Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: Welcome to DC, Dylan Crews! (RIP TNL)

Riggo#44

Let's be honest with ourselves, did anyone expect a different result than what's currently happening?  When you lose the offensive production of a Rendon, it's crippling.  What made us so lethal in 2019 was a prime Rendon hitting in front of an emerging superstar in Soto.  Fast forward to this season, and there are only 2 batters to fear in the entire lineup, and one of them bats leadoff.  Rizzo has to take the blame for his offseason signings.  How in the world did he think that signing Schwarber and Bell (two strikeout magnets) could improve our offense?  Both signings look horrific.  I'm not going to rip Rizzo for signing Strasburg over Rendon, since Rendon is just as injury prone on the Angels as Stras is with the Nats.  I would also sign the pitcher everytime in that scenario. 

Rizzo has a lot of work to do this offseason, and finding a 3B is his most important task.  I'm not going to advocate for trading Scherzer at the deadline, but Rizzo has to be thinking about it now.  If this homestand goes south for us, we're definitely going to be the center of attention around baseball, since Max is the key prize for a contender this year.

8 hours ago, samy316 said:

Let's be honest with ourselves, did anyone expect a different result than what's currently happening?  When you lose the offensive production of a Rendon, it's crippling.  What made us so lethal in 2019 was a prime Rendon hitting in front of an emerging superstar in Soto.  Fast forward to this season, and there are only 2 batters to fear in the entire lineup, and one of them bats leadoff.  Rizzo has to take the blame for his offseason signings.  How in the world did he think that signing Schwarber and Bell (two strikeout magnets) could improve our offense?  Both signings look horrific.  I'm not going to rip Rizzo for signing Strasburg over Rendon, since Rendon is just as injury prone on the Angels as Stras is with the Nats.  I would also sign the pitcher everytime in that scenario. 

Rizzo has a lot of work to do this offseason, and finding a 3B is his most important task.  I'm not going to advocate for trading Scherzer at the deadline, but Rizzo has to be thinking about it now.  If this homestand goes south for us, we're definitely going to be the center of attention around baseball, since Max is the key prize for a contender this year.

I don't blame Rizzo too much. Its hard to find those kinda bats in FA and there is no way we could pay both Rendon and Stras(and to my knowledge Rendon hasn't quite been Rendon for hte Angels either).

I think now its time to realize we need to rebuild. Keep Soto for sure. I want to keep Turner but he's a speed guy who's gonna enter 30 where speed tends to drop off so that's a concern as well. Try to gauge what kind of value you can get for everyone else.

We were the oldest team in baseball when we won it all and now we're suffering the after effect. But I'll take the ring everytime.

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't blame Rizzo too much. Its hard to find those kinda bats in FA and there is no way we could pay both Rendon and Stras(and to my knowledge Rendon hasn't quite been Rendon for hte Angels either).

I think now its time to realize we need to rebuild. Keep Soto for sure. I want to keep Turner but he's a speed guy who's gonna enter 30 where speed tends to drop off so that's a concern as well. Try to gauge what kind of value you can get for everyone else.

We were the oldest team in baseball when we won it all and now we're suffering the after effect. But I'll take the ring everytime.

agree with most of this, but Trea isn't just a "speed guy" anymore. he's one of the best hitters in baseball, that happens to also be fast. don't think his age has anything to do with re-signing him when he's had some of the best hitting stats in the MLB the last few years, consistently

13 hours ago, mammajamma said:

edit, just confirmed it was Victor. How many times now has he made a baserunning mistake like this? he's not a good enough hitter to make mistakes like this. send him down or trade him

That stuff should bench you in the minors.  He has great talent but there has to be accountability for idiotic base running decisions again and again.  Just ridiculous stuff

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

^^I'd love to get him to DC while both Max & Stras are here. Kid could learn a lot about pitching...

I don't know Lucas Giolito was here under those same circumstances and struggled. Sometimes its tough to pitch in the shadow of two legends.