don't know.  For comparison sake, Roquan Smith is 6'1 - 236, so I understand we don't need a tank in the middle... I'd just be curious if these guys can do what we're going to need them to do.  

10 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Ryan Kerrigan is one of two jerseys i have. He went to Purdue like i did so I have followed his career. He is easily my favorite player on the team. For the record my thought was to restructure his contract if he will do that. If not, look to trade him. 

I listed before to release him was an option. But you are changing my mind. I still see restructure or trade. Same with Trent Williams. If they will take less money, great, If not, trade them. Restructuring gives them more options. 

I honestly dont want to see either one of them in a different uni.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Ok so then we would have to add 2 ILB, 2 TEs (when Gruden loves playing out of a 3 TE set), Starting CB, Starting LT, Starting OLB to the list of needs.

I understand the idea that we need to open up space, and to a point I agree, but NONE of those positions have a viable option waiting in the wings.  ILB MIGHT be OK with Hamilton and Reuben Foster, but Foster is likely to get suspended for the first 4 - 6 games of the season.  

I'd CUT

Norman

Brown

McGee

I'd look to trade Reed and see if you can get something for him. 

Trent and Kerrigan have earned the right to retire as Redskins.  They fall into the same category with me as Darrell Green did with the Redskins and Ryan Zimmerman does with the Nationals.   They're ring of fame, 'legacy' players.  Make cap room elsewhere, they've earned that protection.

Of course this is the Redskins so who knows.... 

Understood, but I'm coming from the angle of a complete tear down and rebuild.  Cut all the dead cap,  Trade all the tradeable assets.  Fill up the roster with cheap UDFA's and guys on the street.  Use 2019 to determine which of these scrubs can play a little football and these will be our depth going forward.  I want this roster to make the Shane Falco Sentinals look like an all star team.  

Do everything we can to load up with 2020 draft picks (while getting the highest possible set of our own picks).  I had a post before with a dream scenario of trading 2019 picks for a boat load to future picks.  Plus with trades we should have a TON of picks to get all of those replacements.

PLUS, with a bare bones roster, we'll be paying squat.  And all that saved cap rolls over into the following year.  Think about it.  No draft, no roster this year.  Then draft 15-20 people in 2020.  Then in 2021, have another full draft PLUS a young team going into their second year PLUS a TON of cap space to sign FA's.  We are talking from being a 0 in 2019 to a probable playoff team in 2021 and a legit contender in 2022.

Treading water isnt getting it done.  We need to tear down this old rickety building, gentrify the culture in the locker room (a lot of guys in 2019 fighting to make the roster in 2020 will be hard working, salt of the earth guys), and get the assets to build a skyscraper!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hatchetwound said:

Understood, but I'm coming from the angle of a complete tear down and rebuild.  Cut all the dead cap,  Trade all the tradeable assets.  Fill up the roster with cheap UDFA's and guys on the street.  Use 2019 to determine which of these scrubs can play a little football and these will be our depth going forward.  I want this roster to make the Shane Falco Sentinals look like an all star team.  

Do everything we can to load up with 2020 draft picks (while getting the highest possible set of our own picks).  I had a post before with a dream scenario of trading 2019 picks for a boat load to future picks.  Plus with trades we should have a TON of picks to get all of those replacements.

PLUS, with a bare bones roster, we'll be paying squat.  And all that saved cap rolls over into the following year.  Think about it.  No draft, no roster this year.  Then draft 15-20 people in 2020.  Then in 2021, have another full draft PLUS a young team going into their second year PLUS a TON of cap space to sign FA's.  We are talking from being a 0 in 2019 to a probable playoff team in 2021 and a legit contender in 2022.

Treading water isnt getting it done.  We need to tear down this old rickety building, gentrify the culture in the locker room (a lot of guys in 2019 fighting to make the roster in 2020 will be hard working, salt of the earth guys), and get the assets to build a skyscraper!

I get it, and it's a very valid plan and argument. 

Speaking purely from my personal standpoint, i don't think were that far off, the problem is the pieces with the most influence are the most detrimental.  Talent wise, we're not completely baron.  There's valuable talent here that can be effective.   The problem is we don't have that much TOP end talent, and we don't have talent where it matters most.  The question from this thread was shifting the entirety of the cap hit for Alex into this coming season.  If you could do that, a few key moves and we're contending for a division title in 2020.   

We were 6-3 when Alex (a serviceable QB) went down.  What followed was an overwhelming disaster that trickled down from the top.  Alex may not have been lighting the fire, but I do believe that he was mitigating quite a bit of the issue.  I don't think Alex was playing to his contract, and the worst case scenario happened... but if we can flex it into 2019 and take it on the chin for 1 single season....  

My main issue is Gruden.  We're not using our talent CORRECTLY.   That's not to say were some world beating team, but if we can find ourselves some top end talent, it changes the dynamic from the top to the bottom.  It's not as difficult as a position by position breakdown.  I personally feel we fall into the trap that we analyze each individual positional performance, without looking at how each position effects the other ones.  We don't need 22 new week 1 starters.  I'd argue 5 KEY starters over the next 2 drafts could change the whole dynamic of the offense... even if you change very little from the rest of it. 

1. QB - Duh.. 

2. WR - I've been beating the drum for Marquise Brown because of how dynamic he is.  He forces defenses to respect his game which changes things across the whole scope of the offense.  He's got the ability to score every time he touches the ball.  That changes defensive alignments.  That means a Safety has to pay attention to him a little bit.  That means the WR on the other side is going to have more 1 on 1 chances.  You can move him around much like Tyreek Hill.  Did you see Tyreek Hill's TD on the reverse this past weekend?  You can then fake the jet sweep and do so much out of it.  Lighten the load on all pieces of the offense, INCLUDING the O-line.

3. LG - I'd love to have Brandon Scherff 2.0 (I really wanted Quenton Nelson) but those guy's arent always out there.  I just need a guy who can handle himself and give me a full season.  The rotation at LG was as, or even more detrimental, than losing the starter.  Continuity suffers, playcalling suffers, offensive schematics suffer, because it's an INFERIOR talent who has to learn a whole new system.  I don't need a world beater (but i'll GLADLY take one), I just need a guy who doesn't force me to change my offense every 2 weeks because we constantly have to simplify it to transition in a new body.  

4.  FS - This could be HAHA.  I don't think we saw everything he has to offer this past year.  He wasn't great, at times he wasn't even 'OK', but i just need a center fielder.   Someone who can understand the defensive alignment, can read and react, and can attack the ball.  Haha does not have that reputation so i'm not holding my breath.  I don't NEED Sean Taylor (But i'll gladly take him).  I'm not worried so much about man to man coverage skills because I don't want him schemed up to be in man very often.  I pay DBs / ILBs for that. 

5.  Edge - If we can get a guy who can consistently control the pocket and attack it, it changes everything.  I think Preston Smith has flashed, and I don't think we used him in that role often enough this year.  He was asked to play the run quite a bit and I think his numbers suffered from it.  It make work in our favor as his $$ number might have dropped a bit.  If we can get a guy who can get around the edge (I love Polite in the draft), then we can push the QB UP in the pocket right into the strength of our defense.  It prevents the QB from planting and throwing... it changes, much like a good WR does, the whole dynamic on that side of the ball. 

Now where this all TRULY matters is coaching.  I want to see these players, and the current players, used better.  I want to see more RB screens.  I DON'T want to see AP running out of shotgun.  I want to see more DB / S blitzes.  USE the talent we have... even if they're not getting the ball or intended to make the tackle.  The pieces we have NOW could have won us 10 games this year.... I just don't think they doing what was needed to take full advantage of their ability.  As it stands NOW, I don't see us being very good next season... but (and this is really going to irritate some people) with someone like McVay, Reid, or any real upgrade in philosophy, we're not as far as we may seem.  It obviously all starts at the top... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

just so you know there's also a cap floor and frankly I can see the NFL punishing us for essentially throwing games.  When the Colts decided to suck for Luck all they did was not try to get a quality starting QB after all, it wasn't all that obvious

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 7:14 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

God, yes.  This is what I'd do.  It'd be my goal to get so many picks for 2020 and 2021. 

I love the fact that only rebuild strategy anyone ever has is to copy the Cowboys under Jimmy Johnson even though that happened 30 years ago in an uncapped league.

I think the problem with "tanking" in the NFL is that you turn over around 1/4 to 1/3 of the roster every year just in a matter of course. Suddenly filling the roster with guys who are there to be cut the next year, pushes you to 1/2 or even 3/4 roster turnover which really throws you into a cycle of chaos that will probably take 3 or 4 years to get out of - at which point all those #1s, #2s, and #3s you drafted in those heavily stockpiled drafts suddenly need their second contracts.

The idea that you can grab, say, 30 guys in two years and keep them together for 5 or 6 years is simply not possible in the modern NFL. So, all you really are doing by stockpiling picks to one draft is condensing a three year plan to a one year plan and training your team to get the **** kicked out of it every week, because you are going to be horrifically bad in this plan.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, carex said:

just so you know there's also a cap floor and frankly I can see the NFL punishing us for essentially throwing games.  When the Colts decided to suck for Luck all they did was not try to get a quality starting QB after all, it wasn't all that obvious

Yes, but

a) a cap floor is for a 4 year span, not 1

b) with the dead cap hit with Smith, we are in very little risk of hitting it

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I love the fact that only rebuild strategy anyone ever has is to copy the Cowboys under Jimmy Johnson even though that happened 30 years ago in an uncapped league.

That rebuild really began with the Herschel Walker trade of ‘90 to the Vikes. Dallas recieved Minnesota ‘s 1st and 2nd round picks in ‘90, ‘91 and ‘92. The Cowboys also recieved 5 players. Frankly, I dont think Dallas could’ve pulled off that rebuild without that whopper of a trade. And, I dont think we currently have many marquee players that would net us three 1st rounders. 

Edited by JaxJoe

If the DL is coming along as well as we think (despite sluggish, high effort rushers on the edge--I think we all agree the interior is very talented) then we have to consider that that's why Foster and Brown are near the top of the league in the quantitative stat of "tackles". Doesn't necessarily speak to their skill if they're being kept fairly clean. Or if their tackles are coming further downfield, then they're getting the numbers but giving up yardage. There's no context in the raw "tackles" stat. It doesn't mean Foster and Brown are irreplaceable or even far above replacement-level. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, hatchetwound said:

I like this plan and I've proposed the same thing, but this organization has never committed to any sort of real long term rebuilding with vision and planning.

We're gunna restructure a bunch of vets and try to sign a Flacco or Dalton. That's just what this organization does.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, hatchetwound said:

Awesome idea and what’s totally needed but, this type of situation imho would also mean a total over haul of coaches and staff as well and the FO too. This scenario would probably be best suited after the 2019 to occur. My reasons why:

1) If this plan were to actually take flight and happen I do not see Gruden & Co. being able to lead a band of misfits like this would result in and more importantly in the time frame you gave of being a outright contender in 2022. I do not think he’d be able to get us moving forward from this season till then.

2) The current FO if they would even do something like this would more then likely (if not guaranteed) mess it up and all the picks we would be getting for next season would trade them away only to move up in next seasons draft and grab what they suppose would be the end all be all pick to get us to the promised land. They don’t have the patience to see something like this plan through or the thought process either.  Many people struggle in anything in life to come to grips that a complete over haul is needed even more so for a FO to come to grips with this reasoning.

Honestly this season going 6-3 with Smith at the helm may actually and is this FO dimise imho, I bet their mind set is this team is only a good QB away from being a true contender.  In many ways the season went south fast after the Smith injury so this FO isn’t in rebuild mind set but addition mode I feel

Edited by ashlynskins
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, ashlynskins said:

In many ways the season went south fast after the Smith injury so this FO isn’t in rebuild mind set but addition mode I feel

Let's be real.

The season was already going south while he was still playing. The Redskins weren't going anywhere with or without him.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

We're gunna restructure a bunch of vets and try to sign a Flacco or Dalton. That's just what this organization does.

Agreed.

there is no June 1st provision in 2020 due to the CBA expiring, so dead cap on the Smith deal isn't heading into 2021.

I expected Flacco but his contract may just be too rich.

Dalton basically has 2 years and 34mil left on his deal. That probably fits better both time wise and cost/value with what the FO want, plus it fits with the end of the CBA so no commitment into 2021 and the new deal/or lockout year.

On 1/14/2019 at 12:15 PM, DJD2 said:

If they can do it all in 2019, then go ahead and rip the band-aid off.

But that may cause yet another infection...!

(too soon?)

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 4:27 AM, SkinsFTW said:

Let's be real.

The season was already going south while he was still playing. The Redskins weren't going anywhere with or without him.

I agree with you,  though I do think the record would have at least been reversed to 9-7...my point was my assuming the mind set of the FO that the team is 1 QB away from contending.

The Redskins have massive holes to fill.  Not just QB, but all over the place.

The Snyder/Williams/Allen front office is not capable of filling holes without creating new holes.

They ended the 2018 season as THE worst team in the NFL and will start the 2019 season the same.

I'd take as much cap hit as possible in 2019, tank the season, hire a "REAL" GM and start all over again.

But, of course, we all know that won't happen.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2019 at 4:27 AM, SkinsFTW said:

Let's be real.

I don't necessarily agree with this...Alex looked weak during his time in there but he was also in a new system. Who's to say he wouldn't have gotten more comfortable and made more plays downfield? Also, maybe more stuff would've been put in for him as the season progressed. That being said, Alex wasn't setting the world on fire and his 105 yard pick 6 against Houston was a killer. We'd have won that game without that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dang, Alex has a halo devise holding things together. Have to wonder if there is any length issues when all is healed up. I'm thinking football is a no for 2019

• Like 2

As for the tweet below, hopefully that's not true.  But first and foremost hopefully the dude is OK. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 10:02 PM, JaxJoe said:

And, I dont think we currently have many marquee players that would net us three 1st rounders. 

What kind of idiot would trade 3 first rounders for just one player?!?...oh, yeah... #brucifer

On 1/18/2019 at 9:31 AM, ashlynskins said:

Awesome idea and what’s totally needed but, this type of situation imho would also mean a total over haul of coaches and staff as well and the FO too. This scenario would probably be best suited after the 2019 to occur. My reasons why:

1) If this plan were to actually take flight and happen I do not see Gruden & Co. being able to lead a band of misfits like this would result in and more importantly in the time frame you gave of being a outright contender in 2022. I do not think he’d be able to get us moving forward from this season till then.

2) The current FO if they would even do something like this would more then likely (if not guaranteed) mess it up and all the picks we would be getting for next season would trade them away only to move up in next seasons draft and grab what they suppose would be the end all be all pick to get us to the promised land. They don’t have the patience to see something like this plan through or the thought process either.  Many people struggle in anything in life to come to grips that a complete over haul is needed even more so for a FO to come to grips with this reasoning.

Honestly this season going 6-3 with Smith at the helm may actually and is this FO dimise imho, I bet their mind set is this team is only a good QB away from being a true contender.  In many ways the season went south fast after the Smith injury so this FO isn’t in rebuild mind set but addition mode I feel

What I fear is that they will look at the Smith situation last year and what happened after he got injured.  We were 6-3 and at the top of the division.  He goes down and so does the team.  Smith is a franchise QB in the sense that he will win games for you, but we all know he is not a top tier one Rodgers or Mahomes.   So with just an AVERAGE franchise QB, we are leading the division, Im sure that confirms in Bruce's mind that if we get that top tier QB, we are able to contend right now.  "If we turned field goals into TD's, we could have one that Colts game and be 7-2! A High end Franchise QB would have done that"  

• Like 1