Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HH: Coach Speculation Publication: STs Kaczor; DBs Horton; TEs Angelichio; ILBs Rob Ryan; OC OConnell; QBs Rattay; Tomsula $$$

Malapropismic Depository

51 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So his 'uncanny hit rate' has taken a hit, huh ? Lol

Guess so. I find him an excellent follow, even if he has a bit of an ego when people doubt him. But when he's wrong, he calls it out and donates to charity for it lol. Hard to hate that. To me I find him better, as someone who says what he's hearing and has a good hit rate, than someone like Rapaport who only posts things that are already done, just breaking the news, or posts the same rumors many others are, with a meh hit rate. I can follow Schefter for the breaking news and obvious rumors/retweets of others reports. Allbright is a more entertaining rumurmill guy imo. 

I'm wondering what Kevin O'Connel will do about breaking the obvious play calling tendencies of Jay Gruden and designing plays that help players be more successful.  Example is the play calling by Gruden that asks Doctson to get seperation (which he can't) vs allowing him to go in motion and benefit from a pick.  The play calling has simply been terrible by Gruden and it's not going to change with his obvious tendencies being exploited for years now.  Gruden isn't a play caller in todays NFL.  Gruden also doesn't put his players in the best position to succeed.  I'm 100% hoping that Kevin O'Connel calls the plays and all the predictable tendencies of Gruden's play calling are a thing of the past.  With that bringing improvement in 2019, Kevin O'Connel should replace Gruden in 2020. 

23 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

I'm wondering what Kevin O'Connel will do about breaking the obvious play calling tendencies of Jay Gruden and designing plays that help players be more successful.  Example is the play calling by Gruden that asks Doctson to get seperation (which he can't) vs allowing him to go in motion and benefit from a pick.  The play calling has simply been terrible by Gruden and it's not going to change with his obvious tendencies being exploited for years now.  Gruden isn't a play caller in todays NFL.  Gruden also doesn't put his players in the best position to succeed.  I'm 100% hoping that Kevin O'Connel calls the plays and all the predictable tendencies of Gruden's play calling are a thing of the past.  With that bringing improvement in 2019, Kevin O'Connel should replace Gruden in 2020. 

Very good questions.

But I wonder if it will be like in the past, where we wonder exactly how much responsibility that people like O'Connell have.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone listened to this Episode of the John Keim Report?

https://johnkeimreport.libsyn.com/jp-finlay-nbc-sports-washington

John is joined by JP Finlay from NBC Sports Washington. They were going to discuss first impressions of Dwayne Haskins but Reuben Foster suffered a season ending injury on day one of OTA practice. 

Meantime John plays the group interview involving new quarterback Dwayne Haskins 

I bring it up in this thread because around the 7 minute mark or so there is an interesting nugget in there about Ray Horton and Greg Manusky that I hadn't heard yet. They are basically saying that Ray Horton is our de-facto Pass Coverage Coordinator and will be sort of taking over for Greg Manusky in that area, since one of his biggest weaknesses is scheming the right coverage to complement what his front 7 is dialing up. They also said Torrian Gray, while a good guy, wasn't established enough to handle taking that responsibility from Manusky, but Horton as a former coach can step in with more authority.

I am looking forward to the Frankenstein defense where the coverage and the rush are completely at odds.

I think what they need to do is split up even more. Horton designs the coverage, Manusky designs the pass rush, and then they bring in a gameshow host to call the plays during the game. Bonus points if he picks his plays by spinning a wheel.

56 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I am looking forward to the Frankenstein defense where the coverage and the rush are completely at odds.

I think what they need to do is split up even more. Horton designs the coverage, Manusky designs the pass rush, and then they bring in a gameshow host to call the plays during the game. Bonus points if he picks his plays by spinning a wheel.

Yes they will scheme completely independent of one another and never discuss strategy jointly.

6 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So Horton is our Permanent DC-Input Guy ?

Yeah he's the defensive version of Zorn's bingo caller OC.

Gotta love it after they couldn't actually replace Manusky they instead create a likely cluster****.

6 hours ago, Master Blaster said:

Yes they will scheme completely independent of one another and never discuss strategy jointly.

Your post almost sounds like it's supposed to be sarcastic. Almost like our publicly humiliated DC is supposed to enjoy dividing up his authority to share it with his in-house replacement.

A little exercise for anyone interested.

Rate each coaching change as an upgrade or downgrade...or about lateral.

Don't judge me too much,  as I'm just putting in mine, without too much thought or research, and trying to sum it up in just a few words.

ST's Kotwica to Kaczor : Downgrade

DB's Gray to Horton : Lateral, possible Upgrade (complicated and hard to call)

TE's Phillips to Angelichio : Lateral, possible Upgrade

ILB's Olivadotti to Rob Ryan : Upgrade

OC Cavanaugh/Gruden to O'Connell : Upgrade

QB's O'Connell to Rattay : Downgrade, but Rattay is somewhat of an unknown

Archived