Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HH: Coach Speculation Publication: STs Kaczor; DBs Horton; TEs Angelichio; ILBs Rob Ryan; OC OConnell; QBs Rattay; Tomsula $$$

Malapropismic Depository

5 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

I would love to get Bowles but I tend to believe in the narrative that Jay doesn't want anyone who has HC exp on his team that Danny could replace him with during a season.  I think that was the case with Wade Phillips and why he keeps crappy people around like Joe Barry, Haslett (yes he was a HC but past his prime and wasn't good), Manusky. Katowicka.  I could be wrong but Jay is a lot like Bruce in this way that he prefers his safety over the best solution for his job....which of course in the not for long league is counterproductive UNLESS you have ****e owners like Jerrah and Danny.

Doesn’t Jay hiring Callahan & Tomsula, both prior head coaches, kind of defeat that narrative?

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Doesn’t Jay hiring Callahan & Tomsula, both prior head coaches, kind of defeat that narrative?

I'm not a huge believer in the narrative. I think it's more dealing with Snyder and Allen than Jay. But, to your point, neither of those guys will ever be a HC again.

The funny thing is that everyone was all up at arm when Phillips wasn't hired as a DC here and then went to the Rams.....

year later and after a huge D spending spree Rams D is bottom 3rd of the league..can you say overrated?

While its easy to make educated opinions on players, reality is that nobody here knows anything about coaches.. that seems to includes Skins FO. After 2 years of Monusky and underperforming D I am ready for any and all change at this point.

4 minutes ago, oraphus said:

The funny thing is that everyone was all up at arm when Phillips wasn't hired as a DC here and then went to the Rams.....

year later and after a huge D spending spree Rams D is bottom 3rd of the league..can you say overrated?

While its easy to make educated opinions on players, reality is that nobody here knows anything about coaches.. that seems to includes Skins FO. After 2 years of Monusky and underperforming D I am ready for any and all change at this point.

Me too. Like a change in ownership for starters.

49 minutes ago, dyst said:

So are we going to hire new coordinators separately and then try and have them work together?

My guess would be Bowles said he would want this guy as his DB coach and the Skins went out and grabbed him to try to lure Bowles here. I dont even know if I like Bowles over Manusky to be honest. The Jets Defense has been a joke with some big name first rounders on it. 

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I dont even know if I like Bowles over Manusky to be honest. The Jets Defense has been a joke with some big name first rounders on it. 

I think it's more fair and accurate to judge his defense while he's a DC, rather than a HC.

In his 2 years as a DC in Arizona, his overall rankings were :

2013 #6

2014 #24

I guess take from that, what you will. Probably needs some more researching.

But 2 things odd about that. First the way he plummeted from 6 to 24 in the span of one year.

Then it was odd, that he was hired as HC of the Jets, coming right off that 24th ranked season.

So, there are questions to be answered before hyping up Bowles.

7 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I think it's more fair and accurate to judge his defense while he's a DC, rather than a HC.

In his 2 years as a DC in Arizona, his overall rankings were :

2013 #6

2014 #24

I guess take from that, what you will. Probably needs some more researching.

But 2 things odd about that. First the way he plummeted from 6 to 24 in the span of one year.

Then it was odd, that he was hired as HC of the Jets, coming right off that 24th ranked season.

So, there are questions to be answered before hyping up Bowles.

They were still 5th in the league in PPG allowed in 2014 though.  Gave up 20 or fewer in 13 of 16.  So there definitely was more to that story.

When it comes to firing/hiring a new coordinator.  The first thing I want to know is what they think of the current personnel.  If they are here to "transform" a unit, that usually means it is going to be a multi-season plan, and that is fine if ownership and management is on board with it, however I would want to know if they feel the current personnel was underachieving for the level of talent there is/isn't.  Also scheme-wise, would they prefer to change actual schemes, if so why etc etc etc......

I guess my point is, I don't care how big the name or reputation on other teams.  I want to know what they can do for this organization's defense.  What they feel they can change immediately for the 2019 season, and what areas will take more time to refine and make better.  

2 minutes ago, skinsfan212689 said:

We should offer Bowels an associate head coach tag attached  to his defensive coordinator title and pay him a little more than a normal DC right away. 

Gruden may not like the title but hopefully that will light a fire under his ass to coach the team better. 

Interesting, some here in this thread are suggesting it's Gruden's choice to hire a DC, and some say the choice is above him.

I posted this on another thread, Russell said they are hot for Bowles and trying to beat Arians to get him.

From reading about Bowles in the NY papers over the years

A.  Runs an aggressive defense

B.  Super nice guy, even tempered

C.  Not much personality or emotion

D.  Hammered some for not being a disciplinarian type, struggled with clock management and details as a HC. 

MaAIgBaS_bigger.jpg Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet
Following Following @RapSheet
More

Ian Rapoport Retweeted Ian Rapoport

Todd Bowles also the top target as DC. The #Bucs are signing Bruce Arians to a 4-year deal with a fifth-yaer option, source said. Among the coaches Arians hopes to finalize deals with: Harold Goodwin as Run Game Coordinator/OLine, Byron Leftwich as Pass Game Coordinator and Clyde Christianson as QB coach.

If I were Bowles I would choose TB. I think Gruden is a lame duck and I expect a whole lot of coaches around the league expect Gruden to be out next year unless he really, really surprises. However, with his first string QB maybe not available for the opener and maybe not at all, a bare cupboard when it comes to wide receiver, uncertainty at running back, and a promising, but flawed defense... what's the chance that Gruden puts it all together and makes a run?

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Secondary play was indeed bad, but maybe he was the scapegoat for it

Trade two corners and have the #2 injured plus refusing to blitz... ya, he's just a bad coach.  If Swearinger wouldn't listen to Jay when he told him to stop calling out the coaches, not sure why anyone would think he'd listen to his position coach.

Would be nice to see Bowles here, could promote him if they decide to fire our DC (which doesn't look like is going to happen now).  

Bowles would be a moron to come here and pass up the chance to coach for Arians in the NFCS. There is no job security here and we're a mess. He'll be allowed a much longer timeline to become successful in TB, especially with that roster, Arians star power, and the fact they get one mulligan year trying to salvage Jameis Winston in 2019. 

Would any of you try to catch a falling knife??? Why would any competemt defensive coordinator do that then? Gruden has had 4 def coordinators since his hire here thats a lot for a 5 year coach bandaids aint gonna work everyone needs to be scrapped theres no knight in shining armor for this team till the rot close to the top is gone

Archived