Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HH: Coach Speculation Publication: STs Kaczor; DBs Horton; TEs Angelichio; ILBs Rob Ryan; OC OConnell; QBs Rattay; Tomsula $$$

Malapropismic Depository

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

This is not towards you, SIP but if anyone thinks that Gregg Williams will be the next DC of this team, they are losing it.  He left here on bad terms and is simply using Snyder/Allen to raise the price on the Jets.  He'll never don B&G again.  

2 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

I agree.

On a side note, this franchise is a complete embarrassment. We can't do a single goddamn thing right. We're interviewing/looking for replacements for a coaching staff that still employs the existing coaches. Who the hell does that? If I were these coaches, I'd resign and tell Snyder and Bruce to go **** themselves.

Since the thread got long, you all may have missed this.

But a couple people seemed to corroborate that there was an instant at a Skins home game, that GW seemed to embrace Snyder, either before or after the game.

If that is true, it changes everything.

And how can we assume they never made up, or that it's not possible ? It doesn't necessarily make the headlines, if that happened.

29 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

If that was the case don't you think the beat guys would have it? The coaches released would have no reason to keep the FO's secrets. 

Not saying it's right but we didn't and still don't know what's going on with T. Gray.  I suspect the secrecy is part of getting $$ out of their contracts.  We did hear about coaches making calls for jobs earlier in this process so there's that too.  It's a matter of connecting the dots.  Stupid for sure....

54 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

To this point it's not like Jay has been doing a great job of picking DC's.  LOL  Something has to give!

I also wonder if when Jay said one of the things he'd like to see improved was FO communication he met this kind of crap. 

I also get the feeling the guys on the defensive staff who are out have been notified already.

Jay, Greg and the other coaches are puppets.  All except for Kotwica who is now in Atlanta.

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

To this point it's not like Jay has been doing a great job of picking DC's.  LOL  Something has to give!

I also wonder if when Jay said one of the things he'd like to see improved was FO communication he met this kind of crap. 

I also get the feeling the guys on the defensive staff who are out have been notified already.

On the aggregate I like Jay but have some issues with him.  The defensive coordinator job would be top on that list.  Having said that considering how cheap Bruce-Dan have becoming in recent years, it wouldn't shock me if they either wanted Haz to stay or Jay knew that's what they wanted to hear so he agreed.  Ditto Manusky who was already on staff.  When you keep the status quo -- its not just with the main dude but all the assistants typically stay too thus you save money versus starting from scratch.  Old school Dan would blow out a staff and start fresh without hesitation -- new school Dan seems to be a penny pincher.  Not sure if that's all Bruce's influence or about him being cash poor or a little of both. 

This is part of the reason why I'd be stunned if Gregg takes a job here.  Because I gather they will gauge whether he's willing to swallow some of the current staff.  Heck maybe that's even why Manusky hasn't been let go yet -- hey can you take him on as assistant defensive coach or LBs coach or whatever.

Back to Jay, I suspect he'd actually get along personally with Gregg and much better than Dan and Bruce would with Gregg -- for 2 reasons:

A.  They are both football guys and would likely bond over that -- Bruce and Dan aren't football guys they just think they are

B.  Jay strikes me as a guy who gets along with all types.

So I think Jay would adjust.  The issue would be if the season goes south and I think it will -- you got a coach on staff who is HC material.  And that might overhang the season some -- sort of like having a good backup QB in the wings, etc. 

Time out. :)

I gotta set some of this **** straight.

When Gibbs retired, Gregg, like any other candidate had to interview for the HC job. Where Gregg went wrong in the interview was he talked about what he had done. He didn't touch on what he would do for the future. That's it right there in a nutshell as to why Gregg didn't get the gig, no vision for the future, just qualifications from the past.

Dan are cool, there's no beef.

Doug only talked to Bowles because they knew he was headed to Tampa. Though personally with the D that Chicago has, he shoulda talked to Da Bears. :D 

Wilkes didn't even come in. They talked on the phone.

While Jay may have some input on coaches- ie DC - It's Bruce that's hiring them with final say. That said, I can see Gregg wanting his own guys on the Defensive side.

6 minutes ago, TK said:

While Jay may have some input on coaches- ie DC - It's Bruce that's hiring them with final say. That said, I can see Gregg wanting his own guys on the Defensive side.

This is not OK. This can't be a practice held by other organizations. Why wouldn't the HC have final say over his staff? Did Bruce hire Barry?

The only thing we know for sure is no othe organization does things the way the Redskins have done it under Snyder and Bruce.

Which is a real surprise considering all the success the Skins have had this past decade. Crazy that the rest of the league isn’t taking notes. I mean, does anyone else even have a harvest fest?

17 minutes ago, TK said:

When Gibbs retired, Gregg, like any other candidate had to interview for the HC job. Where Gregg went wrong in the interview was he talked about what he had done. He didn't touch on what he would do for the future. That's it right there in a nutshell as to why Gregg didn't get the gig, no vision for the future, just qualifications from the past.

Doug only talked to Bowles because they knew he was headed to Tampa. Though personally with the D that Chicago has, he shoulda talked to Da Bears. :D 

Boom there it is.. exactly what I've been trying to say..thanks TK!

5 minutes ago, Hooper said:

The only thing we know for sure is no othe organization does things the way the Redskins have done it under Snyder and Bruce.

Which is a real surprise considering all the success the Skins have had this past decade. Crazy that the rest of the league isn’t taking notes. I mean, does anyone else even have a harvest fest?

You shall rue the day you mocked the harvest fest... 

Always the media focuses on disfunction and domestic violence and empty stadiums and ousted employees and untrustworthy Ness and less than winning record.... NEVER ABOUT THE HARVEST FEST... I MEAN C'MON...!!!!... SUPERBOWL RINGZ PAH!!!! WE ARE AFTER BLUE RIBONS 

3 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

I agree.

On a side note, this franchise is a complete embarrassment. We can't do a single goddamn thing right. We're interviewing/looking for replacements for a coaching staff that still employs the existing coaches. Who the hell does that? If I were these coaches, I'd resign and tell Snyder and Bruce to go **** themselves.

Maybe a management group who is worried they will not be able to find a coach desperate enough to join this dumpster fire and worried that if they fire what they have they might end up with Jim Zorn coaching the defense.  Not like it has not happened to these losers before.

So I learn from reading this thread that we lost probably the best coach on the staff (kotwica) (if you measure by results).  Sounds about right for this franchise.  And please spare us all by telling us our best coach is Callahan.  His results here are very unimpressive.   

Just listened to Finlay's podcast

Some of his points.

A. One source told him they have a meeting scheduled, another said not yet but they want one. So he is not sure with Gregg.

B. They are hotly interested in Gregg.

C. Like some of us speculate here, would Gregg really want to come and is he just using the Redskins desperation for leverage elsewhere.

D. If he bet on this, he think Gregg ends up here and they work out a deal.

E. Like I and others speculated, Gregg might see Jay's potential lame duck status as an incentive to come, might be good set up for HC.

F. Manusky is under contract so he has to stay unless he quits. They dont want to strike out at finding an upgrade and not have Manusky as fall back.

G. He senses them prodding the situation with Wilks and Bowles is an effort to see if they even had a decent chance to land them. Gun shy about making an offer and getting rejected.

How long before Redskin fans just start coming to games (if they even come at all) with Bags over their heads?  This organization (gosh that seems weird to say because they certainly aren't organized) is a complete an utter embarrassment. They interview guys to fill coaching vacancies before there is actually a vacancy. That is CLASSLESS!!  Of course no one wants to come here. We are laughed at by the entire league. But our genius owner Dan Snyder, instead of being able to recognize the giant iceberg straight ahead and changing course, instead is going to slam straight into it. Bruce Allen, who would have been fired by any other franchise years ago, instead gets promoted. Are you freaking kidding me?  We have a Head coach who probably should have been fired who's running around in every interview telling everyone how close we are. Close to what??? Running over the side of a cliff?  Seriously???   20 + years of ownership for Snyder and we are still in the place where no one wants to come here except the Jim Zorn's of the world, and I doubt we could even get him to join this joke of a team these days. 

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just listened to Finlay's podcast

Some of his points.

A. One source told him they have a meeting scheduled, another said not yet but they want one. So he is not sure with Gregg.

B. They are hotly interested in Gregg.

C. Like some of us speculate here, would Gregg really want to come and is he just using the Redskins desperation for leverage elsewhere.

D. If he bet on this, he think Gregg ends up here and they work out a deal.

E. Like I and others speculated, Gregg might see Jay's potential lame duck status as an incentive to come, might be good set up for HC.

F. Manusky is under contract so he has to stay unless he quits. They dont want to strike out at finding an upgrade and not have Manusky as fall back.

G. He senses them prodding the situation with Wilks and Bowles is an effort to see if they even had a decent chance to land them. Gun shy about making an offer and getting rejected.

Williams would be the best hire since JGII but I just don't see it happening.  Hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, TK said:

This post just needs to be repeated lol...i feel like if TK is saying he needs to set some of the stuff straight, it's gotta hold merit.

I'm curious if any beat writers are gonna start tweeting some of TK's post now lol...

1 hour ago, TK said:

A.  So Bruce does the assistant coaches

B.  According to some, Bruce tells Jay sometimes who to play

C. Bruce does challenges during the game

D. Bruce is in charge of personnel

E.  Bruce makes the trades

F. Bruce actually even sometimes goes to owner meetings representing Dan without Dan even being there

G.  Bruce in charge of both football and business operations

H.  He's the key Alumni organizer

I. Heck he's even in charge of the uniforms

J. Bruce seems in charge of the stadium

Is there anything Bruce doesn't know?  Beat guys say they hear in the building Bruce struts around like his crap doesn't stink but hasn't he earned that -- he's the be all and end all over there -- the Redskins Park Bo Jackson.  No wonder people like Liz Clark say they hear that Bruce tells people he's living the dream.   😉

15 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Because I just found the right picture of Torrian Gray.

You know Terry Crews played here, right? :) 

article-2637441-1E2404B600000578-555_634

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Is there anything Bruce doesn't know?  

Where Waldo is. :ols: 

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Williams would be the best hire since JGII but I just don't see it happening.  Hope I'm wrong.

Agree.  I am a big Gregg guy. 

I am more optimistic about it happening after listening to Finley.  My pessimism is driven by even if I can see one side go for it, I can see it the other side not.  I can see reasons for both sides being half hearted about it.   

Finlay seems convinced the Redskins side is interested.   And while I can believe that -- is it going to be the Bruce Allen era "special" offer -- where the money is not hot and he goes dude you have to inherit all the assistants here or we are chasing the assistants for you like what happened for the Zorn era.  In other words, I can see them screwing this up even under the best intentions.  But will see.  

To show a different era. Here's what was said when Gregg was extended.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/03/AR2006010300765.html

The Washington Redskins signed Gregg Williams, their assistant head coach-defense, to a three-year contract extension yesterday, giving him a salary double that of some NFL head coaches. Williams, a hotly pursued head coaching candidate, took himself out of consideration for any opening this offseason. He has one year remaining on his existing three-year deal and now is signed through the 2009 season, but Coach Joe Gibbs said there is no language in the contract preventing him from departing.

"This contract is strictly a friendly deal between [owner Dan Snyder] and Gregg," Gibbs said, "and basically what it says is it's just an agreement to this contract, and Gregg on his own this year just said he's taking himself out of consideration for any of these jobs, and he's free [to leave] at any time. It doesn't say anything in the contract like that. It's strictly up to him in the future what he wants to do."

Williams, who was making in excess of $1 million a season, could earn upward of $8 million total with this extension, according to reports...

Snyder badly wanted to keep the defensive guru from leaving. Gibbs, who is in the second year of a five-year deal, hired Williams shortly after he took over as the team's coach and president in 2004...

...Since his defense rose to the NFL elite from humble 2004 expectations, Williams has deflected much credit to Gibbs and maintained a low profile, speaking to the media only once a week during the season and rarely during the offseason. He was sensitive about the slower progress of Gibbs's offense and worked behind the scenes to foster unity among the two units and play down the difference in production, team sources said. Williams did not meet with the media yesterday, speaking only on the team's Web site.

"It's awful nice to see the respect both Dan and Joe Gibbs gave me in this new contract," Williams said. "We needed to get this thing out of the way right now so there's no distractions. We've got to be focused on Tampa Bay." Williams reiterated yesterday that he still wants to be a head coach, but that it won't happen next season. "I'm a Redskin, and that's what I agreed to do," he said.

He turned down two interviews for head coaching positions after the 2004 season and campaigned hard to keep his core of highly respected assistants from departing for other opportunities. Thus, after constant coaching overhauls during the first six seasons of Snyder's ownership, the front office is now dedicated to continuity on this staff, with Williams a focal point.

"We're excited, because I think this is the first step in us kind of keeping everybody together," Gibbs said. "That's our goal: keep everybody together, players and coaches."

Other assistants -- such as defensive coordinator Greg Blache and linebackers coach Dale Lindsey -- could be sought for higher positions elsewhere (Lindsey said he is unaware of any interest in him), and Snyder is expected to do whatever possible to keep them. There is no salary cap for coaches, and Snyder has set precedents in that regard several times since taking over the franchise in 1999, sometimes drawing the ire of other owners.

8. The Jets’ deal with Gregg Williams isn’t done, and several other teams are keeping an eye on that. Williams is in a position of power, because the other two names that the team was considering (Vance Joseph and Chuck Pagano) are off the table. So … stay tuned.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/14/nfl-updates-news-kyler-murray-draft-scouts-reports-sheldon-rankins-sean-mcvay-rob-gronkowski?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sinow&utm_source=twitter.com&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Archived