Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Switching to a 4-3 in 2019

Hal2856

I have read and heard a few people say we should switch to a 4-3 because our roster better lines up for it, but I’m not sure I see it and I’m curious what others see.

We’ve been drafting for 3-4 and have three studs on the defensive line. Ionnidis, Allen, Payne. How would we use all three in a 4-3? Also what do you do with Settle? Would we

move Kerrigan to DE? Seems we really just need another Edge Rusher. 

Anyway, I’m curious for clearer picture on a 4-3 switch because mostly I think we have a front seven made for 3-4. And back ups as well. 

Yeah my biggest question about the 4-3 is what happens at OLB. 

Id assume Kerrigan mines up as a rush end. You probably move Ioniddis and Payne to DT with Settle backing up and you move Allen to DE opposite Kerrigan. Preston Smith May be a rush end on passing downs kicking Allen inside but idk what his fit would be as an OLB.

im not sure it happens. We are finally good at NT after running 3-4 without one. Now we have 2 and some people seem to think we aren’t a 3-4. Idk

If we didn't have Payne, I'd consider it.  We finally have the piece to have a quality 3-4, and frankly, when done correctly, you want to be able to do a 3-4 and a 4-3 instead of only the personell to do a 4-3.  That's what got the patriots 3 superbowls if 4 years.

I always felt besides NT (up to last season) our weakness was choosing to use a 3-4  with two primary pass rushers at OLB, which means any time we were in our base we were employing a guy who was weaker in coverage

with a 4-3 I'd use this set up right now- Kerrigan, Payne, Ionnaddis, Allen, Anderson, Hamilton, and Reuben Foster

11 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Id assume Kerrigan mines up as a rush end. You probably move Ioniddis and Payne to DT with Settle backing up and you move Allen to DE opposite Kerrigan. Preston Smith May be a rush end on passing downs kicking Allen inside but idk what his fit would be as an OLB.

im not sure it happens. We are finally good at NT after running 3-4 without one. Now we have 2 and some people seem to think we aren’t a 3-4. Idk

Smith is gone via free agency and  you don't look to replace that skillset

19 minutes ago, carex said:

I always felt besides NT (up to last season) our weakness was choosing to use a 3-4  with two primary pass rushers at OLB, which means any time we were in our base we were employing a guy who was weaker in coverage

This is my feeling. We need a more athletic, versatile OLB opposite Kerrigan.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

We don't run a 3-4.

Payne isn't really a nose.

We play a lot of nickel/4-2-5. I'm not even sure I recall seeing us in a true 3-4 this year.

if you saw Ionnaddis, Allen and Payne on the field at the same time, I'd say we were in a 3-4, and I'm pretty sure I saw them a few times

Just now, carex said:

if you saw Ionnaddis, Allen and Payne on the field at the same time, I'd say we were in a 3-4, and I'm pretty sure I saw them a few times

Kerrigan was on the DL with his hand in the dirt.

And Payne was never really head up on the center in a 0... not even sure I saw him in many shades without a 3-tech opposite him. But to be honest I tuned out a lot this year so maybe I missed it.

11 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

You would just let Smith walk in that scenario.  

Reuben Foster struggled with the 4-3 in San Fran.  He may perform better with the same type of defense he ran at Alabama.  Let's go with the strength of the players.  I've Lavar say he would have been a Hall of Famer if he the Skins ran a 3-4 defense and played the edge.  

1 hour ago, hogdirty said:

Reuben Foster struggled with the 4-3 in San Fran.  He may perform better with the same type of defense he ran at Alabama.  Let's go with the strength of the players.  I've Lavar say he would have been a Hall of Famer if he the Skins ran a 3-4 defense and played the edge.  

Yes! This! Always felt Lavar was misused. Which is why we should t switch back to a 4/3. So many in our defense would be in the wrong scheme. Allen as a 4/3 end would be just as woeful. 

Take whatever Lavar says with a grain of salt.  He ****ed and moaned in the media when Marvin Lewis made him play in a 3 pt stance and oddly enough he had the most sacks in a single season for his career.  Now he boasts about that season sack number when talking about how great he was and coulda been one of the greats if not for injuries.   Pound Sand Diva!!!    :)

Lavar had the IQ of a grapefruit and a head the size of a watermelon. His entire legend is based off of 2 plays - ending Aikman's career, and the interception against Carolina that ended the 5 game losing streak. What gets overlooked is how many plays he was out of position, and how he let a backup FB named Jim Finn wide open on a play that tanked the 2003 season.

This is the same genius who insisted he was supposed to get 2 signing bonuses the exact same year for the exact same amount, because he didn't understand the clause about a roster bonus that the team had an option to convert over to a signing bonus (done to spread the cap hit).

2 hours ago, hogdirty said:

53 minutes ago, Hal2856 said:

Yes! This! Always felt Lavar was misused. Which is why we should t switch back to a 4/3. So many in our defense would be in the wrong scheme. Allen as a 4/3 end would be just as woeful. 

he's only played sixteen games total in his career.  And if Allen would struggle as a 4-3 end maybe Ionnadis would farte better.

The goal here is to maximize prodiction and time played of the guys we have so we have to do less searching

Same argument every year. People are still basically on the same sides. This is the first year, however, since we switched that a "go 4-3" argument makes no sense.

Rarely, have we played a straight 3-4 for the majority of snaps.  This is the first season we have come close to having a 3 down NT.  Both Foster and Hamilton look and play more like 3-4 inside backers.

48 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Lavar had the IQ of a grapefruit and a head the size of a watermelon. His entire legend is based off of 2 plays - ending Aikman's career, and the interception against Carolina that ended the 5 game losing streak. What gets overlooked is how many plays he was out of position, and how he let a backup FB named Jim Finn wide open on a play that tanked the 2003 season.

This is the same genius who insisted he was supposed to get 2 signing bonuses the exact same year for the exact same amount, because he didn't understand the clause about a roster bonus that the team had an option to convert over to a signing bonus (done to spread the cap hit).

I will not comment on the man's IQ, but if you feel the rest to be true than how can you argue they were playing him out of position? If he was in a 3-4 he would just rush must of the time like Karrigan. Would you have Von Miller trying to cover backs and te's?

1 minute ago, hogdirty said:

I will not comment on the man's IQ, but if you feel the rest to be true than how can you argue they were playing him out of position? If he was in a 3-4 he would just rush must of the time like Karrigan. Would you have Von Miller trying to cover backs and te's?

I don't know anything about Arrington at Penn State, even what their base formation was, but I get the feeling from things I heard that he was allowed to freelance in college.  Meanwhile a lot of the defensive coaches he had in the NFL were like, "this is your job, you do this."

Also I think Riggo-toni meant he ended up not being where he was supposed to be, not the Skins were playing him out of position

34 minutes ago, carex said:

he's only played sixteen games total in his career.  And if Allen would struggle as a 4-3 end maybe Ionnadis would farte better.

The goal here is to maximize prodiction and time played of the guys we have so we have to do less searching

These two would be DTs if we switched to 4-3. They move to DT in nickle and you can add Payne with 3 down lineman in base defense so how are maximizing their production? A 3-4 keeps big boys in most of the game.

1 minute ago, hogdirty said:

These two would be DTs if we switched to 4-3. They move to DT in nickle and you can add Payne with 3 down lineman in base defense so how are maximizing their production? A 3-4 keeps big boys in most of the game.

not for us, we're barely ever in the base 3-4 and when we got to nickel we put Kerrigan and Smith or whoever is the other LB at ends, meaning Ionaddis, Payne or Allen come out

Archived