Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HH: Coach Speculation Publication: STs Kaczor; DBs Horton; TEs Angelichio; ILBs Rob Ryan; OC OConnell; QBs Rattay; Tomsula $$$

Malapropismic Depository

Rob Ryan as our ILB Coach?

Ok. I hate it.

Not really something against the guy himself, but it's another dumb move from cheap Bruce that is only adding to the mess:

1 - We've interview guys for the DC position that turned us down to replace Manusky. So, with 2 positions coaches leaving for lateral moves, we're bringing 2 unemployed ex DC to coach those positions. Which basically means one of them will get the DC job when Manusky's will be fired at some point next season.

2 - There are reports about us interviewing guys for the QB Coach position. There were none about us interviewing Ryan or Horton. In fact, we interviewed Ryan 2 years ago. Looks like Bruce just took his phone for Ryan saying that he's got a job opening and signed the guy.

3 - Rob Ryan may be a good ILB coach, and while I do have my doubts about that he also haven't much to work with, Zach Brown is still looking out, R. Foster still on the exempt list and will most likely be suspended.

4 - On the same thing, he's not gonna teach fast to Mason Foster.

5 - Ryan is a big mouth guy. You hated Swearinger? He'll be worse. You can already book your popcorns for dissension between the Defensive coaches. Tomsula/Horton/Ryan. That will be explosive early, and often.

We're just adding mess to the mess. The coaches moves lately are a total joke and will backfires quite fast. Bruce is still believing we are close to SB 4. Which couldn't be more wrong. So we're adding big names and big mouth guys on the defensive side of coaching. Which will turn the D into a mess. I can't wait for Rob Ryan criticizing Manusky's scheme, or saying that his ILB are fine and that DB sucks, or that DL whiffed. 

Or Horton, Tomsula and Ryan, just like on O will be involved in calling D plays... Sure that will go fine...

Yeah, everything will be fine on the defensive side of the ball.

On the Offense, it's gonna be an even mess. We're still not able to do simple things right.

We promoted Cavanaugh, or at least that's how it looks like to Senior Offensive Assistant. What kind of thing is that? If he wasn't good as OC, then fire him. Then we promote O'Connell to OC, but he probably won't be calling plays either, because you still have Callahan as Assistant HC. 

So we're still gonna have 4 guys involved in calling plays. And I can't wait for the next QB coach to be involved in passing plays. And Jay trying to please everyone in calling plays. That's at least 3 guys to many, and we're gonna go with Colt or Johnson or whoever Rookie you want to insert in this mess.

If I'm a QB agent in the upcoming draft I would strongly suggest for my client to pull out an Eli Manning type of stuff, or refuse to sign or whatever, because those will probably break your career before it evens start... This team won't be QB friendly. Especially with all those injuries on the OL.

2-14, here we come, and I'm being kind. Things are not gonna be pretty next year. But as SIP use to say, maybe that will be the straw that will make Dan go into rampage. Bad results, empty seats, drowning TV ratings.

Yeah, everything will be fine next year at Redskins.

53 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Rob Ryan is one hell of a defensive coach and a great hire IMO.

Why do you think this? This isn't cautious optimism, you legit think he's "one hell of a defensive coach"? 

Note: I don't care about the hire, I think it's a one year position. But you're the first person I've seen this enthusiastic about it. Why? 

12 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Why do you think this? This isn't cautious optimism, you legit think he's "one hell of a defensive coach"? 

Note: I don't care about the hire, I think it's a one year position. But you're the first person I've seen this enthusiastic about it. Why? 

Teddy Bruschi, Ted Johnson, Willie McGinest, Bryan Cox, Roman Phifer, Mike Vrabel, Keith Brooking, Demarcus Ware, Sean Lee, Victor Butler, Anthony Spencer, Curtis Lofton, and Junior Galette.  This is a list of some of the linebackers that Ryan has helped develop. Other than Ware and Lee how many of them strike you as incredible athletes? He has gotten more out of the linebacker position than just about anyone else except for maybe Parcells. There are a few guys on that list that arent athletic marvels and are arguable hall of famers. He has 30 years of defensive coaching experience. HE KNOWS DEFENSE. ALL DEFENSE. He is a master at applying pressure from the 3-4. Granted he isnt our DC. But you better believe his input has value in the meting room His players love playing for him. And that alone is good to have in the meeting room as well. I think he will be a great influence on Reuben Foster. Kenny Vaccaro sums it up best.

Kenny Vaccaro:

“You’ve never heard a story of how he’s lost his players.”

12 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Teddy Bruschi, Ted Johnson, Willie McGinest, Bryan Cox, Roman Phifer, Mike Vrabel, Keith Brooking, Demarcus Ware, Sean Lee, Victor Butler, Anthony Spencer, Curtis Lofton, and Junior Galette.  This is a list of some of the linebackers that Ryan has helped develop. Other than Ware and Lee how many of them strike you as incredible athletes? He has gotten more out of the linebacker position than just about anyone else except for maybe Parcells. There are a few guys on that list that arent athletic marvels and are arguable hall of famers. He has 30 years of defensive coaching experience. HE KNOWS DEFENSE. ALL DEFENSE. He is a master at applying pressure from the 3-4. Granted he isnt our DC. But you better believe his input has value in the meting room His players love playing for him. And that alone is good to have in the meeting room as well. I think he will be a great influence on Reuben Foster. Kenny Vaccaro sums it up best.

Kenny Vaccaro:

“You’ve never heard a story of how he’s lost his players.”

Imagine what he will get out of Reuben Foster, Shaun Dion Hamilton, Ryan Andersen, Josh Harvey-Clemons,  Foster and Zach Brown.  I bet we will see much better play out of these players next season.

27 minutes ago, Hogs86 said:

Imagine what he will get out of Reuben Foster, Shaun Dion Hamilton, Ryan Andersen, Josh Harvey-Clemons,  Foster and Zach Brown.  I bet we will see much better play out of these players next season.

Not even mentioning the help he will give to Kerrigan IMO. Who is already a 13 sack guy.  Now I know ILB coach. But he will still be in the LB meeting room. 

Do Ryan and manusky know each other?.. here's to hoping they get along.

55 minutes ago, Hogs86 said:

Is Zach Brown returning next year?

22 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Do Ryan and manusky know each other?.. here's to hoping they get along.

Is Zach Brown returning next year?

Zach Brown played with a torn oblique muscle this season. His regression had to be because of his injury.  He signed a three year deal for 24 million.  The question is can the redskins afford to cut him.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Totally Speculation :

Tomsula signed his extension before Ryan was hired, and when Tomsula heard of the hire of Ryan, he really, really wanted out, and wanted to void out the contract based on the 24 Hour Rule.

Tomsula could still retire and give back the money.  I don't think that's the case.

11 hours ago, Hogs86 said:

Zach Brown played with a torn oblique muscle this season. His regression had to be because of his injury.  He signed a three year deal for 24 million.  The question is can the redskins afford to cut him.

absolutely they can afford to cut him.  Releasing him only counts as a $3 mil dead cap hit.  We'd be saving almost $6 mil.  

As far as Rob Ryan goes, I don't mind the move at all.  I'm not going to say this is a move that will definitively change the entire dynamic of the defense.  I think it CAN have a positive influence on the defense, as the ILB position was vastly a position of criticism last year.  I think we will absolutely see improvement on a playmaking level.  I think we'll see the ILBs get more sacks and TFLs because they won't be coached to sit back and react.  It'll be interesting to see what dynamic he can bring, and see if he elects to try and keep Zach Brown, especially since Rob Ryan was the DC in Buffalo the year Zach Brown was there.  

31 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Hope not 

HTTR 

Man people have soured on ZB.

The guy was a revelation 2 years ago when his speed was on display and it was glaringly apparent he was what we needed.

Last year he disappeared much of the time and was not the same guy.. I hope it was because of injury not because he got paid.

2 hours ago, crabbypatty said:

Man people have soured on ZB.

The guy was a revelation 2 years ago when his speed was on display and it was glaringly apparent he was what we needed.

Last year he disappeared much of the time and was not the same guy.. I hope it was because of injury not because he got paid.

and Rob Ryan was his DC.... 

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41054323-4

Redskins president Bruce Allen said on The Team 980 that the promotion of Kevin O'Connell was made because coach Jay Gruden wanted "to get some new thinking and fresh thinking into the offense." Allen said as of now Gruden would call the plays, but other sources have said that could still change. Allen also said the Redskins were not yet preparing for life without Alex Smith this season. However, the Redskins clearly know he might not play this season because of his compound fracture and are considering options to bolster the position. Allen also told the Inside the Locker Room show on 980 that as Smith "develops we'll have a better idea of when" he might return.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fkeim_john.png&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
John Keim, ESPN Staff Writer1h ago

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41054323-4

Redskins president Bruce Allen said on The Team 980 that the promotion of Kevin O'Connell was made because coach Jay Gruden wanted "to get some new thinking and fresh thinking into the offense." Allen said as of now Gruden would call the plays, but other sources have said that could still change. Allen also said the Redskins were not yet preparing for life without Alex Smith this season. However, the Redskins clearly know he might not play this season because of his compound fracture and are considering options to bolster the position. Allen also told the Inside the Locker Room show on 980 that as Smith "develops we'll have a better idea of when" he might return.

John Keim, ESPN Staff Writer1h ago

Just like their approach to interviewing those DC candidates, right ?

Get some fresh ideas to pass onto Manusky.

On 1/30/2019 at 4:53 PM, clskinsfan said:

A lot less negativity in this thread about the Ryan hiring than in some of the others. Glad to see that. Because Rob Ryan is one hell of a defensive coach and a great hire IMO.

I made a comment about how the skins needed more dysfunction, but honestly, I dont hate the hire.  I'm not too excited about it either.  Let's see if his fiery personality makes an impact.  Just like with the KOC promotion, we've got nothing to lose, so sure let's give it a shot.  I still am betting we clean house with the coaching staff next year.  

As far as rob Ryan being a hell of a defensive coordinator, he did have some good defenses in new Orleans and Dallas. And I laugh remembering when he got fired from Dallas, he said "so what, I'll be unemployed for about five minutes.". And he was right.  But the stats show a guy who had awful defenses his first seven or so years in the league, and then with each of his next two stops, his defenses got worse as his tenure wore on until he was fired.  Nothing to get too excited about.  

Archived