Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith's deal means the Skins will not have cap space to sign even a mediocre placeholder QB like Bridgewater unless they gut other parts of the roster. We are in the bottom third of the league in cap space.  It would be pointless to blow any of our limited cap space on WRs when we have no one capable of consistently delivering them the ball.  This means surrendering any bidding war for Crowder, and probably cutting Vernon Davis. No one-year rentals unless they're on the cheap. We are not one, or even five players away.  Besides QB, neither of our tackles can be relied upon to stay healthy (I put the over/under on Trent Williams at 6 games for 2019), our pass rush is mediocre, safety and inside linebackers have been a disaster, and I can't even remember the last time we had a good left guard.  Guice may be cleared to play in 2019, but most players don't regain speed from an ACL until their second year back.  What we have is the makings of a 3-13 team. The future is manifestly not now.  Now must instead be about the future.

Unfortunately, Gruden and Allen won't want to bite the bullet for a better 2020 or beyond, knowing that a failed season would hasten their removal long before the benefits of any austerity program can be realized.  It's possible Gruden may be enamored enough with his Todd Collins...er...Colt McCoy that the team won't pay through the nose for Teddy, Flacco or Fitz, but... something tells me Danny will insist on finding our own Amari Cooper, and we will overpay for someone who will become a malcontent because there's no one to throw to him after Colt goes on IR around game 4.

Our best shot for approaching .500 (which is an overly optimistic projection) without damaging future seasons is probably following Baltimore's late season template - beef up the defense as much as possible, and just hand the ball off. Painfully boring, painfully predictable, and predictably painful. But, is it worth sapping cap more cap space from future years just to get to 6-10 or maybe another 7-9 instead of 4-12?

We must go BPA in the draft, but our biggest needs are Edge Rush, safety, and the left side of the OL.  FA signings should be limited to role players and depth. If the BPA at 15 (or spot iirc) is an OG or LT, take him...even if it makes Gruden apoplectic. If the BPA for us in both the first and second rounds are edge rushers, take them both. No whining about why didn't we take a QB or WR or LG or FS or ILB or whatever if the BPA was not a position of need. No one player, let alone a rookie, is going to be the missing piece.  Settle was a great pick, but NT stopped being a need position after we grabbed Payne. This is the kind of foresight to which we must continue to adhere, even if it frustrates whatever fans have not yet succumbed to apathy. No restructuring of contracts to push a cap squeeze on to future years. Take our medicine now.

I agree almost entirely, except that 1 or 2 players at the right position can most definitely make us a competitive playoff team. The skill gap across teams in the NFL is not at high as people think. Good coaching and a good qb make all the difference and we have neither for next year. 

Putting bandaids on the wound via high priced free agents/wasted draft picks will only hamper future efforts, and the odds are very much against us that we will find the couple players needed to make us competitive in the offseason. 

The Alex Smith experiment is already over and we have failed. Starting damage control now will give us a really big leg up until we finally get free from that contract. 

If we want to build a CONSISTENT winner here again, we must draft, draft and draft some more.  

We have started doing just that the past few seasons...not just hitting on top picks but finding later picks that develop and contribute MEANINGFUL minutes.

we did not draft a lot over the past decade or so and even when we did, we didn’t hit on much.  Failed bandaid FA experiments have tied up money.  

Ike the OP says...let’s take our meds.  

I dont care care if tony banks is our QB next year.  We use 2019 to continue the churn, hope we continue to hit on multiple picks and continue to develop whatever id Jay is working.  

2020...we get our qb.  Time to take the meds we’ve been avoiding for years.  

Draft Draft Draft...then Draft some more.  If we’re not doing this, we’re wrong...imo  

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

We must go BPA in the draft, but our biggest needs are Edge Rush, safety, and the left side of the OL.  FA signings should be limited to role players and depth. If the BPA at 15 (or spot iirc) is an OG or LT, take him...even if it makes Gruden apoplectic. If the BPA for us in both the first and second rounds are edge rushers, take them both. No whining about why didn't we take a QB or WR or LG or FS or ILB or whatever if the BPA was not a position of need. No one player, let alone a rookie, is going to be the missing piece.  Settle was a great pick, but NT stopped being a need position after we grabbed Payne. This is the kind of foresight to which we must continue to adhere, even if it frustrates whatever fans have not yet succumbed to apathy. No restructuring of contracts to push a cap squeeze on to future years. Take our medicine now.

Can I had that we start focusing on healthy guys?

That would help a lot to have decent and good players that are on the field, and not on the injured reserve.

Agree with the OP's BPA approach in first round of draft.

Looking at what's likely to be available at pick 15, it's unlikely there will be a safety available.  There will be an edge rusher there and that would be my pick.  That being said, I do have a slightly out of the box suggestion for that pick.  As the OP states, Trent's never healthy and getting older.  If one of the 2 top OL are available, I wouldn't hesitate to make that pick.  If so, I'd consider moving Trent to LG and thus potentially extending his career and simultaneously strengthening the OL.

Trim the fat off the roster. Take the cap hits, however painful that may be and suck it up. Draft BPA, each round. Trade back if you can for additional picks in later rounds and some next year. 

Do the best we can with our mediocre coaching and pray for the best. 

In other words, #TankForTua and #CleanHouse. No Allen and No Gruden and coaching staff.

2 hours ago, sportjunkie07 said:

I agree almost entirely, except that 1 or 2 players at the right position can most definitely make us a competitive playoff team. The skill gap across teams in the NFL is not at high as people think. Good coaching and a good qb make all the difference and we have neither for next year. 

I agree.  I really feel like the defense is pretty good though.  Still don't like losing Swearinger.  I think bringing in Dix hurt his play.   We could use an edge rusher and better coaching and we'll be fine there.

Offense is another story.:(

46 minutes ago, ksun247 said:

Trim the fat off the roster. Take the cap hits, however painful that may be and suck it up. Draft BPA, each round. Trade back if you can for additional picks in later rounds and some next year. 

Do the best we can with our mediocre coaching and pray for the best. 

In other words, #TankForTua and #CleanHouse. No Allen and No Gruden and coaching staff.

Trading back into the lower rounds only works if you trust your scouting department. 

I would start trading seconds each year for someone's first the following year.  Didn't Beathard used to do that?  Run that for a few years and even Bruce can't screw that up. 

41 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Beathard often traded the following year's 1st rounder for a second rounder in the current year if there was a player he wanted. He only drafted in the 1st 3 times - and used those picks on Art Monk, Darrell Green, and Mark May...2 HOFers and a Hog.

Sorry that **** won't work anymore.  

I’m hopeful that Allen steps back and they bring in a GM.  If that happens, I think there’s at least a better chance we don’t go into the offseason in win now mode.  

We’re almost certainly not going to drop guys like Trent and Kerrigan though.  I doubt we move on from Norman.  Hopeful we drop Brown and Davis and let Smith and Crowder walk (have my doubts about the latter though).  

Although it’s more of a short term thing, I’d bring back AP.  Sign a starting caliber safety and extend Ioannidas.  

My preference - either draft Grier or a qb in the 3rd.  If the latter, they backup McCoy and when he gets injured, the rookie comes in and takes their lumps while gaining experience (followed by us taking a qb early in 2020 and this year’s rook taking over McCoy’s backup role).  If the former, you (hopefully) haven’t traded picks and have the chance to add some good pieces the next two drafts - with a focus on adding speed (receiver and on defense) and beef to the oline.  

33 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I’m hopeful that Allen steps back and they bring in a GM.  If that happens, I think there’s at least a better chance we don’t go into the offseason in win now mode.  

We’re almost certainly not going to drop guys like Trent and Kerrigan though.  I doubt we move on from Norman.  Hopeful we drop Brown and Davis and let Smith and Crowder walk (have my doubts about the latter though).  

This year will be a strong test of our young talent. Our question mark and $$$ at QB will dictate that some tough choices will have to be made. Unlike many of our gaping roster holes, we are fortunate that Crowders possible replacement is already here. (Crowders money will need to be spent addressing holes where we do not have that luxury of up and (hopefully coming) depth. We need a FA SS, and Crowders cost may come close to buying a Collins

Nuts to the so-called BPA approach the Skins need to draft OL with their 1st 3 picks.  They need to pick an OT and then 2 OG/C.  The OL has been weak for years and injury prone the last two years and it is long past time to address these needs.  In 2020 the QB picture will be clearer and if needed the Skins can pick a QB and a couple of WRs with their first 3 picks to play behind a stronger OL.

Archived