Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HH: Coach Speculation Publication: STs Kaczor; DBs Horton; TEs Angelichio; ILBs Rob Ryan; OC OConnell; QBs Rattay; Tomsula $$$

Malapropismic Depository

3 hours ago, bh32 said:

If GW were brought in as DC,would that mean the Redskins would be switching to the 43 defense?

As if that actually means something in today's NFL.    The Chargers actually run a 3-4 but everyone calls it a 4-3.  If anything it is really a 4-4 but I digress. 

If you like labels, Williams come from the 46 tree, which our personnel would work pretty well with, especially if Smith leaves.

I think Williams is being looked at more in a Assistant Head Coach-Defense role with Manusky still DC. 

The door is now opening for Gregg Williams.  For those that have said he and Snyder do not get along maybe we have read way to much into it.  It's been a few years but i do remember reading that Snyder and Williams relationship has been repaired.  This comes from 2013 when the redskins took Gruden over Williams

https://fansided.com/2013/12/30/rumor-g ... ead-coach/
Fred Smoot
@Fsmoot21SeanT
I just spoke with Greg Williams and he is very interested in the Redskins Head Coaching job.....I think Greg could help Redskins Nation...

7:22 PM - Dec 30, 2013

So why isn't Gregg Cleveland's head coach?
He just pulled them up to actual respectability and their players seemingly will run through a wall for him..    yet they never even considered keeping him. Didn't even bother. No for some hotshot coach with a huge pedigree..   but for their own QBs coach with no experience at all.

So why do we get SO excited for the chance to make another move that would COMPLETLY seem to be a reckless gamble? The one thing Williams seems to do consistently is look for a new job.

~Bang

23 minutes ago, Bang said:

He just pulled them up to actual respectability and their players seemingly will run through a wall for him..    yet they never even considered keeping him. Didn't even bother. No for some hotshot coach with a huge pedigree..   but for their own QBs coach with no experience at all.

So why do we get SO excited for the chance to make another move that would COMPLETLY seem to be a reckless gamble? The one thing Williams seems to do consistently is look for a new job.

~Bang

Good point.  I think it is already fairly well known around the league he tends to rub management the wrong way, possibly by disagreeing with his peers/colleagues, we don't know.  BUT he gets players to play for him.   To buy into his belief system. He inspires them.  It is a risk/reward and I think the reward side outweighs his less then charming personality.  

The issue is can he coexist with Bruce?   That is the problem here IMO.   I think it could possibly be the Scot McCloughan debacle all over again, perhaps minus the alcohol.  But it is still a potentially explosive situation.  

22 minutes ago, Bang said:

~Bang

Because they wanted to go with the OC who made Mayfield shine.

6 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

Good point.  I think it is already fairly well known around the league he tends to rub management the wrong way, possibly by disagreeing with his peers/colleagues, we don't know.  BUT he gets players to play for him.   To buy into his belief system. He inspires them.  It is a risk/reward and I think the reward side outweighs his less then charming personality.  

The issue is can he coexist with Bruce?   That is the problem here IMO.   I think it could possibly be the Scot McCloughan debacle all over again, perhaps minus the alcohol.  But it is still a potentially explosive situation.  

i think if the first part is true, that he rubs management the wrong way.. which i tend to agree with... then the second part is a recipe for disaster.

Bruce cant coexist with anyone, it seems. Much less a guy who will rub him the wrong way.

This whole thing smells funny

~Bang

6 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Because they wanted to go with the OC who made Mayfield shine.

Like they couldn't have had him as OC still? 

I don't see any paths being burnt to their door for Freddie Kitchens. 

fact is, they could have had both, kept it exactly the same. It seemed to be working. But they didn't want to keep Williams. I doubt the reason is they were worried about losing Kitchens.

the one solace I have here is that this is the Browns, and they are just as known for shooting themselves in the foot as we are.

Now we'll find out if they are smarter than us, i guess.

Any bets?

~Bang

7 minutes ago, Bang said:

i think if the first part is true, that he rubs management the wrong way.. which i tend to agree with... then the second part is a recipe for disaster.

Bruce cant coexist with anyone, it seems. Much less a guy who will rub him the wrong way.

This whole thing smells funny

~Bang

Like they couldn't have had him as OC still? 

I don't see any paths being burnt to their door for Freddie Kitchens. 

fact is, they could have had both, kept it exactly the same. It seemed to be working. But they didn't want to keep Williams. I doubt the reason is they were worried about losing Kitchens.

the one solace I have here is that this is the Browns, and they are just as known for shooting themselves in the foot as we are.

Now we'll find out if they are smarter than us, i guess.

Any bets?

~Bang

You are off base regarding what the interest level would have been for Kitchens. I think you would've seen the Cardinals, Packers and Bengals all go after Kitchens had he hit the market

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

Absolutely. I may not be "happy" still as a fan, but I'd be intrigued. It would be a scenario where, if Bruce Allen can keep his head on the business ops side and merely help with negotiations on contracts and scout organization (because I think the team has been doing fairly well in the draft), it could be a phenomenal move for the Skins.

I just have my reservations about the Allen part of that whole thing.

I have a different take...You see Bruce picking up Foster because in his mind its an upgrade to the fielded team so screw the PR, then you have Gregg who puts bounties on opposing players and gets into people/Players faces so screw the PR... THEY MAY BE IDEOLOGICALLY the SAME and be compatible. Both have been screwed by the NFL/Press.

It might work...

I may be in the minority..but Gregg's Saints Bounty Program showed he motivated his players to play harder (within the rules of course) and his caustic attitude is just what this team/culture needs after such laissez-faire

I remember that game JSteelz is talking about. It was pregame when we played the Rams. Snyder and Gregg were on the field talking. The team president saw that and moved with a quickness across that field because he just had to know what was being said. Hell, I think he moved faster than most of our LBs!

39 minutes ago, Bang said:

~Bang

This is a good point and something I've thought about as well.

On 1/14/2019 at 12:57 PM, method man said:

You are off base regarding what the interest level would have been for Kitchens. I think you would've seen the Cardinals, Packers and Bengals all go after Kitchens had he hit the market

I think he is a good OC but as a HC?  For varying the schemes etc. to get the best out of a young QB?  It remains to be seen if he is going to transition from OC to HC and be effective. You have to bring all the parts together to be a good HC.  McVay has done it but typically most of these guy who become HC are better suited as OC's. 

2 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

I remember that game JSteelz is talking about. It was pregame when we played the Rams. Snyder and Gregg were on the field talking. The team president saw that and moved with a quickness across that field because he just had to know what was being said. Hell, I think he moved faster than most of our LBs!

When we played the St Louis Rams in 2014? Or the LA Rams in 2017?

7 minutes ago, method man said:

this is a good point.. Ian Rapoport did say they blocked several interview requests, so they sort of had no choice, i imagine.

Still doesn't say much for Gregg. 

~Bang

7 minutes ago, method man said:

I don't think you should make your OC your head coach because you're afraid of losing your OC....I think you make your OC your head coach because he's shown that he has the necessary management tools, football knowledge, and work ethic to be successful in the NFL. 

3 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I don't think you should make your OC your head coach because you're afraid of losing your OC....I think you make your OC your head coach because he's shown that he has the necessary management tools, football knowledge, and work ethic to be successful in the NFL. 

They made their OC their HC because he made their 1st Round QB shine.  It's really that simple in today's NFL. 

19 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

If it's a recipe for disaster, I'd still take it. What's the worst that could happen? Allen gets fired? We replace Gregg with a coach accused of DV? The fans feel apathetic?

The worst that could happen is that we're good enough to be 8-8 with the occasional 9-7. 

Archived