Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Redskins Schedule Rumors, Leaks, & Predictions

kleese

Well, been hanging around the last week or so waiting for some sort of news, but looks like nothing significant going down so it's about time to going into Redskins decompression mode and check back in for real in August. But before that, wanted to start the annual schedule thread-- by far my favorite (only really) off-season topic. I'll post any rumors or leaks that pop up along the way and throw out some predictions too. 

As of today, we know our opponents and where we play them: 

Home: Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, Patriots, Jets, 49ers, Lions, Bears

Away: Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, Bills, Dolphins, Panthers, Packers, Vikings 

Some notes: 

--Next year is the 100 Year Anniversary of the league and rumors are circulating that it could create some twists in the schedule including potentially NOT having the SB winner host the opening Thursday game. It is possible there could be a "special" game in that Thursday slot and the SB champ host SNF in Week 1 or some sort of other juggling of that type. Unlikely this will affect the Redskins much as I wouldn't expect them to be featured week one. It is possible that if the Eagles or Cowboys win the SB (especially the Cowboys) that the Redskins could be their week one opponent in prime time. That wouldn't be a shock. 6 of their 8 road games are against teams that missed the playoffs though so Eagles or Boys would be their only option in that case. 

--If you cringe at the FedEx fan invasions, you might want to stay away next year. I think the home schedule sets up for a particularly large influx of opposing fans next year. We know what happens in the division games already and it's been awhile since the Bears were in town-- and they are good now. That fan base will roll out. Patriots and Jets fans are also likely to take over as it's just a once in every 8 year trip for them and it's not a far trip for fans with lots of people from NYC and Boston in DC already. I'm not sure about the Niners and how their fans travel; I know they have a large base of fans, but they've also been subdued for awhile so that one might depend on how they are doing and when that game is played. The Lions game is the only one I look at now where I wouldn't anticipate a huge over-taking. For that one, it will probably just be empty. If you get frustrated by opposing fans at FedEx I think it will be a particularly rough year for you next year. I anticipate attendance and fan takeover to be worse next year than even this year regardless of what we do in the off-season. 

--If you like to travel to games on the road, I think there are some interesting options. For me personally, I have family history in Buffalo and spent a lot of time there as a kid. No one is really left there and I've never been to a Bills game, but that is something I'd personally like to do and it will be on my list. I've also never been to a game in Miami and that is appealing as well. If you've never been to Lambeau it's a must-- I went in 2007 and it was incredible. I'd love to go back someday but will probably try to hit other places first. I'd also like to cross Minnesota off the list. And of course for many of you, the trip to Carolina is an easy one. I think it's an appealing road schedule and I'd expect Redskin fan turnout to be strong in many of those locations. 

--As far as National TV placement I'd expect something fairly typical for us. We won't be a "hot" featured team by any means, but we won't play exclusively at 1:00 Sunday either. The NFCE is such a safe bet for the league... Redskins/Cowboys on Thanksgiving was the highest rated game of the entire NFL season. Our game with Dallas on CBS also did really well-- and even our games against people other than Dallas typically at least generate respectable numbers. In other words, the league knows if they put the Redskins on with an attractive opponent that it is a pretty safe placement for them-- much more so say than Titans-Colts, even if that is actually a better game. I also think we'd see a hedge to putting those games earlier in the season. 

--I would not anticipate a Thanksgiving game this year. There isn't a rule against playing at Dallas or at Detroit in back to back years per se, but to my knowledge I don't think it's happened before-- and it certainly isn't common if it has. I'd also consider it a major long shot that we'd play Thanksgiving Night again. I know a lot of teams ask to NOT host that night so I guess if the Skins are willing it is possible, but I just can't see us being featured in that spot again. I am like 95% certain we will not play on Turkey Day in 2019. 

--That means we are in line for a "normal" Thursday game. Haven't had one early in the season since we played at the Giants in 2015. I do think the Giants are good possibility for our Thursday game-- especially in the first half of the season. That is likely going to be my prediction for our Thursday game next year. 

--We didn't have any primetime games at FedEx in 2018, I bet that changes in 2019. I'd expect at least one home MNF game... maybe a team like the Bears. 

--I'll say we get two MNF games, the standard TNF game, and one featured 4:25 slot, probably against Dallas (I could also see us host NE at 4:25). in the first half of season. I think SNF is a possibility, but not probable-- and if we do land there I think it is almost for sure to be against Dallas-- maybe Philly. Majority of our games will be 1:00 Sunday... Jets, Lions, Packers, Vikings, etc.. all seem to fit that slot. I don't think our game against Vikings against Kirk will be featured on purpose-- maybe a Monday Night, but I don't think that story line is anything people really care about outside of DC. 

--Again, no rule on this but after two years of very early bye weeks, I'd expect us to get one middle to late next year. Teams put in requests for the schedule all the time next year, I don't think the league really cares, but that is something they might consider if the Redskins ask specifically. 

--The London games are already decided for next year (who is "hosting") and we won't be involved. Not sure if the league is planning a Mexico City game again next year after the field debacle this year. If so, I can't imagine we'd be the "home" team and none of our away opponents fit that bill either. 

--Will wait until after Super Bowl to make final predictions. 

I always love getting schedule predictions and rumors :D i think by March we’ll have more rumors. 

I actually wouldn’t be surprised if our game @ vikings is a Monday night game or Sunday night game. Heck, that could be our Thursday night game, I’d watch that. 

As for the Mexico City game, yes the league is going to have one next season. League announced back in December there would be 3 London games and 1 Mexico City game (4 international games altogether). We won’t be in that game though. And i agree i doubt We play thanksgiving this year. 

29 minutes ago, kleese said:

--I would not anticipate a Thanksgiving game this year. There isn't a rule against playing at Dallas or at Detroit in back to back years per se, but to my knowledge I don't think it's happened before-- and it certainly isn't common if it has. 

The Eagles played at Dallas (won) in 2014 and played at Detroit (blown out) in 2015.

I think a home game against Dallas to open the season would be nice. We haven't hosted the Cowboys in the opener since 2010 (did have them in our second game in 2016 after the Steelers). Just think it'd be nice to have a positive attendance story at FedEx to open the season, although I expect things to improve on that front with the ousting of Lafemina.

I'll have fun with a prediction:

Home: Cowboys (425 Fox), Eagles (1pm Fox), Giants 1pm (Fox), Patriots (820 Thurs), Jets (1pm Fox), 49ers (405 Fox), Lions (1pm Fox), Bears (1pm Fox)

Away: Cowboys (820 NBC Sun Night), Eagles (425 Fox), Giants (830 Mon), Bills (1pm CBS), Dolphins (1pm CBS), Panthers (1pm Fox), Packers (1pm Fox), Vikings (820 NBC Sun)

1 hour ago, superozman said:

I'll have fun with a prediction:

Home: Cowboys (425 Fox), Eagles (1pm Fox), Giants 1pm (Fox), Patriots (820 Thurs), Jets (1pm Fox), 49ers (405 Fox), Lions (1pm Fox), Bears (1pm Fox)

Away: Cowboys (820 NBC Sun Night), Eagles (425 Fox), Giants (830 Mon), Bills (1pm CBS), Dolphins (1pm CBS), Panthers (1pm Fox), Packers (1pm Fox), Vikings (820 NBC Sun)

I’ll be shocked if we get two SNF games. I can’t poasibly see why Skins @ Vikings would be appealing enough for SNF. 

Also out out of curiosity I’m trying to remember 4:05 starts at FedEx since they started doing the later/staggered starts. Have we had one? I wanna say Cleveland in 2008 maybe? @HouseBowlrz might know. 

4 hours ago, madden lot said:

Yeah, this is one of my favorite threads too. I hope we play 5 division games in the first 8 weeks. Can't wait to get at them ****s.

.....you do know how awful the team will be next year right? Are you sure you want us facing our division rivals 5 times in the first 8 weeks? :P 

6 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

.....you do know how awful the team will be next year right? Are you sure you want us facing our division rivals 5 times in the first 8 weeks? :P 

Absolutely. Great chance Gruden is gone by week 9 in that scenario and the firing snowballs into a total house cleaning by Black Monday. Schedule would never happen that way but I'd be in favor, bring the pain early and often. 

4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Absolutely. Great chance Gruden is gone by week 9 in that scenario and the firing snowballs into a total house cleaning by Black Monday. Schedule would never happen that way but I'd be in favor, bring the pain early and often. 

Well. That’s way different than the other guy who says he can’t wait to “get at them ***s” 😂 

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Well. That’s way different than the other guy who says he can’t wait to “get at them ***s” 😂 

lol. We all express our ultimate fandom for the team in our own ways. I'm past the week-to-week naive rooting, until things change. 

But I can also see that my comments are not in the spirit of the thread and I'm being a buzzkill, when there are plenty of other threads for it. So I'll stop mucking it up. 

My prediction - this will be the year the Skins end up on Hard Knocks. The intrigue of a coach on the hot seat, a QB with a possible career ending injury trying to defy the odds, a clown running the asylum, a QB off the streets trying to make the roster, and an historic franchise swirling the drain.  It's the kind of trainwreck that makes compelling TV.  

36 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

My prediction - this will be the year the Skins end up on Hard Knocks. The intrigue of a coach on the hot seat, a QB with a possible career ending injury trying to defy the odds, a clown running the asylum, a QB off the streets trying to make the roster, and an historic franchise swirling the drain.  It's the kind of trainwreck that makes compelling TV.  

NFL is a buttoned-down league; they aren't going to want to go out of their way to promote one of the trainwrecks of the league. The Giants can't say no this year so that is my best guess as to which team gets it this year. 

What can be accurately be predicted is that when the schedule is released in April, 75 percent of the respondents here will complain about it being the toughest schedule in NFL history, the bye being either too early or late, or the league is conspiring to screw the Skins in one way or another.

6 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

Ohhhh and doesn't Snyder boy hate the skins being on hard knocks?

6 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

At least not at FedEx. Can't get the image of PT games the last several years, and their roving skycam highlighting whats basically Fallujah at this point.

Remember those big white torches that surrounded the outside of the stadium during night games?

Wonder if they even burn anymore?

Archived