Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HH: Coach Speculation Publication: STs Kaczor; DBs Horton; TEs Angelichio; ILBs Rob Ryan; OC OConnell; QBs Rattay; Tomsula $$$

Malapropismic Depository

42 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Williams got more money from the Jets and used the Skins.   Joe Woods is a name to keep an eye on.  Been saying this for a couple days now.  He's from the TB good ole boy network Allen/Gruden days.

Yeah, so far that reincarnation of the Bucs hasn't really went that well...

26 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

http://nfltraderumors.co/jets-hiring-gregg-williams-as-defensive-coordinator/

Jets Hiring Gregg Williams as Defensive Coordinator...

giphy.gif

Gregg W did not excite me anyway. 

Manusky is not the guy and surely they cannot continue with him now that they have publicly chased replacements for his job.  I would far rather we show some initiative for once and get the next up and coming DC rather than yet another retread but if Dan wants name recognition then swing for the fences.  Rex Ryan still wants to coach and nobody is hiring him to be a Head Coach any time soon.  Offer him a boatload of money and an assistant HC title and he would probably jump at it, chance to get back in and maybe earn another shot and he is going to love all the fat boys on our line.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was ok with the hire of Manusky but I wouldn't say his resume is "good" at least no statistically speaking.  In 11 years he never had a top 10 defense (zero) in yards and just twice in points.  More than half of those years the defenses were top 20 or worse.   I think his reputation is average.   

I was talking mostly about last year, but your point is valid. I could counter and say that his defenses haven't been horrible either, but thats not the point. We wanted a big name and got Manusky. but yeah an average reputation. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To me the operative point is can they attract top names to Redskins Park.  The answer seems to be no.  Now I do think old school Dan can attract the big names by offering big money but if they are going to be cheap about it -- the days of big names considering coming here I think might be dead and gone until Bruce at least leaves. 

See, I think that this is the problem. With FAs its more about the money. I think with coaches its less about that and more about the chaos. If reports from your boy CR are true then coaches don't want to be here. That means that we would have to pay a lot more (if they'll take anything) to come here. So it becomes less about how much will Dan pay and more about who will put up with Dan / Bruce? 

And the funny thing is that in spite of this we've still got a good coaching tree and GM tree from under us. But where is this going? Is Gray another talent that we will have let get away who will become good elsewhere? It seems like we can discover talent but we don't want to mess with our power structure to enable that power (although I will say that McVay and LaFleur are different cases in that it would have been hard to hire either of them when they were here. But we did in some way choose Gruden over both of them. (Kyle as well, but I don't think he's a really good coach just yet) LaFleur either yet but we'll see. He was the guy I wanted if Gruden was fired. 

10 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I was talking mostly about last year, but your point is valid. I could counter and say that his defenses haven't been horrible either, but thats not the point. We wanted a big name and got Manusky. but yeah an average reputation. 

Agree they weren't horrible, hence I said average.  I've met him twice really good dude, played catch once with my son at a game, cool stuff.

See, I think that this is the problem. With FAs its more about the money. I think with coaches its less about that and more about the chaos. If reports from your boy CR are true then coaches don't want to be here. That means that we would have to pay a lot more (if they'll take anything) to come here. So it becomes less about how much will Dan pay and more about who will put up with Dan / Bruce? 

The cliff notes version of my take on this is for people to deal with more crap they need to get paid more money.  But they will struggle with the recipe of coming here means more crap and less money than elsewhere.  I already see jokes on twitter about how they are going to want to fire Jay next year but will keep him on staff as they search for a better replacement and they strike out so they extend Jay instead.  And am cool with Jay.  But the FO being mocked for chasing people and being nicely rejected is on point. 

And if its true that Dan has gotten cheap as to paying for help and wants new coaches to swallow staff, they will likely struggle to land the top candidates they want if those candidates have other options.

And the funny thing is that in spite of this we've still got a good coaching tree and GM tree from under us. But where is this going? Is Gray another talent that we will have let get away who will become good elsewhere? It seems like we can discover talent but we don't want to mess with our power structure to enable that power (although I will say that McVay and LaFleur are different cases in that it would have been hard to hire either of them when they were here. But we did in some way choose Gruden over both of them. (Kyle as well, but I don't think he's a really good coach just yet) LaFleur either yet but we'll see. He was the guy I wanted if Gruden was fired. 

I don't know myself but judging from beat guys who cover the team, they say the two people they can't let leave the building are Kevin O'Connell and Kyle Smith.  Both are considered rising superstars according to them around the league.

37 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I’ve now reached the point where I’m actively cheering against the FO’s wishes.

this news pleases me

Funny just listening to Dukes just now calling the off season a disaster and embarrassing.  I get the point but its still early.  If they are looking for a splash at D coordinator -- looks like strike and miss on that front.  They double down on Bruce so that's another PR disaster.  Some (not me) were dying for a HC change -- that didn't happen either.

Wonder with Gregg turning them down, where they turn next?  Bruce is probably on the phone now working on landing Antonio Brown?  😀

I am on the lets crash in 2019 mode.  Sweeps out Bruce hopefully and embarrasses Dan.  And we luck into Tua or Fromm or Herbert -- Tua being my preference.    It's the only thing that elevates my mood.  I've never been so relaxed about an off season.  Failure of any kind doesn't bother me.  Heck I am even going to endorse this years Bruce's flea market approach to buying junk in FA.  

The wild card is does Dan feel the need to do something crazy when they struggle to sell season tickets.  I noticed they are now pushing 2 for 1 deals on club seats/season tickets

I'm really not understanding the GW love here. In fact, I was probably "meh" at best about it. We were wanting to replace our DC with another DC that is more prone to drama and hasn't had a top 10 D in a long time. A retread to make a splash, I get that some here dig that. I'd rather gamble on young unproven talent that on a  run of mill DC who only has name recognition. 

LOL  not what I was hoping for, but what should be expected.  All I can do is laugh now, hysterically laugh at the **** show that is the Washington Redskins franchise.  

1.  Pro-Bowl safety complains to media about soft practices and defensive coordinator and play calling; player gets cut right before season ends with FO not waiting until things calm down in the off-season to try and trade said player for some type of compensation.

2.  Pro-Bowl safety, despite all of the "he's been on 4 teams in 6 years" justification from some fans/media immediately gets claimed off waivers by one of those former teams.

3.  Bruce Allen retained and still driving the car off the cliff while holding Danny's hand.

4.  Redskins fire Brian Lafemina along with three of his executives (Steve Ziff, Jake Bye, Todd Kline).

5.  Rumors/reports that multiple coaches are tired of said three ring circus and want out (Jim Tomsula, Bill Callahan)

6.  Manusky still retained, despite being a horrible defensive coordinator and horrible play caller (my guess is this was damage control for the whole screwed up mishandling of the DJ situation - e.g. not letting one disgruntled, but honest player get a coach fired)

7.  Once word gets out that Gregg Williams is still available, Redskins actively pursue him for the defensive coordinator position that is currently filled.  Along with also interviewing other candidates for the same position.

8.  Redskins also interview Joe Woods for defensive backs coaching position......while that position is also currently filled by Torrian Gray

Please feel free to add to the list.......I'm out of give a ****s at this point, it's hopeless.  It should be a real simple concept, if you are going to interview for a coaching position, fire the flipping coach at that position before conducting interviews.  So sick of the backwards ass way things are done with this organization.  Is there any legit defensive coordinator candidates left?  

This is how it feels to me.  I've felt that way since the end of the season (I've been relatively optimistic the previous 3 off seasons) with the disclaimer that they can maybe veer things in a positive way, yet.  But so far to me they are right on course for the Tank for Tua campaign am hoping for. From what I read the Dolphins might try to go there intentionally, I think the Redskins end up there unintentionally.  Granted the off season is still young.

Am thinking either Bruce has Dan brainwashed that this is a great team or Dan is in a panic looking for another move to reignite excitement.    If its the later, I am guessing they might trade up in this draft for a QB.  An exciting new QB is really the only shiny toy that Dan can try to sell.  Otherwise the 2019 season might be a combination of being a boring and bad team that will make the 2018 issues with fans seem like the good old days. 

45 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

I'm really not understanding the GW love here. In fact, I was probably "meh" at best about it. We were wanting to replace our DC with another DC that is more prone to drama and hasn't had a top 10 D in a long time. A retread to make a splash, I get that some here dig that. I'd rather gamble on young unproven talent that on a  run of mill DC who only has name recognition. 

The GW love actually represented change. To really peg it down I'd say most people were for 'not Manusky' and Gregg Williams just happens to be a name that people knows. 

instead of change it's this weird version of the 'same' where people know they aren't loved, but are pretending everything is cool.

It's become this weird type of normal where nothing changed, but people in jobs feel less safe. 

Redskins keep talking to defensive coordinators. Weird thing is they still have one.

You are Greg Manusky. Your title, as far as you know, is defensive coordinator of the Washington Redskins. The last time you checked the team’s Web site — and you check frequently, just to be sure — there was your picture right next to that title. Your Wikipedia page describes you as “currently the defensive coordinator for the Washington Redskins of the National Football League (NFL).” Safe and sound.

So before you click “refresh” again, put your feet up on your desk and relax. You have your job.

Except that desk, the one out in Ashburn, didn’t it used to belong to Gregg Williams, Washington’s assistant head coach-defense from 2004-07?

What does Gregg Williams have to do with you, Greg Manusky? Nothing, right? He was let go from his job with the Cleveland Browns — whom he led to a 5-3 record as the interim head coach this past season — and now he’s heading to the New York Jets to coordinate the defense there under the new regime of Coach Adam Gase.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-keep-talking-to-defensive-coordinators-weird-thing-is-they-still-have-one/2019/01/15/79698324-18f9-11e9-9ebf-c5fed1b7a081_story.html?utm_term=.5d03d5c07997

Probably the most mixed narrative from different people who cover the team about Dan is his ego in the context of the status of the team.  Some saying he is aware of how his team's brand is in big trouble and some saying he doesn't.  The narrative about Bruce is consistent in that his arrogance and ego is really high. 

But like a lot of outward ego manics it masks insecurity.  And the way they've approached this spot shows insecurity.  They like to dance with these guys to see if they have a chance but without getting formally rejected and keep Manusky on staff because they are fearful they will strike out.  Finlay said that Manusky wasn't their first choice last time but their top candidates turned them down and he thinks they are fearful to be shot down again.  

Archived