Braxford

Taking Action To Make Redskins Park Listen

If you have not yet read or seen Scott Van Pelt's One Big Thing about the Redskins on 12/31/18, here is the link to a  Washington Post article about it https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/01/01/scott-van-pelt-redskins-is-anyone-redskins-park-listening/?utm_term=.84d3503cbb34

I remember a few years ago when on this site, there was an effort to turn in " fanhood" cards to Redskins Park. I do not know how much good it did to change the Redskins organization for the better or not. Either way it is debatable. Still, it was something that the fans did that did that voiced their displeasure, and it was an easy thing to do. If you as a Redskins fan want to make your voice heard or at least try to. I propose the following. Tweet this article at least once a day to the Redskins, national media, and DC media. Do this until the Super Bowl is over. In addition to tweeting the article you could post a message of your own. You could even just write that you are a Redskins fan and you agree with the article and mention your indifference or your Redskins fan story. Maybe those in charge at Redskins Park will listen and act for the betterment of the Redskins organization, maybe not. At least this is something we can do as fans to voice our displeasure at the state of the franchise. HTTR Forever!

Text of the article will be pasted below.

Scott Van Pelt on the Redskins: ‘Is anyone at Redskins Park listening?

The Redskins spent the final few days of 2018 soaking in an acrid stew of criticism: From fans, from sports radio hosts, from the New York Times, from The Washington Post, and from just about anyone who spent any time thinking about the Redskins in the final few days of 2018.

The onslaught may have been unexpected — only two months ago, the Redskins were in first place and favored to win the NFC East, and the franchise seemed to have made at least a small step or two in the right direction. That’s all been forgotten now. And with just minutes to go before 2019, the team took one final broadside, which may have been among the most powerful of the week, if anyone was listening. Because it came from ESPN’s Scott Van Pelt, a longtime Washingtonian who speaks for D.C. fans as well as just about anyone, and with a national pulpit. He did not pull his punches.

“Erosion can happen slowly, be difficult to decipher,” he said late Monday night. “But if Sunday wasn’t a wake-up call to Dan Snyder, then they are guilty of organizational negligence. The stadium, which was in the bottom third in attendance this season, was completely overrun by Philadelphia Eagles fans. A division rival trying to make the playoffs, and they had a home game — in your stadium. Folks who remember the ’70s and ’80s and ’90s — hell, people who remember 10 years ago — just imagine the thought of the Eagles fans taking over RFK or even FedEx Field. It’s unthinkable.

“But if they didn’t take it over, the stadium would have been empty,” Van Pelt went on. “I don’t know a single person from back home who would have gone Sunday if you paid them to go. Actually, you know what? That’s not true. My boy Sacco and his kids went. They’re Eagles fans. The stadium experience is miserable, insufferable drunks, the lousy product for decades. And what’s equally hard for me to fathom: Somehow, ownership is blindsided by the fact that fans are done.”

[Jerry Brewer: The Redskins keep telling us they're close. To what?]

Van Pelt then told of running into some Redskins executives last winter at the Super Bowl in Minneapolis. He was, he told his national audience, “blown away by their arrogance."

“They still carry themselves like their brand is royalty,” Van Pelt said. “You’re like Sears: something that once was. In what make-believe space do you exist where you convince yourself of some alternate reality?"

Van Pelt then recommended The Post’s Sunday A1 story by Liz Clarke, Les Carpenter and Mark Maske, a deep look at the problems facing the franchise this offseason. Van Pelt focused on a fan named Stephen Collins, who was quoted in the story.

Collins is 55, a Redskins fan from birth, whose grandparents purchased three season tickets — two for them, one for Stephen’s father — after then-D.C. Stadium opened in the early 1960s. After his grandparents moved to Florida, Stephen and his sister joined their father at home games. After his father retired and moved to Florida, Stephen began taking his young daughters. As with so many other local families, those silly Redskins tickets tied generations of his family together.

Stephen moved to Florida himself in 2003, but he kept the tickets “because you just did not give up valuable Redskins season tickets.” So he would fly home for a few games each fall and sell the rest to friends. But he hated the experience at FedEx Field, and after his friends stopped wanting the tickets either, he gave up the seats about a decade ago, a bit shy of his family’s half-century anniversary.

He also grew up a Caps fan — his dad had a second job at the Cap Centre — and he’s gone to see the hockey team practice in South Florida, gotten a photo with Alex Ovechkin, celebrated “a joyous spring and summer” with that team. The Caps still link him to his childhood, and his hometown. And the Redskins?

[A once-proud franchise, the Redskins are showing signs of foundational cracks]

“My emotions during the Snyder era have run from anger to hope and back to anger. Then disbelief. The crazy part now is that I feel indifference,” Collins wrote, in an email quoted by Van Pelt. “Indifference to the team that was a huge part of my life growing up. I was as passionate as they come. And maybe that’s what is needed. While the Redskins are doing big things, whether terrific or stupid but mostly stupid, they are in the news and in the conversation. If people stop caring, that may be the biggest shake up of all. Maybe create some real change. Anger isn’t cutting it because the organization probably believes that no matter how mad they make us today, we will love them tomorrow. Indifference can be powerful and much harder to overcome. I’m there. I’m not hopeful. I’m not mad. It’s easier to stop caring and move on.”

Van Pelt showed some of that message on the screen, and then went on.

“I know so many fans who have moved on, so many who share wonderful memories of what the Redskins were, who have become numb to what we no longer feel at all,” he said. “Is anyone at Redskins Park listening? Does anyone there even care? Or are you as indifferent as the people who used to fill your stadium as if it were their civic duty, who have been replaced by the fans of the road team who took over the joint — a team who’s going to the playoffs, the team that won the Super Bowl last year.

“Remember what that was like?” he concluded, with a shake of his head. “Yeah. Me either.”

This was just moments before midnight, moments before the new year, but his message found an audience of Redskins fans who shared his pain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The best action you can take is not showing up to practices/games, not buying Skins gear, and not tuning into to any broadcasts Redskins related.  Indifference is king. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I agree, I have not bought any Redskins gear in years. I will watch if they are on local tv, but do not go out anymore or out of my way to watch them. I just think this is an easy way that fans can take advantage of something in the media to voice our displeasure and gain more attention to the incompetence of the Redskins front office.

Not going to the games and not buying gear will definitely have an impact, but that's a longer term plan.  For the short term, I think an effective strategy could be to interfere with what Danny boy wants the most: a new stadium in DC.  Start a social media campaign geared towards all DC residents letting their councilmen and other politicians know that the Redskins should not be allowed to build a new stadium due to the way they are poorly run, because spending billions on an empty stadium is a waste.  If Snyder saw the fans displeasure on a daily basis aimed at preventing him from getting that stadium, with the fanbase previously considered an automatic ally, but now is acting against his primary goal, I think that is the best way to get Danny boy to act.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Put a giant Banner that says #FIREBRUCEALLEN and #DANSELLTHETEAM on the entrance to Redskins Park.

Rinse and repeat everyday until it works.

Cheap and easy.

Edit:

You can also add banners listing all those misdoings by them.

Then call the Post to have them picture it early morning.

Edited by Wildbunny
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

this dude on twitter among others is all over it

Redskins Rant

@RedskinsRant

Guys NEWFLASH:

Dan & Bruce are old as **** , the #firebruceallen is nice but let's go old school 

I'm gonna make 1,000 flyers and mail them to Redskins Park. Who with me??

Edited by thesubmittedone
Rule 6

After the Eagles game where Fed Ex was completely overrun by Eagles fans, why on God’s green earth would anybody ever attend another Redskins game in that dump?  Not to mention It’s the most expensive venue in the entire NFL.  Seriously, have some pride!  Don’t show up!!!!!

• Like 2

Simple idea

send a letter addressed to Dan Snyder, Owner, Sears Corp to Redskins Park

inside a piece of paper with #firebruceallen

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, -JB- said:

After the Eagles game where Fed Ex was completely overrun by Eagles fans, why on God’s green earth would anybody ever attend another Redskins game in that dump?  Not to mention It’s the most expensive venue in the entire NFL.  Seriously, have some pride!  Don’t show up!!!!!

Life long dream is to see a Redskins home game...so I have a question.. if I were to make it to a game there and cheered on the Skins like I normally do would i get harassed buy other Redskins fans?...Im not a belligerent drunken fan either lol

Why don’t we show up in mass to see Allen and Snyder with our nose painted brown with each of us brining a six beer as an offering to them

Posted (edited)

An old school Boom box cranking Pink Floyd The Wall outside RP - is there anybody out there? on repeat.

Edited by RandyHolt

9 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Life long dream is to see a Redskins home game...so I have a question.. if I were to make it to a game there and cheered on the Skins like I normally do would i get harassed buy other Redskins fans?...Im not a belligerent drunken fan either lol

Not worth it.  Trust me.  Find a new dream LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
  • - install a competent and fully empowered GM whose one and only job is GM
  • - rack up consistent "smart" drafts
  • - install a professional team culture (drop/trade/cut/sit the idiots who get pre-snap penalties, unsportsmanlike penalties, blow assignments, mouth off, get in fights, stay at home, miss or are late at work, etc.)
  • - play home games somewhere in DC or Northern VA that is accessible
  • - build that stadium with seats that are unobstructed and sized for adults ... human adults ... with shoulders and hips
  • - increase the number ticket packages (2 game, 4 game, full season) and reduce the package ticket prices ... DRAMATICALLY, so local regular rank and file Redskins fans can afford to go to games instead of selling them to lobbyists and law firms who comp them to people who only want to see the visiting team
  • - do whatever must be done to have a solid seriously above average to great offensive line
  • - stop settling for players with clear holes in their game
  • - STOP playing canned crowd noise in the stadium
  • - take some notes from the NHL about how they manage to keep home game tickets in the hands of home team fans
  • - refresh the brand ... uniforms if not also name

Edited by Brokenstriker
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

At this point, people might feel too sorry for you to knock you out cold. Or say mean things to you.👍

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

At this point, people might feel too sorry for you to knock you out cold. Or say mean things to you.👍

Ain't no one gonna try to knock me out cold..I would give them no reason to..and plus I highly doubt some one could bring in that big of a stick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brokenstriker said:
  • 1 increase the number ticket packages (2 game, 4 game, full season) and reduce the package ticket prices ... DRAMATICALLY, so local regular rank and file Redskins fans can afford to go to games instead of selling them to lobbyists and law firms who comp them to people who only want to see the visiting team
  • 2 take some notes from the NHL about how they manage to keep home game tickets in the hands of home team fans

1. +1

2. Do you have any sources? I'd love to read them.

I don't think it's possible for management/ownership to be unaware that fans are upset and increasingly checking out.  They know.  Even if they posture publicly in such a way that shocks Van Pelt, it's impossible for them not to know.  The numbers have told the story for years and if management is aware of anything, it's the numbers. 

The problem isn't a lack of awareness, it's a lack of competence.  They're doing their best to build a respectable franchise that wins on the field.  The task has simply proven too large for them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Threaten to boycott any redskins sponsor to force Bruce out and Dan to sell. Make it public that any future sponsor will face a boycott.

Edited by ClaytoAli
  • Like 1

On 1/1/2019 at 5:31 PM, RonArtest15 said:

The best action you can take is not showing up to practices/games, not buying Skins gear, and not tuning into to any broadcasts Redskins related.  Indifference is king. 

But that goes for the whole NFL, because they get a percentage of certain NFL revenues.