Sign in to follow this  
PeterMP

The Real Story Behind the Havana Embassy MysteryU.S. officials say dozens of diplomats in Cuba were felled by a sonic “attack.” But the likeliest culprit is far less futuristic—and much more terrifying.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/01/the-real-story-behind-the-havana-embassy-mystery

Long story short, it was most likely psychosomatic affects induced by stress followed by mass hysteria egged on by government officials, like Rubio.  The recorded noise appears to have been crickets that have are not known to cause any issues.

I was hoping this was the start of a comic book weapon type space race. Dashed are my hopes for x-ray glasses. Also, Rubio is an idiot. I fully expect Florida to elect him again .

I cant believe this is true.  So these crickets only target Americans?  The embassy is the only building in Cuba with this problem?

5 hours ago, justice98 said:

I cant believe this is true.  So these crickets only target Americans?  The embassy is the only building in Cuba with this problem?

The crickets don't actually cause any harm.  There is (likely) no actual problem with the Americans in Cuba.  It is all in their mind induced by stress, which then spread to other people due to mass hysteria.

On another note: Any chance Rubio will apologize to Cuba?

Edited by PeterMP

I'm not sure how convincing the argument "we couldn't find anything so it must be psychogenic" really is.  There are a lot of medical horror stories out there that start with that same argument.  It does seem unlikely that it's a weapon or attack of some sort though, which is good. 

17 minutes ago, Destino said:

I'm not sure how convincing the argument "we couldn't find anything so it must be psychogenic" really is.  There are a lot of medical horror stories out there that start with that same argument.  It does seem unlikely that it's a weapon or attack of some sort though, which is good. 

Two things I think get you beyond just we couldn't find anything:

1.   There's plenty of evidence of there being real fear.

2.  There are pretty large differences between the people, in terms of where they lived (the embassy vs. different hotels etc.) and their symptoms.  That's not how diseases/weapons work in general.  The same disease (or weapon) doesn't generally cause the range of effects that we've seen here.

It is possible that some people had something real , but the "spread" was psychogenic.  

We had an issue a couple of years ago in a teaching lab a couple of years ago.  Two people started to feel lightheaded in the lab.  Somebody came in and asked if other people were feeling feint.  Several people said they were.  They were all taken out in the hallway and allowed to sit down.  People in the lab next door asked what was happening.  Then people in that lab (doing a completely different lab and completely isolated in the ventilation system) started feeling faint.  They ended up evacuating the building.  Nothing was ever found in either of the labs or the building in general.

But it turns out that the two people initial had good medical reasons why they might start feeling faint.  One had a history of issues with low blood sugar and hadn't eaten anything that morning, and the other had started taking new medicine the day before of which dizziness was a common side effect.

They probably actually were feeling light headed, but then is spread to other people through mass hysteria.

Edited by PeterMP