Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

6 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Go to Doolittle for the 4 out save or Grace to face the lefty, especially after Barraclough gave up that rocket to Soto

5 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Freshest arm who's had the most success in his last appearance. Of course it could implode. But that's my move right now. 

My point was people are so quick to second guess Davey on every bullpen move when it doesn’t work. I’ll bet you can find in this thread criticism for overusing Doolittle or for using Grace in high pressure situations.  It’s easy to second guess when things don’t work, but when you have exactly one reliable bullpen arm, it’s tough for him to be right more than wrong. 

8 hours ago, Dan T. said:

My point was people are so quick to second guess Davey on every bullpen move when it doesn’t work. I’ll bet you can find in this thread criticism for overusing Doolittle or for using Grace in high pressure situations.  It’s easy to second guess when things don’t work, but when you have exactly one reliable bullpen arm, it’s tough for him to be right more than wrong. 

I don't disagree that Martinez has been handicapped. But, leaving Barraclough in for that long is inexcusable. I can understand the Suero move--a .189 hitter just running into one--it happens. But the Barraclough move is just dumb, and typical of Martinez.

8 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Suero is being over used...

37 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

^^^ Proving my point...

It's a cycle with Davey.  When you do well, he saddles you up and uses you over and over and over until you fail. Then he complains in the media that guys have to get outs, he doesn't know what else to do. Should a manager ever say something like that in the media, much less multiple times in the early season?

So far:

-Doolittle has been used more to this point in a season than he ever has

-Suero is being used for multiple innings in consecutive games (sometimes 5 innings in 3 games)

-Rainey was used in 3 consecutive games to begin his MLB career, without anyone knowing how he would respond

Barraclough being trotted out for a second inning, and then replaced by an overused Suero (when the beat reporters are tweeting that he looks dead in his warm-up pitches you have a problem).

I understand that the pen has been BAD (historically so) to start the year, but Davey plays in a role in how that happened.  The relievers had their issues with him last year, and then this spring there were whispers about their use in ST. PC gets fired partially because of how the pen is performing. RP are going to other organizations and thriving - Kelley, Treinen... Dusty wasn't the best manager of the pen, but at least with him and Maddox you knew they were getting the best out of them.  With Davey, do you honestly feel like he is both putting the RP in the best position to be successful AND managing the pen the best way it can be managed?  I think the obvious answer to both questions is a resounding NO.

Edited by Popeman38
  • Like 2

Boswell always talks about why catchers and pitchers (and maybe middle infielders) make the best managers and big part of that is bullpen usage.  I think Davey needed a steady hand like Maddox who could help him with these decisions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skinfan2k said:

We need to trade for a stammen at the trade deadline.  This lineup is deep and if fed and anibal have pitching the way we have, we will catch the phillies in no time.  

Problem is...Davey.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Problem is...Davey.

Bad Managers take teams to the playoffs all the time.  Regular season managing is overrated anyways.  Managing in the postseason is a different animal.  We keep blaming Davey but if the players do their job, it makes his job easier.