Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Nest camera system was hacked last night (and other smart home camera hackery)

Springfield

18 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It's getting to the point where it's unavoidable.

We may soon get to the point, for example, where all TV's being sold are smart TV's.

Although I guess for that you could put drapes over the whole TV when you're not using it, but then again, that wouldn't stop them from getting audio from your house.

Just don't connect the TV to your network and you'll be fine.

• Like 1

I woke up to 3 emails from different things saying attempts had been made to access accounts.  Wife and I just changed passwords to everything we could think of that is password protected (except ES, don't think anyone will attempt to post for me).  Now lets see how long it takes us to memorize all these changes.........

The NEST company seems to suck.

You can watch the video of the Yorba Linda plane crash from somebody's NEST camera here (may be graphic):

https://video.nest.com/clip/64a943efd2854b6bbabf56d7b337d5ab.mp4?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

What is sick, however, is the popup that comes at the end of the video where it says "Meet the camera behind the clip."  So NEST is using this video where someone died to advertise their product.  Lovely.

This came across my newsfeed yesterday, thought I’d share. I generally have great respect for Google’s security group.  But letting them ship your passwords around their system so they can check it against known to be compromised credentials makes something inside me scream “NO don’t do that!”  I think I’d prefer if it was just the username and if found it kicked back “hey we saw it with these passwords, change if it you haven’t already”

I assume their hashing it am shipping the hashed version around but I certainly don’t know that 

but anyways, this could very well be a good tool. I haven’t tried it yet. 

http://security.googleblog.com/2019/02/protect-your-accounts-from-data.html

Edit: it says they specifically took care against that. It’s developed by then and Stanford. They certainly know more about than me. It specifically says they go through a process to hash it. So I guess I shouldn’t be so concerned. Still doesn’t sit right. 

Edited by tshile

Email I just got from Nest:

Hello,

In recent weeks, we’ve heard from people experiencing issues with their Nest devices. We’re reaching out to assure you that Nest security has not been breached or compromised. We also want to remind you of a few easy things you can do to get the most out of Nest’s security features. 

For context, even though Nest was not breached, customers may be vulnerable because their email addresses and passwords are freely available on the internet. If a website is compromised, it’s possible for someone to gain access to user email addresses and passwords, and from there, gain access to any accounts that use the same login credentials. For example, if you use your Nest password for a shopping site account and the site is breached, your login information could end up in the wrong hands. From there, people with access to your credentials can cause the kind of issues we’ve seen recently. 

We take protecting our users’ security very seriously. For added password security, the team looks across the internet to identify breaches and when compromised accounts are found, we alert you and temporarily disable access. We also prevent the use of passwords that appear on known compromised lists. While we can’t stop password breaches across the internet, we’re committed to limiting the impact of compromised credentials on Nest Accounts. 

While we continue to introduce additional security and safety features, we need your help in keeping your Nest Account secure. There are several ways for you to protect your home and family. Here’s what you can do:

Enable 2-step verification: The most important thing you can do is enable 2-step verification. Security experts agree that 2-step verification offers an additional layer of security. You’ll receive a special code every time you sign in to your account. It’s easy to do – find the steps here.
Choose strong passwords: Create a strong password and only use it for your Nest Account.
Set up Family Accounts: Don’t let other people use your email and password to sign in to the Nest app. Invite them to share access to your home with Family Accounts.
Be alert: Be on the lookout for phishing emails designed to trick you into sharing your email address and password.
Protect your home network: Keep your home network router software up to date and only share those credentials with people you trust. Set up and use a guest network if your Wi-Fi router supports it.

It’s a great responsibility to be welcomed into your home, and we’re committed to keeping you and your Nest devices safe. 

If you have questions or need additional help, please reach out to Nest Support

— rishi
VP/GM of Nest

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

‘Felt so violated:’ Milwaukee couple warns hackers are outsmarting smart homes

MILWAUKEE -- A Milwaukee couple said their smart home was hacked. Their camera began talking to them, and their thermostat reached upwards of 90 degrees.

The Westmoreland family installed a Nest camera, doorbell, and thermostat in their home in 2018. They had no problems until they heard a voice talking through a camera in their kitchen.

"It's supposed to make me feel safe, and I didn't feel safe," said Samantha Westmoreland.

Click on the link for the full article

On 2/1/2019 at 2:08 AM, Malapropismic Depository said:

It's getting to the point where it's unavoidable.

We may soon get to the point, for example, where all TV's being sold are smart TV's.

Although I guess for that you could put drapes over the whole TV when you're not using it, but then again, that wouldn't stop them from getting audio from your house.

My husband unplugs everything at night, hides all cords in mylar potato chip bags, & keeps the TV covered even when in use. He keeps his cell phone in pieces in mylar bags in 3 different places in the refrigerator. Won't use it. He absolutely WILL NOT leave the house unattended...it took him 2 hours to set up so he could pick me up from the hospital, and he had his nephew babysit the house when he came to visit me there. 

I'm not exaggerating in the slightest. The NSA has him totally freaked out. 

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

My husband unplugs everything at night, hides all cords in mylar potato chip bags, & keeps the TV covered even when in use. He keeps his cell phone in pieces in mylar bags in 3 different places in the refrigerator. Won't use it. He absolutely WILL NOT leave the house unattended...it took him 2 hours to set up so he could pick me up from the hospital, and he had his nephew babysit the house when he came to visit me there. 

I'm not exaggerating in the slightest. The NSA has him totally freaked out. 

Is there some particular event that drove him to this lifestyle?

11 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Is there some particular event that drove him to this lifestyle?

He said he saw me, where I was sitting in the room on the dashboard screen of a car parked out front. I don't believe this happened, or that whatever was on that screen was not really able to be seen clearly from inside the house. 

59 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

He said he saw me, where I was sitting in the room on the dashboard screen of a car parked out front. I don't believe this happened, or that whatever was on that screen was not really able to be seen clearly from inside the house. 

Sounds like your husband has some serious mental issues.  (and not the "funny" way we usually refer to them, I mean legit issues)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Couple whose 8-year-old daughter was taunted by Ring hacker sues

Two couples who say their home security cameras were hacked filed a class-action lawsuit against Ring LLC for invasion of privacy and negligence.

Ashley LeMay and her husband, Dylan Blakeley, said in December that a stranger hacked a camera they set up in their 8-year-old daughter's bedroom and taunted the child. Todd Craig and his girlfriend, Tania Amador, said that same month a hacker threatened them with "termination" if they did not pay a ransom.

Both couples filed the suit last week in the Central District Court of California, saying Ring's security cameras have "created a living nightmare."

"Instead of helping families protect their homes, Ring security devices have had the opposite effect by permitting hackers to exploit security vulnerabilities in the Ring system to spy and harass Ring customers inside their homes," the suit claims.

• 7 months later...

FBI worried that Ring doorbells are spying on police

Hacked documents suggest that the FBI is concerned some people may be using Ring or other smart doorbells to watch the police.
The papers describe a 2017 incident where someone remotely watched live footage of police preparing to serve a search warrant.
The information was found online by The Intercept among hacked documents.

Previously, privacy advocates have raised concerns about data from smart doorbells being shared with police.

The hacked papers, known collectively as BlueLeaks, were stolen from more than 250 police websites.

The document in question is a technical analysis bulletin, offering an overview of the opportunities and challenges for police from home security systems and smart doorbells.

The 2017 incident describes how someone under investigation was able to "covertly monitor law enforcement activity while law enforcement was on the premises" and alert his neighbour and landlord. It does not name the brand of video doorbell used.

Amazon's Ring is one of the most popular, but there are a variety of companies selling smart doorbells along with home surveillance kits.

It is an interesting twist on the smart doorbell story. Previously there have been concerns about how much information from private cameras is being shared with police.

• 4 months later...

Bet that security system is making you feel safe now...

A Home Security Tech Hacked Into Cameras To Watch People Undressing And Having Sex, Prosecutors Say

A home security technician admitted Thursday that he secretly accessed the cameras of more than 200 customers, particularly attractive women, to spy on while they undressed, slept, or had sex, federal prosecutors said.

Telesforo Aviles, a 35-year-old former employee for the security company ADT, admitted he secretly accessed the customers' accounts more than 9,600 times over more than four years, according to a guilty plea submitted in court.

It’s interesting that this thread popped back up.

Its me, the guy whose Nest Cam was hacked about 2 years ago, and I started this thread. I’ve recovered from the mental anguish of someone hacking into my cameras. My wife is pregnant again with our 3rd baby and well... the need for a baby monitor of sorts is going to arise.

I still have both of the Nest Cams that were hacked, and guess what, I think I’m going to hook one of them back up for the baby’s room. This time I’m going to make the password a long and unused password on any of my other accounts. Most importantly, I’m going to enable 2FA on the system so that if the password were to be guessed, they’d still need my authority to get in.

Wish me luck fam.

• Like 6

• Springfield changed the title to My Nest camera system was hacked last night (and other smart home camera hackery)
6 hours ago, Springfield said:

Its me, the guy whose Nest Cam was hacked about 2 years ago, and I started this thread. I’ve recovered from the mental anguish of someone hacking into my cameras. My wife is pregnant again with our 3rd baby and well... the need for a baby monitor of sorts is going to arise.

I still have both of the Nest Cams that were hacked, and guess what, I think I’m going to hook one of them back up for the baby’s room. This time I’m going to make the password a long and unused password on any of my other accounts. Most importantly, I’m going to enable 2FA on the system so that if the password were to be guessed, they’d still need my authority to get in.

Wish me luck fam.

With the 2FA, better to use an app rather than text message.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Springfield said:

Wish me luck fam.

When we were recently looking at baby monitors, we specifically did NOT want one that we need our phone to view the monitor.  We wanted one that came with a separate screen for the monitoring part.  I don't know about you, but we didn't want to have our phone screens on all night or when watching a movie to monitor our son.  

• 8 months later...

'It's going to ruin my life': Plumber, 45, fears he will lose his £275,000 home after judge ruled his Ring doorbell camera breached his doctor neighbour's privacy leaving him facing paying possible £100,000 in damages

A plumber who could be forced to pay his neighbour £100,000 after a judge ruled his Ring smart doorbell cameras breached her privacy has warned he will lose his £275,000 home.

Jon Woodard, 45, from Thame, Oxfordshire, said the court ruling in favour of Dr Mary Fairhurst is 'going to ruin my life' and admitted he 'can't even afford £5,000'.

The audio-visual technician said he had been left 'extremely disappointed and shocked' by the verdict and is 'petrified' he will be left bankrupt.

The judge found Mr Woodard's use of his cameras broke data laws and his behaviour during his dispute with Dr Fairhurst amounted to harassment.

She claimed she was forced to move out of her home in Thame because the internet-connected gadgets were 'intrusive'.

Tuesday's ruling is thought to be the first of its kind in the UK and could set precedent for more than 100,000 owners of the Ring doorbell nationally.

The damages that Mr Woodard must pay to Dr Fairhurst are expected to be confirmed in a court hearing in November.

-Mr Woodard fitted four devices around his house. He claimed he did this to protect his vehicles from thieves;
-But a judge ruled he'd recorded Dr Fairhurst's property including her gate, garden and car parking spaces;
-Judge said he breached UK GDPR by not handling her personal data in a 'fair and transparent manner';
-Ruled that Mr Woodard then sought to 'actively mislead' Dr Fairhurst about what the cameras recorded; 
-Judge took particular issue with camera's audio range, saying it is 'not reasonable for crime prevention'. 

49117511-10085561-image-a-62_16341234826

• Thumb down 1