Spaceman Spiff

A conversation on millennials, gen z, cyber bullying, social media depression, etc

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'd have to look at 901 902 compared to 701 702 that i took. i remember being terrified trying to memorize all the socket types and interrupts that were barely on the test.  I will dont regret that test at all, i was an actual computer technician because i did that having come into IT with a total blank slate on hardware.

Even looking at this, you sure average kid knows what they need to know to stand chance with this?  I know some programmers that couldn't tell you difference between northbridge and southbridge.  Jus curious your thoughts.

https://www.professormesser.com/free-a-plus-training/220-901/comptia-220-900-course/

For me the flaw in the A+ cert was that it felt like much more about memorizing terms than actual knowledge.  Teenagers were building computers on their own, and if they got stuck on a step or two they could do research, or go to local computer shop/electronics store to fill in the gaps, yet the A+ cert was mostly concerned that you have memorized the names of every single kind of port or channel.  It was the epitome of studying merely for a test as opposed to actually learning.  Now this was almost 20 years ago, not sure what the exam is like now. 

12 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

For me the flaw in the A+ cert was that it felt like much more about memorizing terms than actual knowledge.  Teenagers were building computers on their own, and if they got stuck on a step or two they could do research, or go to local computer shop/electronics store to fill in the gaps, yet the A+ cert was mostly concerned that you have memorized the names of every single kind of port or channel.  It was the epitome of studying merely for a test as opposed to actually learning.  Now this was almost 20 years ago, not sure what the exam is like now. 

Gotcha, responded here to not derail the thread

• Like 1

3 hours ago, redskinss said:

I've been telling my wife for years how much I actually hate Facebook despite the fact that I still use it.

It's just keeping up with Jones's but instead of your neighbors it's a version for everybody in your life.

I actually deleted my account the other day but had to reinstate it because I have some important events coming up that I cant just have deleted. 

That's the biggest problem is despite the anxiety Facebook causes between jealousy and politics it really is a great tool for keeping large groups together for events and things like that.

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

The thing about FB is that it has been intertwined with our offline lives that you always end up keeping your account active for the positive aspects despite how awful it is to actually scroll the newsfeed itself. 

I would have deleted my account long ago if I didn't need it for developer purposes.  If our app flops hard and gets no users, then I'm definitely deleting my FB account.  It's not intertwined with my life at all that I don't need it for anything.  The only positive aspects I see of FB is keeping in touch with relatives that are out of town that you don't see much who want to see your children and stuff.  Other than that, I don't see any use for it.  

I also don't have an IG or Snapchat account.  I don't "get" those either when you can literally do the same thing with FB.  One is for pictures one is for videos, when FB does all of that.  Oh, and so does SMS messaging that has been around since way before all this social media ****.

Edited by purbeast

20 hours ago, MisterPinstripe said:

To me 95 percent of social media is people presenting a false view of themselves, to show everyone how great they are, or how they want people to see them. 

Are you suggesting that I'm not a 6'5 rocked out millionaire who spends my weekends leaving my perfectly appointed and decorated home to go on adventurous trips with my many talented and attractive friends and ideal children and also a motorcycle riding, clove smoking poet blessing you all with my thoughtful and beautiful epistles on instagram, and oh yeah almost forgot I'm also an expert on the law, medicine, sports, public policy, and all of the sciences and humanities?

How dare yo--oh alright fine.  You got me.  Not all of us can be @twa

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

There's a 2-part thing on FreeSpeechTV and Link called "Stare into the Lights My Pretty". I recommend it, even though it will make everyone drastically uncomfortable...my husband's probably watched it 50 times now, but he's paranoid and can't tear himself away from surveilling the surveillance. 🤦‍♀️

• Like 1

21 hours ago, purbeast said:

This past year I made my birthday private so that it wouldn't send out reminders to people when it was my birthday, because i don't give a **** about people who need to be reminded of my birthday, wishing me a happy birthday.  Hell I didn't even check my Facebook for over a month after my birthday and was glad to see that I didn't have a bunch of happy birthday's from people who have no clue that it's really my birthday.  

Literally the only thing Facebook brought to my life was reminding me of peoples birthdays. I want to feel bad that I forget people exist outside of my normal rotation. But I dont. Facebook let me pretend for a while that I did. But that **** got tiring, and then they started stealing my data. 

I have lost friends im sure over not communicating wit them via FB like a "normal" 31 y/o. But I honestly dont care and not being on social media affords me the ability to not have to pretend like I do. I hate watching my GF get all upset over something stupid someone says on FB or Instagram. Cause then im forced in a position of telling her how pointless that **** is - which is like telling her what she cares about it stupid - or pretending I care about it. She used to actively watch her "friends" and "enemies" (those lines blur quite a bit on the internet, actually) to somehow compete with them. Fortunately I got her out of that ****. I had to really shut her **** down to do it though. 

I dont like social media. At all. 

• Like 2

FB got me laid, after a really bad health issue and a long, long dry spell.  That's the only good thing it ever did for me...it was a pretty good thing though. 

The extent of my social media participation beyond that is ES (the first place I ever talked to a stranger online all those years ago) and one other anonymous forum where I can vent politically without repercussion.

The generational attacks are cringe worthy for sure.  There is not much I consider to be more vapid than those stupid memes about millennials.  Do these jackwagons not realize that the boomers made the same stupid generalizations about us gen Xers?  Is it a strange offshoot of tribalism? 

In your face examples of people who you like being unashamed jerks (to put it mildly) proved to be it's undoing for me.  I don't want to know their views.  The idea that politics and religion should not be discussed at the dinner table definitely needs to be expanded to social media.  People feel amazingly free to be complete jerks in a way they never do in person.    FB has been off my phone for more than a year and I don't check it that much lately at home.

Probably another topic I shouldn't even comment on, but yanno how shows have that disclaimer "Viewer discretion advised"? Pfffft, if we had any discretion we wouldn't be watching, so......

Read through this in terms of the broader discussion at large these days, and I admit, I just don't "get" it. This seems like such a minuscule thing, such a self-inflicted wound, people keep stabbing themselves and piss n moan about all the blood? WTF? I'm on FB, Twitter leaves me cold, not even aware of most of the other Instagram/Snapchat/CrapAp stuff going on and I'll tell ya, I'm fine, don't miss any of it. I'm not harvesting likes and FB friends as some external validation, I don't post anything personal, private or critical anywhere, a hacker would fall right the **** asleep dredging through my digital footprint and TBH, I don't see where I am doing without anything at all. It's all ephemeral, it's all sizzle w/ no steak, it's all games made to pass the time for people that are bored because they don't have tangible things in their lives. 

And yes I know, this will get dismissed and pooh poohed in condescending fashion the same way I have in the past, I'm ok with that too. The whole social media fixation is a fad, and they work hard to try and keep people hypnotized with it, convincing them it is some grand great exercise in communication when in reality it's all a marketing con. But just like politics these days, it is easier to con people than it is to convince them they have been conned.

Our kids can't have social media. My wife manages the social media to post pictures for our family, etc. I hate social media, never jumped into anything more than AIM insta chat.... what's wrong with text messaging and group chats? Nothing.

Family is your first and longest lasting friends... thats the philosophy I have with my kids (10 and 13). My wife already thinks I am too much like a "brother" than "father" to my son (not strict enough) I have to reserve my response. He's 13 -- yes he needs my guidance and he gets it, but more than that he will need a solid bro to get through life with... he can legally do what he wants in 5 years which is scary.

Am loving the hate for social media while posting.....

On social media. 

Come on, y'all. Get a grip. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

On social media. 

Forums and social media are very different and have very different purposes. If social media was just discussions like on forums it would be a different story. 

You would have a hard time convincing me that we wouldn't be better off as a society if social media had never existed or disappeared. There are of course good and useful things about it, but the negatives far outweigh that to me.

Edited by MisterPinstripe

I was a college freshman in the fall of 2004.  My university was one of the first 80 or so schools to join "thefacebook.com".  This was a time when you needed a university email address from one of these schools to have an account.  I joined in September of that year and figure I probably had one of the first 80,000 accounts.  It was very primitive and collegey back then.  Not that interesting.  The most memorable thing about it for me was that Matt Leinart accepted my friend request.  Basically we just used it to post and look at pictures of our friends being silly at parties and in their dorms and apartments.  It was insular and the narcissism it serviced was minor.  It's become such a monster.  I feel it's benefits are marginal compared to the threats it poses.  My usage was never heavy, but I finally deactivated my ancient account last month after the story of how facebook sold their users data to God knows who came out.  Having the option to keep up with old contacts isn't worth the trouble to me any more.

I think that small forums based around semi-anonymous users generating content like this one are where the real value in online social networking is at.  Not a totally anonymous and unmoderated forum because those always end up becoming infested with relentlessly bullying communities of anti-social mysogynistic white supremacists.  And I prefer small to large so that you don't have to rely on an upvote/downvote system to sort posts into manageable threads so that you don't have the same problem with attention-whoring and formulaic one-off ****posting that are incentivized by the nature of reddit.

A lot of broad generalizations going on in here, and agree Facebook has ruined the conversation of what social media is capable of.  If Suckaberg wasn't such an arrogant, soulless savage, this might be a different conversation.  We may never get another Facebook because we got the first one wrong, but that doesn't mean the concept was a bad idea, implementation was. 

@purbeast what do you think about an app that has the basic posting and content sharing mechanisms of Facebook, but utilizes sms without taking over the phones default sms app?  Basically a scaled down version of Facebook that's based off you contacts list using an sms backend instead of some companies server farms?  Still get to pick who you associate with via the app, has to have the app (similar to WhatsApp), and can tell the sms message is meant for that particular app to decide how to present it in the app (photo, like, comment).  There's only a fraction of people on my FB I don't have their phone number as well,  it we totally share news articles and kid pics.

@Renegade7 I personally don't think that is different enough than anything that is out there.  But I'm not really the target audience for anything like that anyways so I'm probably not the best person to ask.  I also have no clue if it's possible to utilize SMS from a developer standpoint.  I've wrote a chat part of an app (as well as video chat and voice chat) but it's utilizing another 3rd party to do all of that as at least to my knowledge, there is no way to use SMS.  This is on iOS though and I don't know much about those kinds of things on Android.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, purbeast said:

@Renegade7 I personally don't think that is different enough than anything that is out there.  

Maybe, thinking somewhere between FB (which I want to get rid of) and the group sms chat functions (that I think are very inefficient). 

Whatapp uses data (at least how Verizon sees it), but vision is to take some of the good things about FB and shrink it down to focus on smaller groups of people, similar to what @stevemcqueen1, just not as semi-anonymous.  If I don't know you, I don't want to hear from you, but in a platform everyone uses (sms).  

Also want to find a way to keep the phone providers from seeing the text messages, but yea, that would take looking into sms development (wonder if way to add so.wthibg like ppg to text messages). This may be way to help limit the pilfering if information from what we share with each other, and the number of entities that this info passes through or have access to.

True power of Facebook is how many people are using it, so its basically billions of people using an identical platform, its just failed because of being too big to manage and people deciding to make money instead of try.

I'll look around, thanks.  I believe we're making a mistake thinking the solution to social media is to destroy it, but that's just my opinion.

15 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm completely off social media. No FB, IG, anything. Best decision I ever made.

posting on a social message board that he is completely off social media.... 

44 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

On social media. 

I would argue that its not the same thing just because of the anonymity of this site. I feel exactly zero need to hide my worst natures on this site as long as its within the rules. Thats the opp. of FB. Everyone wants to be perfect on FB. I celebrate my flaws on here and dare you to try and help me fix them. (Redskins fans....so all of us are flawed lol) 

• Like 2

I remember when I first got onto FB the main appeal is that it felt like a less clunky version of myspace where people's pages weren't splashed with all sorts of bad html making it impossible to navigate.  In fact I remember initially there were a lot of people who didn't like FB for that very reason, because you couldn't personalize your own page as much as you could with Myspace.   FB was just a very different kind of app. 

A quick observation: 

We are diverging a lot from the topic of bullying via social media and getting just into "why I'm too cool for Facebook and Instagram" territory. That's all fine and good, but feels like a different issue. 

I use Twitter, IG, and Facebook...in that order. 

I tweet basically about the Redskins and sadly that's where I get most news (both real-life stuff and sports). It doesn't annoy me at all because it's a bunch of strangers and I have zero expectations of these people. I probably actually know (as in, have met or already knew) 2% of the people I interact with. 

I use IG to throw an occasional picture of my kids up there. I don't have many followers so anyone who sees that is someone I would want to see it. I do enjoy seeing the comments roll in from my parents or friends about the kids though (don't really care what that says about me hahaha). 

Facebook I have to remind myself to use. I check the notifications a couple times per week but don't really engage or interact with people. To be honest, I mostly haven't deactivated simply so I don't have to field the "why aren't you on FB anymore" question. 

As for the topic at hand...I think the point is that virtual communities aren't going anywhere. And, the impact to how younger people interact with their peers is massive. If the majority of people are going to be on SM, then it's still important for us to understand how that's re-wiring younger minds. Even if we are insistent today that we or our kids aren't going to use it. 

25 minutes ago, purbeast said:

@Renegade7 Why do you want to not use data for messages?  Why do you want to have to use SMS?

A lot of reasons from what ive seen but more research will need to be done.  Tools like sslstrip and what I see my job do in regards to being able to rip off TLS read packets and reassemble makes me want to avoid data for personal converastions.  SMS is more direct and harder to intercept (why I want to add pgp on top of it).  Jus throwing out ideas, looking into it.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I remember when I first got onto FB the main appeal is that it felt like a less clunky version of myspace where people's pages weren't splashed with all sorts of bad html making it impossible to navigate.  In fact I remember initially there were a lot of people who didn't like FB for that very reason, because you couldn't personalize your own page as much as you could with Myspace.   FB was just a very different kind of app. 

I'll be honest too...when MySpace and then Facebook became prevalent I was fascinated in seeing what had happened to people I went to high school and college with. I was in my late-20s so it had been a long time since I had even seen some of the names that were suddenly popping up. I'm not ashamed to admit that I really enjoyed the idea of getting a glimpse into the life of some of these people. 

It was exciting to see what happened to the hot cheerleader from high school or the funny dude from all my group projects in business school. 

My daughter isn't on "social media" yet.  (Turns 7 in a week)  However she is huge into youtube videos of all sorts (which I guess can be considered social media actually) and she even knows the "if you like my video, please subscribe to my channel" yadda yadda yadda.  She has expressed interest in creating her own channel and doing videos.  I told her if she is serious I would help her get it started, but she would of course be supervised throughout the entire process.  

6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'll be honest too...when MySpace and then Facebook became prevalent I was fascinated in seeing what had happened to people I went to high school and college with. I was in my late-20s so it had been a long time since I had even seen some of the names that were suddenly popping up. I'm not ashamed to admit that I really enjoyed the idea of getting a glimpse into the life of some of these people. 

It was exciting to see what happened to the hot cheerleader from high school or the funny dude from all my group projects in business school. 

When FB first started growing my initial thought was, oh wow this is going to put classmates.com out of business.  I didn't really think of it much more then that until it really blew up and just became......well, you know.

Edited by NoCalMike

4 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

My daughter isn't on "social media" yet.  (Turns 7 in a week)  However she is huge into youtube videos of all sorts (which I guess can be considered social media actually) and she even knows the "if you like my video, please subscribe to my channel" yadda yadda yadda.  She has expressed interest in creating her own channel and doing videos.  I told her if she is serious I would help her get it started, but she would of course be supervised throughout the entire process.  

When FB first started growing my initial thought was, oh wow this is going to put classmates.com out of business.  I didn't really think of it much more then that until it really blew up and just became......well, you know.

Yes!! And there was another one...maybe Reunion.com or something. hahaha

My kids "create YouTube channels" no matter what their doing. They don't actually record anything, but they are pretending to make YouTube videos when they build Legos or make slime or do whatever. It's scary.