Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

6 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Yes, it’s May.  He’s on pace for a career low in steals - the aspect of his game that you’re hanging your hat on.

While still in the top 10 in the majors, which is my larger point on the stolen bases aspect of his overall game.

6 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

But he could turn it around.  Maybe he does hit 20+ HRs in the next 4.5 months after sitting on 2 for about a quarter of the season in.

He's still hitting .281, which is still higher then Ruiz, he hasn't fallen off a cliff yet, if you're suggesting it's already starting.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

He's still hitting .281, which is still higher then Ruiz, he hasn't fallen off a cliff yet, if you're suggesting it's already starting.

How about RBIs? Who leads in RBIs? That's where the real money is made.

Meanwhile, Josiah Gray got himself in a bases loaded, no out jam. Works his way out of it, giving up only 1 run. I love me some Josiah Gray.

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

How about RBIs? Who leads in RBIs? That's where the real money is made.

How about his ranking as a SS on defense?  He's never lead a team in RBIs and ivd never touted he did, is his defensive play dropping off a cliff as well?

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Meanwhile, Josiah Gray got himself in a bases loaded, no out jam. Works his way out of it, giving up only 1 run. I love me some Josiah Gray.

I saw it, credit where credit is due.

Edited by Renegade7

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

While still in the top 10 in the majors, which is my larger point on the stolen bases aspect of his overall game.

I haven’t said he’s fallen off a cliff and I don’t believe anyone else has either.  He has shown 4 years of decline with SBs.  His 2022 numbers are down across the board in 2022.  (Yes it’s only a shade less of a quarter season in).  Will he put up his 2019-2021 numbers when he’s in his mid thirties (making 30M+)?  I wouldn’t take that bet.

Ruiz and Gray have 50% more WAR than Trea so far in 2022.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

How about his ranking as a SS on defense?  He's never lead a team in RBIs and ivd never touted he did, is his defensive play dropping off a cliff as well?

He's currently a negative dWAR on fangraphs. The real question--does he make other players better?

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I saw it, credit where credit is due.

I’m not the biggest advocate of defensive stats, but he has the worst dWAR of his career so far at -0.2.  That  is something you can’t really get much out of until you get a season’s worth of data though.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I’m not the biggest advocate of defensive stats, but he has the worst dWAR of his career so far at -0.2.  That  is something you can’t really get much out of until you get a season’s worth of data though.

More then fair.

15 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

He's currently a negative dWAR on fangraphs. The real question--does he make other players better?

Yikes, are you arguing he doesn't or drags the team down?  When he was here, I remember the fear pitchers had of him getting on base, it changed decisions in a way other players didn't.  Did that stop in LA?  I don't think baseball has a +/- like other sports, so it's hard for me to answer this question with stats (I'm listening).

29 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

$43M for, at most, 24 starts.  He was looking real good this season too.

He was. I know it's only May and even last year he looked worn down at times later in the season. But this is a chunk of the summer at best with no issues healing. 

42 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Love me some Max. But I don't think this is a surprise here. Guy throws with everything he has. 

His durability over the course of his career has been perhaps his top attribute. A serious injury at some point was probably inevitable and I’d been waiting for it the last few years. But still, it’s least a little jarring to see it happen to him after this long. 

They broke our Scherzer

4 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

I'm ok with wondering what if? with Turner. If they hit their ceilings, the legend of Rizzo only grows

Ruiz profile right now is excellent contact, line drive hitter with moderate power...who does that sound like when they came up?

Anthony Rendon

• Like 1