Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

27 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It's the Dodgers.  They have a gigantic fanbase and a huge payroll and they won 106 games.  They're going to get all of the attention unless they're playing someone like the Yankees or Redsox.  I don't mind it.  All that **** has got to be part of why they played so tight.  Millions of people getting let down by every bad pitch or swing.  It would get to anyone and baseball is a very emotional game.

We're playing with house money on the other hand, and I love it.

Exactly what I was hoping.  Dodgers at home is hardly a advantage.  They feel the pressure of their fans and expectations.  This is not the first time they’ve collapsed at home.   I was hoping that would happen as we were the underdogs on the road that weren’t even expected to be there.   Same happened to the Braves. Braves felt the pressure and collapsed.  

I wonder if my best bud regrets his comment before the playoffs where he said he’d rather get crushed ( Braves) in the first round than see the Nats advance when I said I hope we both go through and meet next round? 

Edited by RichmondRedskin88
  • Like 1

It's sports.  Nationals were a few cm away from getting hits on Walker.  Strass calmed down.  Even Kershaw came out and K'd Eaton.  His pitch to Rendon was not a bad pitch.  The one to Soto was awful.  Both hitters locked in on it.  

About to go in to work and it's going to be depressing around sad Dodger fans...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

It's sports.  Nationals were a few cm away from getting hits on Walker.  Strass calmed down.  Even Kershaw came out and K'd Eaton.  His pitch to Rendon was not a bad pitch.  The one to Soto was awful.  Both hitters locked in on it.  

About to go in to work and it's going to be depressing around sad Dodger fans...

Tell them to **** off, they're going to forget about this by, like, noon and be talking about LeBron and The Brow and how the Lakers are gonna win it all.  

53 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

You think Bryce doesn't care that his old team is advancing to the NLCS while he's sitting at home?

I won't say he doesn't care, but I dont think he's stewing.

He knew what he had here, and how he was adored, despite his bull****.  He was the one that ultimately decided to go, despite the drama surrounding the contract offers.

How pissed can you seriously be? He got what he truly wanted from the moment he first stepped on the field in 2012

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

You think Bryce doesn't care that his old team is advancing to the NLCS while he's sitting at home?

nah I think he’s happy he’s got his money and probably doesn’t think we’ll make it any further anyways

i do t know how you could watch the last off-season happen and think he cares about anything other than money

the dudes a front runner even with his favorite sports teams.  

yeah I’m sure he’s sitting at home stewing 🙄

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It's the Dodgers.  They have a gigantic fanbase and a huge payroll and they won 106 games.  They're going to get all of the attention unless they're playing someone like the Yankees or Redsox.  I don't mind it.  All that **** has got to be part of why they played so tight.  Millions of people getting let down by every bad pitch or swing.  It would get to anyone and baseball is a very emotional game.

We're playing with house money on the other hand, and I love it.

I hear you on that. More so I am thinking from the perspective of the glee in this narrative. "Kershaw chokes again!"

I think Kershaw is one of the great athletes of this generation, no just pitcher. I am not a fan of seeing people dunk on him 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bearrock said:

I remember when you posted after the August swoon.  While there would have been absolutely nothing wrong with deciding to leave it for awhile, I'm really happy that you decided to stay with it and got to enjoy this incredible journey and series.  Thank you for staying in the fight.

A big part of being a healthy sports fan is realizing your limits and what you can actually risk while maintaining a strong grasp on your life outside of it. I got through the anxieties of this season the best I could (I even went to a postseason game, saw us lose badly and bounced right back!). Ultimately, I'm thrilled to have been here for such a great moment and celebrating with my fellow long-suffering fans today. 

The only way I can describe last night's game is cathartic. Like sure I'm happy, but it's more than that. I feel like I can look at this whole franchise a little differently now that they've broken through. It's no longer about what they can't do, but what we all know they can achieve.

Everyone says "there's always next year" after a tough loss, but when you lose the same way year after year, it stops feeling like anything is going to change. Well, it has.

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 4

Alright let's talk pitchers for the NLCS. Scherzer threw Monday, Strasburg threw Wednesday in the NLDS. 

Game 1 (Friday) - Sanchez is fresh and seems likely to start on the 5th day after his last start. 

Game 2 (Saturday)- Corbin will be on his 3rd day after throwing 20 pitches. He'll be the most fresh at this point. Scherzer will be on his 5th day after throwing 100+ pitches. 

Game 3- (Monday) - Scherzer would be on his 7th day, Strasburg on his 5th

Game 4 (Tuesday) -  Strasburg on full rest

Begs the question here, do you plan on Sanchez, Scherzer, and Strasburg all pitching on 4 days rest? That would set the Nats up best for having Scherzer and Stras available for games 6-7.

Alternatively, you can plan on having Corbin start game 2, and have Scherzer and Strasburg available out of the bullpen for games 1-2 (respectively). My *guess* is that's what they do, to both get bullpen appearances out of their aces in the first two games and have them starting fully rested for games 3-4. The downside is that it complicates our rotation schedule if this series goes to game 6 or 7. 

This ain’t all on kershaw. Their offense decided 3-0 was enough. They had multiple chances to win in 9.   They learned what we’ve learned many times in DC. Let a team hang around and you can get bit badly

For pitching line ups I go the Ryder Cup route.  Bring the big guns first and see if you can demoralize them early in the series.  Confidence does wonders for our team. 

Edited by RichmondRedskin88
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

This ain’t all on kershaw. Their offense decided 3-0 was enough. They had multiple chances to win in 9.  

Ya.. Just rewatched the full highlights, and they were about 5 feet from a walk off hr in the 9th... Their dugout even started to run on the field to celebrate before Eaton caught it. Crazy how close this game can be..

This is hilarious. I love MAT

Edited by mammajamma
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

I hear you on that. More so I am thinking from the perspective of the glee in this narrative. "Kershaw chokes again!"

I think Kershaw is one of the great athletes of this generation, no just pitcher. I am not a fan of seeing people dunk on him  

Agreed.  It's nasty when the guy should be appreciated.  Measuring the success of baseball seasons and careers in championships is crazy.  The sport is intensely random in small sample sizes and it's so much more of a team game than even football, much less basketball.  You have to appreciate a season on its own terms.  That said, I hope he does get a ring with somebody before he's done.  Him and Trout.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I won't say he doesn't care, but I dont think he's stewing.

He knew what he had here, and how he was adored, despite his bull****.  He was the one that ultimately decided to go, despite the drama surrounding the contract offers.

How pissed can you seriously be? He got what he truly wanted from the moment he first stepped on the field in 2012

From the outside looking in, I don't think he was ever really adored.  My perception of the Nats fans with Harper is that...well, we like him because we kinda have to.  He was a high overall pick, he was exciting for a time and you said it yourself, despite his bull****. ...and if he'd come up on a team like the Braves, we'd hate him.  And we're expecting to lose him to the Yankees in a few years, anyway.  I think a lot of people LIKED him but he wasn't adored.  And when he left, I don't think people were as upset about losing him, instead they were more upset that he went to a rival in the division.  Ovechkin...that is adoration.  Whatever this town's feelings were towards Harper, I don't think any of it could be described as adoration.

How pissed can he seriously be?  I bet he's certainly in a bittersweet mood right now.  Happy that some of his friends have advanced and are going deep into the postseason.  But let's remember, this season started with him supposed to be leading the Phillies to the playoffs and the Nationals maaaaybe making it in.  And it didn't work that way. 

His old team got BETTER WITHOUT him.  His new team?  One win better from the previous year, to finish at an even 81-81.  He's Bryce Harper, the 330 million dollar man, all he could do was help that team get one win better and not make the playoffs?  You said he got what he truly wanted from the moment he stepped on the field, I am assuming you meant he wanted to get paid.  And yes, he got that.  But I believe he wants to have his cake and to eat it too and play for a winner.  All that talk about how he was going to recruit players to the Phillies, how they were going to win while he was there...yeah, there's still a lot of time left on that contract for him to do all that but I guarantee it's not off to the start that he thought he was going to have.  The Phillies surprised a lot of people last year when they went 80-82, people projected that with Harper and all their new FA acquisitions that they'd be in the playoff hunt at least.  

Maybe stewing wasn't the right word but I'm betting he's not happy that the Nats have shown that they're better off without him and he's at home coming off a season that didn't go so well for him from a stats perspective and a team perspective.  And now they just fired their manager.  I can't imagine he's happy.  But yeah, he can do the Scrooge McDuck all winter.