Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

I haven't read what type of contract he's looking for so hard to say if it's a good fit for the Nats. But he's a nice fit in the lineup with Soto. Would piss off Harper...Win-win

Nationals the favorites for Realmuto?

Dec. 4: With the Mets focusing on James McCann and the Phillies’ financial situation potentially impacting the club’s spending habits this offseason, there’s no longer a clear frontrunner for Realmuto.

But MLB.com’s Jon Paul Morosi thinks the door could be open for another National League East club -- the Nationals -- to step in and sign the catcher.

“Perhaps the most likely team to get Realmuto ... would be the Washington Nationals,” Morosi said Friday on MLB Network. “They’ve seen him up close for the entirety of his career -- first the Marlins and then the Phillies -- just what a great two-way catcher J.T. is. And that would be a real win for the Nationals when you consider the way that their club is set up.

“Certainly this would not be well received by the noted former National in Bryce Harper, if in fact Realmuto goes back to play in our nation’s capital. But I do think the Nationals are in the market for a catcher, and in so many ways Realmuto fits their club as well as he fits any other club.”

https://www.mlb.com/news/j-t-realmuto-rumors

Im very concerned about this team this year and the next couple of years. We have no one on the top-100 for the first time in 12-13 years or so. We have major holes at 1st, 2nd, 3rd left, and C. Backend of the rotation is highly questionable, we need both Cavali and Rutledge to hit. We have to have Kieboom develop. The rotation is still good, but old. How much does Max have left? What about Corbin and Stras? How much of last year was the ****ty circumstance and how much was actual regression? 

I highly doubt we go hard after Realmuto, its not Rizzo's preference. It'll be an interesting couple of months.

Spanky won us a ring and now he gets a shot to do the same with his old team. I'm not mad at it. Best of luck to him. 

I'm terrified about the future of this team, not going to lie. My worst nightmare is us becoming what the Eagles have become, just a franchise that got hot at the right time for a season only to fade into obscurity just as quickly. But you've gotta trust the ones who got you there. Rizzo knows what he's doing and he'll be with us for a long time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

Spanky won us a ring and now he gets a shot to do the same with his old team. I'm not mad at it. Best of luck to him. 

I'm terrified about the future of this team, not going to lie. My worst nightmare is us becoming what the Eagles have become, just a franchise that got hot at the right time for a season only to fade into obscurity just as quickly. But you've gotta trust the ones who got you there. Rizzo knows what he's doing and he'll be with us for a long time. 

I’ve kinda accepted it. We got lucky and caught lightning in a bottle in what was possibly our last chance to do so. I was actually in favor of blowing that team up before they started surging due to the rapidly aging roster and lack of top prospects behind them. But we’ve been trending this direction for a few years and it’s been easy to predict. A good baseball comp might be the Tigers after their 2011-2014 run. They went for it, had a good team for several years, but subsequently were left with a very expensive roster that just wasn’t that good anymore. 

Now, we have a leg up on them in that we do have a couple high end starting pitchers that should continue to be good for several years to come, Turner under contract for a couple more years (2 I think?), and Soto who might be one of the top 3-5 players in the game.

So if we figure out a way to rebuild a new group of quality players around them, we’ve got a chance to be decent. I do think it would require at least a few of our top prospects to get good really fast. Namely Kieboom or Garcia and at least one of our rotation prospects turning into a quality #3 starter. 

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

I am too, however, we've had an excellent run, and its not over yet. BUT, and that's a big but...so big Sir Mix-a-lot would love it...we need a lot to break our way:

Stras to stay healthy

Max to stave off getting old for another year

Cavalli and Rutledge to be hits

Kieboom to break out

Robles to break out

Corbin to rebound

Harris to rebound

Hudson to rebound

Castro to hit

A couple later round finds to break out: Mendoza, Cronin, etc.

Rizzo needs to make a couple singing too: OF, C, 1B, 3B, Utility type, 4th starter, pen help

I'm at peace with some rebuilding years of struggle.  I hope it isn't this year, but it is clearly coming.  What a run we've had, though.  We've had heartbreak, drama, stars and villains, and finally won with the most unlikely and joyful and lovable team I can remember.  Anything more is icing on the cake.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

I'm at peace with some rebuilding years of struggle.  I hope it isn't this year, but it is clearly coming.  What a run we've had, though.  We've had heartbreak, drama, stars and villains, and finally won with the most unlikely and joyful and lovable team I can remember.  Anything more is icing on the cake.  

All of the heartbreak we experienced as fans - and I wasn't diehard until 2014, so I missed out on the great and terrible of 2012 - built up to the most rapturously perfect and totally unbelievable playoff run you could ask for. Going into the wildcard, no way did I think that was going to be the year. It's the kind of season that makes you reevaluate the way you approach sports, or at least for me it was.

So yeah, I couldn't ask for anything more. I just don't want Soto's best years to be spent on a team in rebuild. That would make me sad. On the other hand, not many get to experience a moment like this at his age:

giphy.gif

On 12/10/2020 at 2:57 PM, Bacon said:

As long as Rizzo is here, there is hope

• Like 2