Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Another meteorologist who deserves to be fired

redskinss

This is sickening.  This was a verbal flub, plain and simple.  The people who took offense are wrong and vindictive, and the station management that fired him are cowards. 

6 hours ago, Mooka said:

Sucks for this guy, but his job is to speak in front of a camera.

At least he was fired for not doing his job correctly.

This is bull****.  If every on-air person who flubbed a word was fired, the airwaves would be filled with nothing but "Golden Girls" reruns.

2 hours ago, Dan T. said:

This is bull****.  If every on-air person who flubbed a word was fired, the airwaves would be filled with nothing but "Golden Girls" reruns.

What exactly was bull****?

Sucks to be that guy? Or he was fired for not doing his job correctly?

Didn't say I agreed. 

The guy that should be fired is the guy responsible for dumping audio. There is usually a 5 second delay, even on “live” broadcasts.... 

IMO, you should only be fired for intent. I mean, unless you have a history of misspeaking/flubs on air. If you didn’t intend to be racist people should let **** go. I doubt these up in arms people even care.. but hey if you can get someone fired, why not.. sounds fun.

41 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Why must we be a society that demands that people be fired?  For simple mistakes that ultimately harm nobody.

Because society these days is about virtue signalling and proving to others you're on the right side of the outrage as @Renegade7 said.  And in order to do that successfully, people need to lose their livelihood.  

I'm willing to bet that deep down, a good chunk of people who wanted this guy fired don't REALLY care about that...they care more about letting everyone know about how great of a person they are.  

47 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Why must we be a society that demands that people be fired?  For simple mistakes that ultimately harm nobody.

Because the country collectively decided that twitter mobs are relevant and should be taken seriously.  When have angry mobs ever shown a deep interest in fairness?  When did we start mistaking the internet for a place where people are calm and rational?  World's gone mad. 

1 minute ago, Destino said:

Because the country collectively decided that twitter mobs are relevant and should be taken seriously.  When have angry mobs ever shown a deep interest in fairness?  When did we start mistaking the internet for a place where people are calm and rational?  World's gone mad. 

That, and I think that the powers that be at that station wanted to get in front of any headache that the twitter mob would create if they let the guy apologize and keep his job.  Easier to fire that guy, make themselves look good and not have to endure a ****storm by defending him or letting him speak up for himself.  

Not to derail this thread, but to derail this thread, the Andrew Wiggins thing is ridiculous, too.

https://deadspin.com/theres-nothing-to-say-about-what-andrew-wiggins-said-th-1831614488

I saw that headline on ESPN this morning and thought "What an idiot, why'd he say that?"  Then I actually took a look at the video and think he's probably saying "getting".  It makes more sense for him to say "He was getting crazy" before stumbling over his words and saying "He was acting crazy."

Deadspin can be insufferable at times but they are right about how this situation was covered.

3 hours ago, Destino said:

It's like cyber bullying, just because it's over the Internet instead of you getting punched square in the jaw doesn't make it any less terrible.  Having read about this and talked to younger folks, it can absolutely be worse. 

We've given the worst of us a tool that is damn near limitless and some how think when we add this enhancement its somehow different. No, it's worse.

20 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Martin Luther Coon IS a pretty common slur for folks of a certain era. I heard it a ton growing up.

I don't have a strong opinion either way on this one.

When you hear it enough, it gets embedded in your subconscious, especially if you think nothings wrong with it at first (ala Mike Greenberg). So to have change that, when the slip happens, it’s because subconsciously you have connected the offensive word to some personal bad experience.

Now he has to deal with what is deep in him, not saying he’s a racist. Just saying that he may not be put off by everything racist have said.

I was on mic live and canned of almost ten years. That's not really a normal blooper. The sounds are wrong. The flow is wrong. Stumbles happen, but this seems a tough sell to me for a couple of reasons.

The first being: Martin Luther King Jr. is a common phrase. We've heard his name all our lives. The name's said a bunch. Most of us have said it a bunch. Because of that the whole name strings together as one thought. It's never Martin or King or Martin Luther. It's always Martin-Luther-King-Junior. One phrase. One thought. Those aren't usually the names you mess up.

The second being: I don't buy the phonetics. It's a substitution not a stumble. The sounds aren't close enough. Again, I might change my mind if I actually listened to the tape.

I say this as someone who has butchered names on the radio. I have also recognized it, usually immediately, and almost always apologized immediately for it. I think my worst gaffe was interviewing a guy named Goldblum and calling him Goldberg, but that was a case of my mind turning off and going with the more common suffix. If his mind turned off and went to the more normal... and it came up with "coon" that is suggestive.

As to whether he should be fired, I don't know. I'd have to hear it and have to know if he has a history of these offenses and gaffes. I could easily see them demanding an apology. I could see a suspension while they review his history. Termination, on its surface, seems severe.

1 hour ago, ClaytoAli said:

When you hear it enough, it gets embedded in your subconscious, especially if you think nothings wrong with it at first (ala Mike Greenberg). So when the slip happens, it’s because subconsciously you have connected the offensive word to some personal bad experience.

Now he has to deal with what is deep in him, not saying he’s a racist. Just saying that he may not be put off by everything racist have said.

Jesus christ ... way to jump to conclusions. 

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard on these boards.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

The first being: Martin Luther King Jr. is a common phrase. We've heard his name all our lives. The name's said a bunch. Most of us have said it a bunch. Because of that the whole name strings together as one thought. It's never Martin or King or Martin Luther. It's always Martin-Luther-King-Junior. One phrase. One thought. Those aren't usually the names you mess up.

I've heard "Martin Luther King" my whole life and maybe with "Junior" on the end, I don't know, but my memory serves me as mainly hearing it without "Junior" at the end.  But me personally, I always refer to him as "Martin Luther King" when referring to him, which I can't say is very often.  I don't think I've ever once said "Junior" at the end of it.

It's like me referring to Odell Beckham Junior.   I either refer to him as "Beckham" or "OBJ".  I never say "Odell Beckham Junior"

Saying "Kung" which I think is what he flubbed with, is literally a mixture of King being said first, then mixed with Junior being said, then going back to King, except it's all being done in a split second as you speak.

32 minutes ago, Burgold said:

If it was Kung... that sounds like a nothing. If it was coon? That's a weird flub to me.

Interesting. I've always heard Junior as part of the name.

Pronounce the "un" part as you do in the word "junior" then it sounds a lot like "coon" and the g would be nearly silent at the end, kinda like how the K sounds almost silent when some people say "Kirk".

12 hours ago, Dan T. said:

This is sickening.  This was a verbal flub, plain and simple.  The people who took offense are wrong and vindictive

Whether it was an honest mistake was one thing.  Whether he deserved to be fired waa another thing.

But if you truly believe people shouldn't have a problem with, or be offended by "Martin Luther Coon," then uh, wtf?

Just call him mlk... less chance of an issue.

l[uuu]ther ki(uuun]g

doesnt seems to be a stretch.  On the other hand you get paid to talk and if the tv station decides they don’t want you they got every right to fire you. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Whether it was an honest mistake was one thing.  Whether he deserved to be fired waa another thing.

But if you truly believe people shouldn't have a problem with, or be offended by "Martin Luther Coon," then uh, wtf?

I don’t think people were offended. I think this was just an opportunity to “get someone” and they took it. I can’t really imagine someone saying something about me that would offend me beyond a “**** you” response....

47 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

This is fair and i hope no one in here actually believes.

This whole situation isn't helping race relations at all in regarded to reconciliation, its having opposite effect, imo.  The fact we went from an honest mistake to this post proves that.

21 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Martin Luther Coon IS a pretty common slur for folks of a certain era. I heard it a ton growing up.

I don't have a strong opinion either way on this one.

I haven’t led a sheltered life. The first time I heard that phrase, or something that phonetically sounds like it, was when Mike Greenberg stumbled. That racist. 

-

Buffalo weatherman’s internal dialogue:

”i’m going to call Martin Luther King a coon today during the broadcast. Sure, I might get fired for it, but what a hoot, right? I’ve never given a hint of racism in my broadcasting career, so this will really freak people out “

-

There is enough blatant - as well as subversive - racism to battle in society without wasting ammo on crap like this. 

13 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I haven’t led a sheltered life. The first time I heard that phrase, or something that phonetically sounds like it, was when Mike Greenberg stumbled. That racist. 

-

Buffalo weatherman’s internal dialogue:

”i’m going to call Martin Luther King a coon today during the broadcast. Sure, I might get fired for it, but what a hoot, right? I’ve never given a hint of racism in my broadcasting career, so this will really freak people out “

-

There is enough blatant - as well as subversive - racism to battle in society without wasting ammo on crap like this. 

There's plenty of racism in  society associated with the word that came out of his mouth, the people it's used towards, and the man he who's name it was trying to enunciate. Whether he intended to say it or not is besides the point. He said it. 

And people are definitely gracious enough to believe that he truly messed up and forgive and move on, but to sit here and act like this is nothing..... Well you're wrong on that. I don't think it's nothing. The amount of history attached to that word, and that man together? It will never be nothing.

I doubt your disappointment/whatever matches anyone still alivefrom that era that had to hear that phrase again, whether it was a mistake or not. Just step outside your own shoes for a second and think about it.

Archived