Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HH: Coach Speculation Publication: STs Kaczor; DBs Horton; TEs Angelichio; ILBs Rob Ryan; OC OConnell; QBs Rattay; Tomsula $$$

Malapropismic Depository

11 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

The Smith contract terms were 4 years/$94M. $55M was fully guaranteed.

Another $16M was to become fully guaranteed on the 5th day of the 2019 season. However, I think that additional $16M also would become fully guaranteed in the case of injury--meaning, if the Skins can't cut him due to injury in order to not pay him his 2020 salary. They wold still owe it.

So are you saying now that he's injured and very well might not come back he's owed the entire $55 million?  I read somewhere that the Skins had a $12 million dollar injury policy on him or something to that effect.

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

So are you saying now that he's injured and very well might not come back he's owed the entire $55 million?  I read somewhere that the Skins had a $12 million dollar injury policy on him or something to that effect.

I dunno how the insurance policy stuff works...but apparently Smiff was paid $27M of the guaranteed $55M already, so with the remaining $16M now due to him (provided he doesn't retire before like March 9th), the total still owed him is around $44M, possibly a little less. If the insurance thing means that amount is deducted (cap-wise) from what he is owed, I  guess it would reduce the amount to around $32M.

Grant Paulsen tweeted that our strength&conditioning coach chad englehart is one of the guys we’re not allowing to talk with any interested teams...he’s been in charge of the s&c program since 2017...we have led the league in guys being on IR since, haven’t we? Why the **** does this stupid **** team not want to get better??? There are problems, FIX THEM. Ugghhhhhhhhhh 

19 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Grant Paulsen tweeted that our strength&conditioning coach chad englehart is one of the guys we’re not allowing to talk with any interested teams...he’s been in charge of the s&c program since 2017...we have led the league in guys being on IR since, haven’t we? Why the **** does this stupid **** team not want to get better??? There are problems, FIX THEM. Ugghhhhhhhhhh 

I have no idea how much if any fault lays at the feet of the S&C coach for all the injuries, but it does seem wierd that this guy is off limits.  A quick look shows me he was head of S&C when Jay was with the Tuskers in 2009.

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

You're overlooking one important thing: someone wants to hire our strength and conditioning coach, even after all the players on IR.

That could mean the belief that the injuries are due to poor "strength and conditioning" isn't quite accurate. Imagine if the team that wanted the Skins' S&C coach were the Steelers or the Patriots...

10 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

You're overlooking one important thing: someone wants to hire our strength and conditioning coach, even after all the players on IR.

That could mean the belief that the injuries are due to poor "strength and conditioning" isn't quite accurate. Imagine if the team that wanted the Skins' S&C coach were the Steelers or the Patriots...

What if it's the Cardinals or Jaguars

8 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Out of mild curiosity...

Why do you think the S&C staff are responsible for the injuries?

What do you think the S&C staffs role is?

Do you believe there are any other parties responsible for the injuries?

This isn't just directed at you... I'm kind of curious for anyone who is all in on this "it's the S&C staff's fault for the injuries" to answer these so I can try to understand your vantage point.

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Out of mild curiosity...

Why do you think the S&C staff are responsible for the injuries?

What do you think the S&C staffs role is?

Do you believe there are any other parties responsible for the injuries?

This isn't just directed at you... I'm kind of curious for anyone who is all in on this "it's the S&C staff's fault for the injuries" to answer these so I can try to understand your vantage point.

There does seem to be a lot of mixed opinions on this.

Some have pointed to the apparent soft practise sessions and general easy-going attitute (Gruden's fault).

Others have called out the poor facilities that the players have access to (Snyder's fault).

More recently there has been talk about over-agressive practise sessions being a factor in O-Line injuries (Callahan's fault).

And now S&C are taking some heat (Englehart's fault?)

Maybe some, or all of these have contributed to our injury woes to a varying degree. Maybe something else has caused them or maybe (most likely IMO) it's the random nature of injuries due to a violent game played by big, strong and fast individuals.

If players were getting injured in the gym more than usual, then the S&C methods probably should be reviewed, but I doubt if any blame could be attributed to them directly.

3 minutes ago, London Kev said:

Maybe some, or all of these have contributed to our injury woes to a varying degree. Maybe something else has caused them or maybe (most likely IMO) it's the random nature of injuries due to a violent game played by big, strong and fast individuals.

If players were getting injured in the gym more than usual, then the S&C methods probably should be reviewed, but I doubt if any blame could be attributed to them directly.

I'm of the opinion that everything plays a role.

However, to be a touch more specific:

Our front office likes to rely on players with an injury history to fill the roster. They come a touch cheaper. Therefore they can maximize talent and minimize cost on players. This, in my opinion, is the biggest reason we are so injury prone: We fill the roster with injury prone players.

Soft practices by Gruden/the CBA are also a contributor to injuries on the Redskins/around the league respectively.

Callahan allegedly pushing the linemen much harder, if true, is also a contributor (which really blurs the line on Gruden's soft camp causing injuries vs. Callahan's tough nature on the linemen causing injuries, doesn't it?)

Some may even be the S&C staff... or it may not. They can't control a player's effort. But maybe they aren't focusing on the right things with the program... We really have no way of knowing that. But broken legs aren't on the S&C staff. Concussions aren't, either. Guice's ACL probably shouldn't be either. Trey Quinn's injuries likely aren't. The list goes on.

But the S&C staff is lower on my list of culprits... but in totality it's the organization as a whole that is at fault for the rash of injuries.

19 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

When was the last time we blocked a punt or a kick ?

It's like i say, "If ya aint blockin kicks, don't block your ST Coach interviews"

And how about all those muffed punts by Crowder ?

I think Kotwicas loss will be a little greater than many on here expect. It doesn't take too long of a walk down memory lane to revisit the nightmare of Bazooka Joe and the frequent blocked punts, FGs and returned punts against us. Remember that ST relies on our 2nd and 3rd level talent for the majority of their positions. Having 2,437 players on IR and almost impossible roster turnover to deal with, our ST play SHOULD have been abysmal. Yet, it wasn't. He was given feces and feathers to cook with, yet was still able to cook up a palatable meatloaf.

1 hour ago, bowhunter said:

I think Kotwicas loss will be a little greater than many on here expect. It doesn't take too long of a walk down memory lane to revisit the nightmare of Bazooka Joe and the frequent blocked punts, FGs and returned punts against us. Remember that ST relies on our 2nd and 3rd level talent for the majority of their positions. Having 2,437 players on IR and almost impossible roster turnover to deal with, our ST play SHOULD have been abysmal. Yet, it wasn't. He was given feces and feathers to cook with, yet was still able to cook up a palatable meatloaf.

He's right about that part in bold.

During Kotwica's time as ST coach, the percentage of punts that got blocked per year were:

2018 - 0%

2017 - 0%

2016 - 0%

2015 - 1.3%

2014 - 1.2%

The four years prior to his arrival?

2013 - 1.2%

2012 - 2.7%

2011 - 0%

2010 - 1.1%

Percentage of field goals blocked under Kotwica:

2018 - 0%

2017 - 3.6%

2016 - 0%

2015 - 3.2%

2014 - 0%

2013 - 7.7%

2012 - 0%

2011 - 12.2%

2010 - 2.9%

The number of kickoff and punt returns for TDs under Kotwica:

Redskins - 3

Opponents - 6

Redskins - 1

Opponents - 5

5 hours ago, London Kev said:

There does seem to be a lot of mixed opinions on this.

Some have pointed to the apparent soft practise sessions and general easy-going attitute (Gruden's fault).

Others have called out the poor facilities that the players have access to (Snyder's fault).

More recently there has been talk about over-agressive practise sessions being a factor in O-Line injuries (Callahan's fault).

And now S&C are taking some heat (Englehart's fault?)

Honestly, it sounds like a lot of people making excuses for things they cant control. 

5 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Looks like Greg is returning.

So the question now is, will one "G" be enough for this defense ?

4 hours ago, Califan007 said:

He's right about that part in bold.

During Kotwica's time as ST coach, the percentage of punts that got blocked per year were:

Caifan, the thing I'm unsure about in all these "blocked" stats is, are we talking about our kicks that were blocked, or opponent kicks that were blocked ?

14 hours ago, Califan007 said:

maybe, or maybe not. simply precluding someone from speaking to other teams doesn't necessarily mean there were interested parties.  logically this makes little sense but consider the source...

Still cannot believe that Greg is going to come back now.  I know that Bruce has proven time and again he does not care for poor optics but surely there has to be an appreciation that Manusky cannot lead the D with any credibility now.

Despite the comments from John Allen in his defense it is clear that there was some significant discontent with the playcalling down the stretch and DJ simply was the only one putting his name to the comments.  If the D did not respect Greg before how on earth are they supposed to respect him now he has been completely emasculated in public?  I would rather go back to Joe Barry than go another season with Greg in these circumstances.

Got to believe they will either wave a fat payday at a big name retread.  Jack Del Rio certainly fits the bill and after reading a recent interview with him I even think Jeff Fisher would take a coordinator gig to get back in the game.  If they don't want to go for a big name, maybe to avoid setting up speculation that they are lining up a replacement for Jay, then I expect they will try to grab a young position coach from one of the remaining playoff teams and sell them as the next great Defensive mind.   

26 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Got to believe they will either wave a fat payday at a big name retread.  Jack Del Rio certainly fits the bill and after reading a recent interview with him I even think Jeff Fisher would take a coordinator gig to get back in the game.  If they don't want to go for a big name, maybe to avoid setting up speculation that they are lining up a replacement for Jay, then I expect they will try to grab a young position coach from one of the remaining playoff teams and sell them as the next great Defensive mind.   

Like say...Hoody Jr?  If Flores goes to Miami I wonder if he's in line to call the Pats defense next year.

Image result for stephen belichick

Josh Boyer comes to mind, has some experience as a DC in the college ranks, albeit at a very small school, and has spent 12 years working with the Pats and is still only 41.  Aaron Glenn in New Orleans seems to be well thought of too.

I should clarify, I don't actually think any of these guys is the answer but I just don't think we have heard the last of this issue.  This is a mess now and Bruce and Dan will want to make a move that they can spin as a splash hire and getting someone who was still involved in the playoffs allows them to sell this as though it were always the plan and that is why they waited to fire GM and they never really wanted Wilkes/Williams/Bowles etc. 

Archived