Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

29 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

To be fair, he spent the last two years as the worst starter in baseball. Good for him, we'll see if it lasts, he's had stretches like this before.

All he needed was the Nats to take a nose dive and he suddenly turns it around just to rub it in our faces and kick us while we're down.

Btw- lotta chatter amongst Yankee fans about Scherzer and Rendon. Yankee fan chatter is of course meaningless but they've got some interesting pieces the fans floated as a possible return for those guys (Clint Frazier, Miguel Andujar, and their top rotation prospect Jonathan Loaisiga). 

• Like 1

I'm honestly not too worried about Giolito coming back to bite us long term.  I think there's something to that theory (don't remember where I read it) of pitchers having 6-8 good years at best, post Tommy John surgery.

I remember there was some frustrating around here when Jordan Zimmermann left for the Tigers.  He had his surgery in 2009 and we got five pretty good seasons out of him, then let him go.  Fans weren't happy.  Have you seen his stats with the Tigers over the last four years.  Record is 24-32, though I know that doesn't always mean anything.  However, his ERA is nearly two runs higher, he's never come close to the same inning totals, and all of the fancier numbers that adjust for league and park are worse in comparison to his time here.  Letting him walk was the correct decision.

Giolito is in, I think, his 6th season now post TJ surgery.  Maybe he'll be different.  I'm going to wait and see it he's still an effective starter in this league in 2022 before I go crying about trading him.  If Eaton hadn't lost an entire season, i think we'd be less worried.  For what it is worth so I don't look like too much of a homer, the above is also the primary reason I was leery about giving Strasburg the extension he was given.  I hope I'm wrong.  I know not everyone can be a terminator robot like Scherzer.  We're going to find out about Corbin in the next few years as well, he had his in 2014.

Now that I think about it, I can't think of any pitcher who had Tommy John surgery early in their career and then went on to have a really long, if not great, at least consistent career.  Kerry Wood had three good seasons post Tommy John and then lost it.  Mark Prior fell off a cliff.  There's a list here if anyone wants to try to find one that meets the criteria.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_baseball_players_who_underwent_Tommy_John_surgery

This sucks. So much. Thank god for the Capitals - I feel for you in here who don't like hockey (I'm guessing because people don't grow up playing it like the other sports and thus, less understanding = less care = very fair)

We were supposed to have  two competent organizations in this town. Now we have just one. It's just sad..

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

So they're giving him til the all-star break

The 1/3 of the way through the season works both ways. 

Get Davey out now and maybe the new guy can light a spark somehow. We hovered at .500 all last year. We hovered to start this year, and now we're free falling. It's not gonna get better.

Make the move.

Soto was on his fastball that whole AB. He's really locked in this past week. 

Looking like his rookie year.

Hey look. It's almost as if Doolittle has been overused and his stuff isn't as good as it should be. Weird.

Edited by CRobi21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, skinfan2k said:

Soto really needs to be at his MVP level if this team wants to the next step in the next few years. 

I have no doubt he will eventually consistently be one of the games top 5-10 hitters overall

Just gotta ride the ups and downs of a 20yr old in the meantime