Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HH: Coach Speculation Publication: STs Kaczor; DBs Horton; TEs Angelichio; ILBs Rob Ryan; OC OConnell; QBs Rattay; Tomsula $$$

Malapropismic Depository

I believe Gray was fired an hour ago, but I do not see a thread for it.

This would have been a surprise before the season, but after the season, not so surprising

Redskins Coaching News: Broncos DC Joe Woods targeted for DB Coach; Torrian Gray already fired ? Todd Bowles for DC ?

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/1/8/18174006/redskins-coaching-news-broncos-dc-joe-woods-targeted-for-db-coach-torrian-gray-already-fired

Mike Klis is reporting this morning that the Redskins have shown interest in Denver Broncos DC Joe Woods to become their new Defensive Backs Coach. That position has been held by Torrian Gray for the last two seasons, but he has reportedly been let go. Gray was highly touted when he came to the Redskins in 2017, but there have been communication (and other) problems in the secondary.

Not surprising. Secondary has played like absolute ass during his tenure, for whatever reason. A new voice and fresh eyes couldn't hurt. Manusky is the next one that needs to go.

Also, for the sake of all that is holy, ship Bruce Allen off to a frozen Siberian gulag.

25 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Not surprising. Secondary has played like absolute ass during his tenure, for whatever reason. A new voice and fresh eyes couldn't hurt. Manusky is the next one that needs to go.

Also, for the sake of all that is holy, ship Bruce Allen off to a frozen Siberian gulag.

I dunno. I have a weird feeling he's another one we let go. I think the problem is more at the top than the position coaches. Gray did a fine job developing Fuller, Moreau, Nicholson had a fantastic rookie year though he did backslide this year. Even Johnson and Stroman considering they were a 7th round rookie and a UDFA showed promise.

So, I don't think it was the teacher. I think it was the scheme.

9 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Maybe the reason he got fired is the fact the secondary was atrocious, just a crazy thought.

I, like most everyone else here, really have no idea how great of a coach he is or isn’t.  We’ve heard some nice things about him in the past, which was what prompted a lot of folks to gloss over the personnel loss at the position.  The way Jay and Manusky talked it was as if losing “Dunny” was losing Deion in his prime.  Add to that the loss of Fuller and Breeland in the offseason.  It wasn’t like he failed with great personnel.

I’m not shedding tears about his departure, it just seems like he’d be on the short list of guys to receive benefit of doubt given the personnel he was responsible for.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m not shedding tears about his departure, it just seems like he’d be on the short list of guys to receive benefit of doubt given the personnel he was responsible for.

I'm just guessing we keep the **** coaches and let the good ones get away...

He did a lot more than most of our coaches given what little resources he was afforded.  Arguably 2 of our better CBs were not retained in Fuller and Breeland.  Dunbar is a converted WR, Norman played WELL under his salary the first half of the season... Fabian flashed at times.  Johnson was undrafted, and Stroman is a 7th rounder, both played meaningful minutes.  

Just now, dyst said:

So are we going to hire new coordinators separately and then try and have them work together?

What? That's not how most teams do it? It'll work here! Bruce and Dan are the smartest guys in the room. Just ask them, they'll tell you all about it!

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

the "Redskins' way" this ends up ?

Wade Phillips retires, and Gray becomes McVay's new DC, and they dominate with a top defense.

They already have Aubrey Pleasant. Our assitant DB coach we let walk, who is now getting DC attention.

9 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

What? That's not how most teams do it? It'll work here! Bruce and Dan are the smartest guys in the room. Just ask them, they'll tell you all about it!

They already have Aubrey Pleasant. Our assitant DB coach we let walk, who is now getting DC attention.

Didn't we try and keep Aubrey but he left on his own for greener pastures?

and who names their son Aubrey anyway?  Turrible parenting.  I'd prefer Johnny Johnson like the old NFL RB.  LOL

I would love to get Bowles but I tend to believe in the narrative that Jay doesn't want anyone who has HC exp on his team that Danny could replace him with during a season.  I think that was the case with Wade Phillips and why he keeps crappy people around like Joe Barry, Haslett (yes he was a HC but past his prime and wasn't good), Manusky. Katowicka.  I could be wrong but Jay is a lot like Bruce in this way that he prefers his safety over the best solution for his job....which of course in the not for long league is counterproductive UNLESS you have ****e owners like Jerrah and Danny.

Archived