Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Welp, another managerial search incoming...

Rendon will be gone. Strasburg will continue to decline...

Referring to the first, this is most likely the case, sadly. 82-80 last season and 9-9 this year.

I was going over all of the hot and cold streaks under Davey. There is only one positive stretch (one!) when they went 22-6 last May. The Nats are 69-83 in all of the rest. It's safe to say that the 22-6 run was the aberration.

Edited by Metalhead
  • Like 1

Just now, Metalhead said:

This is most likely the case, sadly. 82-80 last season and 9-9 this year.

I was going over all of the hot and cold streaks under Davey. There is only one positive stretch (one!) when they went 22-6 last May. The Nats are 69-83 in all of the rest. It's safe to say that the 22-6 run was the aberration.

They'll probably go back to the "veteran" manager well again. I don't think it'll make much difference...

1 minute ago, Metalhead said:

We are in purgatory.

We are. This is kind of the worst place to be in--expensive, aging, mediocre roster. We have Soto and Robles, with Kieboom on the cusp. We have no pitching in the minors--and our rotation is old. Garcia is interesting, but young. I just don't see us breaking through in the next several years.

8 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

They'll probably go back to the "veteran" manager well again. I don't think it'll make much difference...

If they’ve decided after the Bud Black incident, which directly led to geriatric Dusty and wet-behind-the-ears Davey, that they will pay their managers reasonable salaries then I’m all for bringing someone else in. 

1 hour ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

If they’ve decided after the Bud Black incident, which directly led to geriatric Dusty and wet-behind-the-ears Davey, that they will pay their managers reasonable salaries then I’m all for bringing someone else in. 

Until the Lerners do it. I don't believe they'll pay big for a manager. If they are finally willing. Then you throw money at Joe Girardi.

I don't what Davey's deal is. It just seems that he's along for the ride and most of his decisions even up being the wrong ones. Like he has the worst luck in the world because you'd have to try to mess up more.

2 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

This is actually a narrative that isn't accurate. Dusty made $2m, Davey makes more than Alex Cora.

But yes, they need to stop fiddle-farting around with sub-par managers. I had an inkling they might go after Buck Showalter if they can Davey.

1 hour ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I don't what Davey's deal is.

There is never a sense of urgency from him--and I think it reflects on the team. He is just whistling through the graveyard.

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

This is actually a narrative that isn't accurate. Dusty made $2m, Davey makes more than Alex Cora.

Ok, the money is THAT low. But the years have been. A guy like Girardi is going to want like $7M per year for 5-6 years min.

and I think they should do it.

Here is a novel idea. Spend bigger on your manager, coaches, trainers, scouting. It doesn't put you into any kind of luxury tax situation and it puts you in even a stronger foundational situation. 

41 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Ok, the money is THAT low. But the years have been. A guy like Girardi is going to want like $7M per year for 5-6 years min.

and I think they should do it.

Here is a novel idea. Spend bigger on your manager, coaches, trainers, scouting. It doesn't put you into any kind of luxury tax situation and it puts you in even a stronger foundational situation. 

I don't disagree--but Dusty's $2m salary would have put him 11th last year. Davey's is on par with other 1st time managers. I totally agree with you--go big or go home. Manager and coaches salaries are not included in the luxury tax. They need to shoot Lillequest to the moon. I can't stand him and just about every pitcher has regressed under him.

They also need to look at how they develop pitchers--specifically relievers. Treinen, Vazquez (FKA Rivero), Gott, and others have been excellent since leaving here. They need to find out why. They haven't developed an in-house reliever since Clippard? A starter since Roark? That needs investigating.

I'd be all for Girardi, Showalter, coaxing Bochy out of retirement. If they went the 1st time route and didn't go after Beltran, I'd be pissed.

Edited by Riggo#44
  • Like 1