Spaceman Spiff

A conversation on millennials, gen z, cyber bullying, social media depression, etc

Prime chum for the Tailgate here.

@Renegade7 posted this in the meteorologist thread:

It's like cyber bullying, just because it's over the Internet instead of you getting punched square in the jaw doesn't make it any less terrible.  Having read about this and talked to younger folks, it can absolutely be worse. 

We've given the worst of us a tool that is damn near limitless and some how think when we add this enhancement its somehow different. No, it's worse.

It made me think of this episode of the Joe Rogan Podcast I listened to earlier this week:

Jonathan Haidt is a social psychologist and Professor of Ethical Leadership at NYU's business school.  

The whole conversation is interesting, but if you ffwd to about the 1:20:00 mark he talks about the rise of depression and psych issues, then goes on to lay down his theory about the rise of it over recent years.

NSFW, some language.  

Generally speaking, social media is terrible for society in my opinion.  There are even studies out there about how social media has an affect depression, and that there is a correlation with people who post a lot on there and engage in it to people having issues.  I personally cannot stand things like Facebook and Instagram, etc.  I enjoy Twitter though but I don't really Tweet.  I like it for news purposes and think it's great for sports news and video game news, which is pretty much all I use it for.

I was watching the Tiger Woods special "Return of the Roar" last week, and he made the comment about how people no longer clap on golf courses.  They are yelling and screaming.  And you know why?  It's because they can't clap.  They have their phone in their hand taking videos and pictures, so they physically can't clap.  And I'd be willing to bet 95% of those people (at least the young people) are taking those videos for the sole reason of posting them on social media to show everyone how exciting their life is.  That kind of **** really grinds my gears.

EDIT:

I signed up for Facebook because I was writing a mobile application that uses Facebook to log you in.  I rarely use it or check it anymore, and when I do check it, I am reminded within like 5 scrolls of the page why I just hate it.  It's simply everyone trying to out do each other and act as if their life is better than yours.  Everyone "acts" as through they have perfect lives on there, people I know who are miserable, and I just can't stand that fake ****. 

This past year I made my birthday private so that it wouldn't send out reminders to people when it was my birthday, because i don't give a **** about people who need to be reminded of my birthday, wishing me a happy birthday.  Hell I didn't even check my Facebook for over a month after my birthday and was glad to see that I didn't have a bunch of happy birthday's from people who have no clue that it's really my birthday.  

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

To me 95 percent of social media is people presenting a false view of themselves, to show everyone how great they are, or how they want people to see them. No matter what is actually going on in their lives. It's just full of fakeness or people trying to get attention to feed our own narcissistic tendacies. It's a blot on society and we would be much better off without it in my opinion. We as people were better able to stay in touch and have meaningful relationships without it. 

If a relationship won't exist without social media it's not much of a relationship.

Edited by MisterPinstripe
  • Like 3

Just now, MisterPinstripe said:

To me 95 percent of social media is people presenting a false view of themselves, to show everyone how great they are, or how they want people to see them. No matter what is actually going on in their lives. It's just full of fakeness or people trying to get attention to feed our own narcissistic tendacies. It's a blot on society and we would be much better off without it in my opinion. We as people were better able to stay in touch and have meaningful relationships without it. 

If a relationship won't exist without social media it's not much of a relationship.

Haha your post is basically exactly what I stated in my edit.

• Like 1

Admittedly I haven't listened yet, but I have discussed this with a few people over the past several months. I think technology and social media absolutely contribute to an isolation. And, what makes it worse, is that it's not apparent to those people that they are isolated. I'm sure this is simplistic (like me) but...

I'm a 14-year old kid on a Friday night. I have some friends at school and I'm connected to a bunch of people on IG. I may post something and I get 85 likes. I feel good...that surge of excitement makes me feel included/popular/whatever. But, I haven't spoken to a single person or hugged the hot girl at school or wrestled with my friend for talking **** to me. I think humans NEED that physical and direct intimacy (even if it's not "intimate" in a sexual way). We are almost enabling kids to grow up as little asexual beings who just exist in parallel but not directly with their peers. 

• Like 2

@Spaceman Spiff working so cant listen to video yet, but I'll add that it's not easy to distinguish between a chemical imbalance in the brain, someone who's given up on themselves, and someone who's given up on themselves with a chemical imbalance in the brain.

My Facebook feed is not like what most describe it as because of who i associate with, and i know a lot of people like that.  95% is too high, but the problem SM has presented is very real, especially for younger folk.  I stand by as a tool used properly its beautiful but you can totally kill someone with a screwdriver.

When i was in high school, we thought social media was cool, stuff like myspace and black planet didn't follow us everywhere and some were learning code without even realizing it. If there's any mark on my generation it was being able to understand the good and bad of this transition while it happening real time and just hoping it would even itself out without warning Gen Z at all.

tenor (11).gif

Edited by Renegade7

28 minutes ago, purbeast said:

This past year I made my birthday private so that it wouldn't send out reminders to people when it was my birthday, because i don't give a **** about people who need to be reminded of my birthday, wishing me a happy birthday.  Hell I didn't even check my Facebook for over a month after my birthday and was glad to see that I didn't have a bunch of happy birthday's from people who have no clue that it's really my birthday.  

I've joked about this with my wife.  I've thought about doing a social experiment where I keep changing my birthday on Facebook so that it shows up as my birthday every Saturday, for a year.  50-52 times.  And keeping an Excel sheet or something of which "friends" wish me a happy birthday over and over without even realizing what's going on.  I haven't done it because I know I'd forget eventually, but I think the results would be hilarious.

Anyway, my kids are eight and seven now, and this is one of my worries.  I can relate my experiences on the usual kid problems but social media wasn't thing until late college, and my early career.  And I'm a late adopter when it comes to this kind of thing anyway.  But yeah, growing up, you either got into a fight if you were angry enough with someone, or people might say things, but it got back to you because this anonymous platform didn't exist.  I don't know, maybe the answer is to have them stay off of it entirely and explain to them that anyone posting anonymous stuff about them is too much of a coward to be bothered with.  Then again, it is a lot easier to have that kind of attitude when you're an adult and no longer having to deal with being a teenager.

• Haha 2

*sigh, people have lives, man.  How about they took two seconds to give a damn when they clearly don't have to?

11 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

When i was in high school, we thought social media was cool, stuff like myspace and black planet didn't follow us everywhere and some were learning code without even realizing it. If there's any mark on my generation it was being able to understand the good and bad of this transition while it happening real time and just hoping it would even itself out without warning Gen Z at all.

What does that mean?

Interestingly enough, the movie Assassination Nation was a little seen movie from 2018 that addresses this topic (and others related to social media) pretty well, especially from the female perspective.  There is a particular scene involving the main female character and her high school principal that is real poignant on the topic of social media and new standards that have been created artificially because of it.  

Edited by NoCalMike

I've basically divested from social media, meaning, i still have accounts but i rarely check them and almost never post anything.  I think it's unhealthy, a ridiculously large waste of time for too many people, and FB in particular is an evil company which I do not want to help make money or give my information to.

Gen Z is really in need of a reckoning with respect to living on and with social media.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, purbeast said:

What does that mean?

Man oh man oh man.  You know what some people had to to get their favorite song in their social media page back in the day?  :ols:

I'd see my sister with her black planet page up, i thought she was making it from scratch, that's how you had to embed back in the day, neither one us full realized that was HTML code because nobody told us and computer classes hadn't taken off at high school level like they do now. 

I didn't know what an A+ cert was until i was in college, kids are getting it before they graduate high school now.  Total missed opportunity for our generation because powers that be didn't pick up on that and start cultivating it right then and there.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

I remember in the early 2000's the A+ cert was something you really had to study for.  Now, most of the useful information learned by achieving an A+ cert is pretty much common knowledge for any kid that has grown up with a modern computer/tablet/laptop/printer in their house.  They might get some of the terminology wrong, particularly the legacy stuff still hanging around on the exams, but for the most part a lot of the entry level certifications are just a fancy piece of paper these days.

I've felt it. i tell myself i use facebook to promote my podcast and connect with listeners, which to an extent is true,, except that isn't all i am using it for. I am playing with it just like anyone, scrolling through, making comments, engaging strangers in conversations / debates.
i do not do it politically anymore for well over a year.. in fact most of what i have done lately is flood my page with football and redskins boards to drown out the politics,, but I am not finding it any better.

For a good while i've been telling myself to unplug it, get off it. There are times discussions leave me with anxieties, anger, all sorts of uncomfortable and unhealthy crap. And then part of me says that I have to promote the show, there are listeners out there who like to connect... so i stay. (we do pull material from there as well, so i have another enabling excuse.)

I really don't like it. But 3 or 4 times a day there i go. Just to look. Be the narcissist.

I do enjoy twitter.. there is a lot more control over the topics i want and who I talk to. Never did snapchat or any of the others. Never felt the need, because deep down i do want to use these platforms to promote the podcast i have so much fun making..and because I don't see how a visual medium like snapchat would help that.

But, yeah. i definitely feel the need to stop facebook.

~Bang

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Man oh man oh man.  You know what some people had to to get their favorite song in their social media page back in the day?  :ols:

I'd see my sister with her black planet page up, i thought she was making it from scratch, that's how you had to embed back in the day, neither one us full realized that was HTML code because nobody told us and computer classes hadn't taken off at high school level like they do now. 

I didn't know what an A+ cert was until i was in college, kids are getting it before they graduate high school now.  Total missed opportunity for our generation because powers that be didn't pick up on that and start cultivating it right then and there.

Just FYI, and this is really just semantics, HTML is not really "code".  It's markdown.  Neither is CSS.  I can see why people outside of the domain would think it is coding though.

Source: myself as a computer science major doing software engineering for 13+ years.

EDIT:

And I genuinely didn't know what you meant which is why I was asking lol.

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 1

I remember when Facebook was just for college kids. It should have stayed that way. I feel like my generation grew up and evolved with social media and the internet for the most part. It was easy for us to see thru what's real, fake, and trolling. Once our parents got on Facebook it went from cat memes and "hey party at the moon towers Sat" to full blown Political propaganda, arguing, and generational judging. I feel like that was the turning point in SM evolution that got us to this point. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Just FYI, and this is really just semantics, HTML is not really "code".  It's markdown.  Neither is CSS.  I can see why people outside of the domain would think it is coding though.

Source: myself as a computer science major doing software engineering for 13+ years.

That really is semantics that most people wont get up front and misses point entirely, which is why i said that.  Jus google " is HTML coding?" and its clear if you really want to know the difference you will but many links trying to get you in door and comfortable with idea of doing it.

Source: myself trying not to make peoples heads explode while working them up to understanding what i do for a living in CyberSecurity.

Edit: I'm always caught between how to explain things, when i can let lose, when I done want to turn people off, or when both are in the room at same time.  Another reason i look forward to being an adjunct one day.

Edited by Renegade7

2 minutes ago, ShredSkins said:

I remember when Facebook was just for college kids. It should have stayed that way. I feel like my generation grew up and evolved with social media and the internet for the most part. It was easy for us to see thru what's real, fake, and trolling. Once our parents got on Facebook it went from cat memes and "hey party at the moon towers Sat" to full blown Political propaganda, arguing, and generational judging. I feel like that was the turning point in SM evolution that got us to this point. 

Should watch the conversation, pretty much covers that.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ShredSkins said:

This was one big turning point.  The following big turning point was when people figured out how to monetize the voyeurism.  That they could earn money from likes, which turned their use of the platform into a business ("influencing"), which turned much of the content into advertising ones self.  

I think it's more of an amplifier than anything else.  It gives the antisocial a chance to really isolate themselves, it gives the attention whores a huge platform for all their vague book posts, it makes it easy for idiots to feel smart because you can find a group who will support any position.  It's kinda what you make of it.  

• Like 2

Baby Boomers infected social media, and it's never been the same since. Half the time I open Instagram or Snap Chat I feel way too old to even entertain the idea of having those apps, and then suddenly I am getting friend requests on those apps from my mom.

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 1

I've been telling my wife for years how much I actually hate Facebook despite the fact that I still use it.

It's just keeping up with Jones's but instead of your neighbors it's a version for everybody in your life.

I actually deleted my account the other day but had to reinstate it because I have some important events coming up that I cant just have deleted. 

That's the biggest problem is despite the anxiety Facebook causes between jealousy and politics it really is a great tool for keeping large groups together for events and things like that.

The thing about FB is that it has been intertwined with our offline lives that you always end up keeping your account active for the positive aspects despite how awful it is to actually scroll the newsfeed itself. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I remember in the early 2000's the A+ cert was something you really had to study for.  Now, most of the useful information learned by achieving an A+ cert is pretty much common knowledge for any kid that has grown up with a modern computer/tablet/laptop/printer in their house.  They might get some of the terminology wrong, particularly the legacy stuff still hanging around on the exams, but for the most part a lot of the entry level certifications are just a fancy piece of paper these days.

I'd have to look at 901 902 compared to 701 702 that i took. i remember being terrified trying to memorize all the socket types and interrupts that were barely on the test.  I will dont regret that test at all, i was an actual computer technician because i did that having come into IT with a total blank slate on hardware.

Even looking at this, you sure average kid knows what they need to know to stand chance with this?  I know some programmers that couldn't tell you difference between northbridge and southbridge.  Jus curious your thoughts.

https://www.professormesser.com/free-a-plus-training/220-901/comptia-220-900-course/

35 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The thing about FB is that it has been intertwined with our offline lives that you always end up keeping your account active for the positive aspects despite how awful it is to actually scroll the newsfeed itself. 

This is so true, and really wish more people hide posts from people or just unfriended them instead of letting there newsfeed atay like that.  My newsfeed is nothing y'all describe, i have very little patience for it, and my Trump friend and i aren't even Facebook friends anymore intentionally yet talk on the phone all the time.