Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

^^ Watched some of the wild card game last night.  Missed Turner's grand slam, but saw the end, the players staying on the field to watch on the big screen as the Pirates beat the Cubs for a delayed on-field celebration, then the champagne/beer party in the locker room.  Fun times.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bcl05 said:

I'm having a grim day at the hospital, but this just brought me a bit of joy.

https://twitter.com/MarkZuckerman/status/1244706442097184769

its really going to mean something in 5-10 years, knowing that we not only won the world series, we did so in a way that will likely never be replicated in our lifetimes. winning it is always the goal, but winning in memorable fashion? thats something special

• Like 1

Just now, StillUnknown said:

its really going to mean something in 5-10 years, knowing that we not only won the world series, we did so in a way that will likely never be replicated in our lifetimes. winning it is always the goal, but winning in memorable fashion? thats something special

not even that.  do you realize we won the world series without even winning a home game.  I know we came back 5 times in elimination games.  But what we did was the first time in all 4 pro sports to win a 7 game series, all games on the road. 

• Like 1

The Athletic is doing a VERY deep dive into the top 100 baseball players of all time. The whole thing has been a fantastic read, and as long as a particularly long novel. Like War and Peace length. The only Nat was Mad Max at 90, but i think we can all claim Walter Johnson, who comes in at number 7. Here is the intro. 

This will sound corny, absolutely, but there’s something sacred about the fastball. At the heart of this American game, beneath the strategies, the analytics, the statistics, the sacrifices, the shifts, the legends, the movements, the infield fly rule, there’s a player with a ball and there’s a player with a bat, and they stand 60 feet, 6 inches away from each other.

The player with the ball throws it as hard as he can.

The player with the bat tries to hit it.

That is the spark of baseball, that little piece of magic that rises above and grabs the heart and gives this game something that resembles timelessness. You don’t have to understand anything about stealing signs or linear weights or launch angles or tunneling or working the count to grasp and feel awed by what my friend Jon Hock — who I worked with on the documentary “Fastball” — calls “a primal battle between a man with a stick and a man with a rock.”

And to think that the pitcher who might have thrown the most mind-blowing fastball of them all was just a nice guy from Humboldt, Kan. who threw sidearm more than 100 years ago — well, yes, it sounds corny, but that’s OK because if you can’t say something corny about baseball, especially now, what’s the point of anything?

The remaining 6 must be Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Barry Bonds (ugh), Hank Aaron and Pete Alexander(?)

Alexander gets a ? because he has to be in the top 100 but shouldn’t be in the top 10. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1

Re: Walter Johnson.  The Nats had a display on the concourse at Nats Park about him.  It featured a quote from Ty Cobb on the first time he ever faced the Big Train.  It gave me goose bumps reading it:

“On August 2, 1907, I encountered the most threatening sight I ever saw in the ball field. He was a rookie, and we licked our lips as we warmed up for the first game of a doubleheader in Washington. Evidently, manager Pongo Joe Cantillon of the Nats had picked a rube out of the cornfields of the deepest bushes to pitch against us. He was a tall, shambling galoot of about twenty, with arms so long they hung far out of his sleeves, and with a sidearm delivery that looked unimpressive at first glance. One of the Tigers imitated a cow mooing, and we hollered at Cantillon: ‘Get the pitchfork ready, Joe—your hayseed’s on his way back to the barn.’

“The first time I faced him, I watched him take that easy windup. And then something went past me that made me flinch. The thing was the size of a watermelon seed and it just hissed with danger... We couldn’t touch him … every one of us knew we’d met the most powerful arm ever turned loose in a ball park.”

• Like 9

Nationals’ spring training facility is now a coronavirus testing site

The Washington Nationals have closed their spring training facility in West Palm Beach to all players and staff because it is now being used as a coronavirus testing site by the Florida National Guard.

General Manager Mike Rizzo announced the update on a conference call with reporters Monday. The National Guard took over the facility Sunday, according to a team spokesman, and the club shut it down at the end of last week, after Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) ruled that all of Palm Beach County’s nonessential businesses must close. The National Guard and health-care workers are using the facility’s parking lot to conduct tests for the coronavirus.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/03/30/washington-nationals-spring-training-facility-is-now-coronavirus-testing-site/

Edited by Dan T.

On 3/30/2020 at 9:12 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

The Athletic is doing a VERY deep dive into the top 100 baseball players of all time. The whole thing has been a fantastic read, and as long as a particularly long novel. Like War and Peace length. The only Nat was Mad Max at 90, but i think we can all claim Walter Johnson, who comes in at number 7. Here is the intro. 

The remaining 6 must be Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Barry Bonds (ugh), Hank Aaron and Pete Alexander(?)

Alexander gets a ? because he has to be in the top 100 but shouldn’t be in the top 10. 

drop Pete and add Oscar Charleston for the top 6.  But yes, the writing for this series has been incredible.  Joe Posnanski is a treasure.

On 3/31/2020 at 10:40 AM, Dan T. said:

Re: Walter Johnson.  The Nats had a display on the concourse at Nats Park about him.  It featured a quote from Ty Cobb on the first time he ever faced the Big Train.  It gave me goose bumps reading it:

“On August 2, 1907, I encountered the most threatening sight I ever saw in the ball field. He was a rookie, and we licked our lips as we warmed up for the first game of a doubleheader in Washington. Evidently, manager Pongo Joe Cantillon of the Nats had picked a rube out of the cornfields of the deepest bushes to pitch against us. He was a tall, shambling galoot of about twenty, with arms so long they hung far out of his sleeves, and with a sidearm delivery that looked unimpressive at first glance. One of the Tigers imitated a cow mooing, and we hollered at Cantillon: ‘Get the pitchfork ready, Joe—your hayseed’s on his way back to the barn.’

“The first time I faced him, I watched him take that easy windup. And then something went past me that made me flinch. The thing was the size of a watermelon seed and it just hissed with danger... We couldn’t touch him … every one of us knew we’d met the most powerful arm ever turned loose in a ball park.”

Just heard this same quote on the Ken Burns Baseball documentary. Free on Prime Video. It’s excellent. 

• Like 1

So this seems most like the most appropriate place to ask.  Is there a baseball game out there I can entertain myself with during quarantine.  The last one I owned was I think maybe EA Sports 2004, I think it had Pujols on the cover and Barry Bonds was a white guy named Jon Dowd.

PC preferred, though I suppose Nintendo Switch would be okay as well.  Don't own anything else.  I want to actually be able to play the game, as well as have some sort of drafting/multiple seasons component, like the way the Madden's are set up.

I saw out of the park baseball on Steam which appears to be a stat nerd/GM in training wet dream, and I do enjoy stuff like that, but I wanted to actually be able to play the games as well, not just simulate them.  R.B.I. Baseball 20 has terrible reviews.  There's something called Super Mega Baseball which has...interesting graphics but I can't tell if there is much of a drafting/franchise/GM component to it.  I haven't looked on the Switch store to see if there is anything yet.

Any input?

16 minutes ago, Forehead said:

So this seems most like the most appropriate place to ask.  Is there a baseball game out there I can entertain myself with during quarantine.  The last one I owned was I think maybe EA Sports 2004, I think it had Pujols on the cover and Barry Bonds was a white guy named Jon Dowd.

PC preferred, though I suppose Nintendo Switch would be okay as well.  Don't own anything else.  I want to actually be able to play the game, as well as have some sort of drafting/multiple seasons component, like the way the Madden's are set up.

I saw out of the park baseball on Steam which appears to be a stat nerd/GM in training wet dream, and I do enjoy stuff like that, but I wanted to actually be able to play the games as well, not just simulate them.  R.B.I. Baseball 20 has terrible reviews.  There's something called Super Mega Baseball which has...interesting graphics but I can't tell if there is much of a drafting/franchise/GM component to it.  I haven't looked on the Switch store to see if there is anything yet.

Any input?

MLB The Show is really the only answer for what you're looking for, but its playstation exclusive for one more year I think

super mega baseball is pretty fun, but without an mlb license, there's only so much to do

20 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

MLB The Show is really the only answer for what you're looking for, but its playstation exclusive for one more year I think

super mega baseball is pretty fun, but without an mlb license, there's only so much to do

I saw a demo of The Show and it looked intriguing.  Are you able to play an entire game (bat as everyone) or are you restricted to just your player, which is what the demo was doing.

4 minutes ago, Forehead said:

I saw a demo of The Show and it looked intriguing.  Are you able to play an entire game (bat as everyone) or are you restricted to just your player, which is what the demo was doing.

You can do anything and everything you want in The Show. in franchise mode, you can choose to play as everyone or lock on to an individual player.  they have accurate minor league players and the online community usually goes a step further by editing those rosters so they are more visually and statistically accurate. 

they also have a feature called road to the show in which you essentially guide a single player from the minors to the pros.

Edited by StillUnknown