Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Scherzer is going to the HoF either way and is most likely going in wearing a Nats cap whether we trade him now or not. Might as well get a haul for him now while we can.

That would be interesting to see... Tigers for 5 years with 1 Cy Young. If we traded him this year he'd have been with the Nats for 4.5 years and 2 Cy Youngs (and likely 5x ASGs). Then he'd have 2.5 years (and maybe a World Series) with whoever we trade him to.. thinking LAD, NYY, etc, the big money contenders are most likely. 

Would be really interesting to see if he would be inducted as a National if we traded him. I don't think that's a guarantee but I do think it would be most likely. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

That would be interesting to see... Tigers for 5 years with 1 Cy Young. If we traded him this year he'd have been with the Nats for 4.5 years and 2 Cy Youngs (and likely 5x ASGs). Then he'd have 2.5 years (and maybe a World Series) with whoever we trade him to.. thinking LAD, NYY, etc, the big money contenders are most likely. 

Would be really interesting to see if he would be inducted as a National if we traded him. I don't think that's a guarantee but I do think it would be most likely. 

If he goes to another team and has the same amount of success, he could always pull a Greg Maddux and have his plaque with no hat.

28 minutes ago, First Colony said:

If he goes to another team and has the same amount of success, he could always pull a Greg Maddux and have his plaque with no hat.

I was thinking that too. I'd still go to his induction ceremony if that was the case. 

(did Maddux go in with no cap or are you thinking Mussina?) 

double edit- nope you're right, Maddux did too 

Edited by skinsfan_1215

I think you keep Max for that vet leadership. Plus, he's our Hall of Famer. We aren't the Yankees, Red Sox, etc. with a long history and all these names in the Hall. We have 1 player who even played for the Nats--Pudge, and it was the last one of his career. Putting Max into the Hall with the Curly-W is worth hanging onto him.

And, I am planning a family vacation to see him inducted. My daughters will be teenagers by then (frightening thought), perfect way to torture them.

• Like 1

I generally agree with the philosophy that managers dont matter much in baseball, but there needs to be a minimum skill qualification. For all my complaints about Dusty's strategic decisions in games that mattered, I never once doubted he had the respect of the lockerrom and the ability to lead the team.

Nats have backed themselves into a corner. They need to get rid of Martinez, but doing so only reinforces the notions that no manager with options will come here without a large contract, which ownership has been yet willing to do. If they are leaning more to rebuilding, I can't see them paying one to go through lean years

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

I think you keep Max for that vet leadership. Plus, he's our Hall of Famer. We aren't the Yankees, Red Sox, etc. with a long history and all these names in the Hall. We have 1 player who even played for the Nats--Pudge, and it was the last one of his career. Putting Max into the Hall with the Curly-W is worth hanging onto him.

And, I am planning a family vacation to see him inducted. My daughters will be teenagers by then (frightening thought), perfect way to torture them.

His HOF plaque needs to capture his heterochromia. Anything less is a travesty

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Remind me in a decade and I will buy you a beer at Ommegang. We can reminisce about the long ago times when the Nats didn’t totally suck. 

• Haha 1

So...  I know this may have been discussed ad nauseum in this chain, but what is Buck Showalter up to these days?  This team is not in a rebuilding mode with the talent is has right now.  Time to find someone to right this ship.  While a manager in baseball might not "matter" as much as in other sports, namely football and basketball, I think it still makes a significant difference.  Buck has a track record of success and seems to be consumed by his coaching responsibilities and establishing a winning culture where ever he goes.

16 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Adios MAT when Soto comes off the DL. 

And then he'll go somewhere else and become the 30-30 guy we always wanted him to be.

It's 'The DC Way'.

Edited by CRobi21
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

And then he'll go somewhere else and become the 30-30 guy we always wanted him to be.

It's 'The DC Way'.

Eh... if he does then great, he was never going to get (another) shot at starting here. But I don’t think he’s got it in him.

1 hour ago, CRobi21 said:

It's 'The DC Way'.

nah bruh, MAT is dead at the plate. 30/30 ain't happening. I don't think he'll ever hit consistently enough to stay in a lineup long enough to even get to 20/20

• Like 1

5 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Remind me in a decade and I will buy you a beer at Ommegang. We can reminisce about the long ago times when the Nats didn’t totally suck. 

If we suck for a decade, trading Scherzer won't do anything. I'd rather have him as a Nat 4 Life

18 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

His HOF plaque needs to capture his heterochromia. Anything less is a travesty

They tried that in Detroit with his bobblehead, and it belongs in a House of Horrors, not the Hall of Fame:

maxscherzerbobblehead.jpg?w=1000

• Haha 2