Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Washington Nationals Thread ***WORLD SERIES CHAMPION***


Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

 

If/when we're double-digits out by the deadline, sell everyone. Doolittle, Rendon, Dozier, Eaton, MAT...

How about...Scherzer?

 

Sounds crazy I know but he still has a few years under contract so he could fetch a ton of value.

 

If we're committed to starting over then lets really commit to starting over.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

How about...Scherzer?

 

Sounds crazy I know but he still has a few years under contract so he could fetch a ton of value.

 

If we're committed to starting over then lets really commit to starting over.

 

I'm not a fan of teams doing things halfway (like when we traded away 4 players last year and not Bryce). If you are trading our core that will help us compete in the next two years, you have to consider whether it makes sense to include Scherzer and Strasburg in that as well (Stras might be tough because he's got opt-outs fwiw). But you could go nuts and trade away our entire rotation except Corbin if you wanted to.  Gomes, Suzuki, Eaton, Dozier, and Rendon from the position group. 

 

Go nuts on the blow up, then extend Trea, Soto, Robles, and Kieboom to keep them under contract for another 7-8 years to give yourself time to open up a new window. Try to land a few top 50 rotation prospects and a handful of other quality young players. Then consistently supplement with new free agents over the course of a few years with a goal of being back to contender status by 2022. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

 

I'm not a fan of teams doing things halfway (like when we traded away 4 players last year and not Bryce). If you are trading our core that will help us compete in the next two years, you have to consider whether it makes sense to include Scherzer and Strasburg in that as well (Stras might be tough because he's got opt-outs fwiw). But you could go nuts and trade away our entire rotation except Corbin if you wanted to.  Gomes, Suzuki, Eaton, Dozier, and Rendon from the position group. 

 

Go nuts on the blow up, then extend Trea, Soto, Robles, and Kieboom to keep them under contract for another 7-8 years to give yourself time to open up a new window. Try to land a few top 50 rotation prospects and a handful of other quality young players. Then consistently supplement with new free agents over the course of a few years with a goal of being back to contender status by 2022. 

Thats my philosophy too. If you wanna win, then go all in to win(within reason of course). If you're gonna rebuild, then really rebuild.

 

I don't think we need to bottom out 2009-2010 style because we have some talented young studs. And Zimmerman's contract expires after 2020 I believe, that'll be a huge albatross off our necks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Thats my philosophy too. If you wanna win, then go all in to win(within reason of course). If you're gonna rebuild, then really rebuild.

 

I don't think we need to bottom out 2009-2010 style because we have some talented young studs. And Zimmerman's contract expires after 2020 I believe, that'll be a huge albatross off our necks.

 

Zimmerman has a team option for next year. This is effectively his last season unless they negotiate an extension at a back-up level salary. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Re earlier posts about a "blow it up to compete" strategy... you know who executed that very well recently? Atlanta Braves. They kept a few core players (Freeman the prime example) and moved on from everyone else. 2013 they are division champs, 2014 they were in it but Nats got out to a huge lead... you got the sense the Braves *could* still be contenders though. Instead they decided to blow it up. Couple years later they are division champs again and have a super exciting young core. 

 

You're talking about the Nats sacrificing being competitive but probably not champs for like 2-3 years for the potential of being WAY better from 2022-2029.

Edited by skinsfan_1215
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Shamelessly linking my tweet above because I think it's brilliant.

 

Can you imagine Fedde and Ross each going 3 innings as openers every 3rd day? Scherzer emptying the tank at 80 pitches in the 9th? Doolittle's appearances would be cut in half, keeping him fresh too. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

 

Shamelessly linking my tweet above because I think it's brilliant.

 

Can you imagine Fedde and Ross each going 3 innings as openers every 3rd day? Scherzer emptying the tank at 80 pitches in the 9th? Doolittle's appearances would be cut in half, keeping him fresh too. 

 

 

one problem, which soul on this earth is going to be brave enough to try and sell that plan to Max Scherzer?

Edited by StillUnknown
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

 

one problem, which soul on this earth is going to be brave enough to try and sell that plan to Max Scherzer?

 

I want Max to be a part of this organization in some capacity for as long as possible. He has fire. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...