Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

If Harper leaves, the Nats will be better, I believe.  Like the Mariners after Griffey Jr. leaving.  

Or the Rangers after A-Rod left. Or the Giants after Bonds retired.

Baseball isn't basketball. A bunch of B to B+ players is much better then one A player.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Looks like the MLB Show announcement was that trailer is coming on Feb 5.  So probably no announcement today FWIW.

Don’t think there was/is much chance a goddamn video game studio could be aware of his signing intent without any national baseball writer having a scoop. Toss in the (likely fake) sportscenter graphic and you’ve got a lot of people chasing their tails over nothing. 

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

If Harper leaves, the Nats will be better, I believe.  Like the Mariners after Griffey Jr. leaving.  

Eh, I don't know. I think they will be ok without him. Fight for the division. Outfield of Soto, Robles, Eaton would be fine (if Eaton can stay healthy). But I think a team with Bryce Harper is still better. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Eh, I don't know. I think they will be ok without him. Fight for the division. Outfield of Soto, Robles, Eaton would be fine (if Eaton can stay healthy). But I think a team with Bryce Harper is still better. 

The exact same team with Harper would obviously be better...

To me, it's the people you'd have to let walk or not be able to add in order to sign Harper that would make him not worth it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

The exact same team with Harper would obviously be better...

To me, it's the people you'd have to let walk or not be able to add in order to sign Harper that would make him not worth it. 

If this weren't baseball, I'd agree that people they'd not be "able" to sign. 

If/When this MASN stuff is finally settled...and I think that'll be soon. The annual $ they get from a TV deal will cover more than long term deals for Harper, Rendon and somebody else. Will it mean they have a huge payroll and are over the luxury tax? Yeah... and they would be if they sign Bryce. 

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/washington-nationals/payroll/

The line is $206M for 2019. 

Just now, @SkinsGoldPants said:

If this weren't baseball, I'd agree that people they'd not be "able" to sign. 

If/When this MASN stuff is finally settled...and I think that'll be soon. The annual $ they get from a TV deal will cover more than long term deals for Harper, Rendon and somebody else. Will it mean they have a huge payroll and are over the luxury tax? Yeah... and they would be if they sign Bryce. 

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/washington-nationals/payroll/

The line is $206M for 2019. 

Well that's fair, but still doesn't change my point. 

Being able and being willing are two different things, but the actual amount to me is irrelevant. Let's say the organization sets a budget of $206M (your figure above). In my opinion, they can build a better all-around team without Harper than with if they stick to that budget. The only way they are "better with Harper" is if you think they could spend whatever they wanted, built the best team possible, and then tacked him onto that team. 

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Well that's fair, but still doesn't change my point. 

Being able and being willing are two different things, but the actual amount to me is irrelevant. Let's say the organization sets a budget of $206M (your figure above). In my opinion, they can build a better all-around team without Harper than with if they stick to that budget. The only way they are "better with Harper" is if you think they could spend whatever they wanted, built the best team possible, and then tacked him onto that team. 

Fair enough.

My point is that last I heard, the Lerners are amongst the wealthiest owners in MLB. This isn't Snyder who needs the Redskins because he got lucky in business over 20 years ago. 

The team is basically built right now with or without Harper. Not sure they are looking to add anything else. Things could change in the spring with injuries/guys stepping up.

Say Harper and the Nats agree to that 300M 10-year deal. For 2019 is that a game changer? 2020?

Payroll.jpg

8 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

You do realize after he left, they signed the best player in baseball in ichiro!

Ichiro was great, no doubt, but Griffey was a .900+ OPS player.  Ichiro was high .700s, low .800s.  Both first ballot hall of famers with different skill sets, but I'd take prime Griffey every day first.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Yeah he only won a MVP lol.

In terms of pure baseball performance, Ichiro was not deserving of the AL MVP in 2001 and Arod and Giambi got robbed.  But at least no one would accuse him of being doped up, lol.  As for best player in baseball, some guy named Barry hit 73 homeruns that year.  He was probably the best non-juiced player though.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Remember when the Junkies said Harper was going to Philly yesterday morning. FAKE NEWS.

They didnt break that story, they ran with other people speculation based on what MLB The Show said, as well as a betting site in Vegas. 

Chris Russell says he has info that Harper has a meeting with an unnamed team...  It may be true, but i'm surprised nothing about this came out by the agent in order to drive up the price when it was (incorrectly) reported he was signing with Philly. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

1067 is full of crap and lies. Take everything you hear from them with a grain of salt. 

The Junkies drummed up speculation and leaped heavily upon it. They literally said Harper to Philly was done. :rofl89:

i know, so did the national media lol

Believe me, i'm not going to act like they're more than they are.  A bit driven morning show that happens to be on a sports station.  I don't listen to them for their sport prowess, they're usually about a day late on most stuff.  

Russell didn’t make any suggestion he knew which team was the mystery team, he actually explicitly said he didn’t know. Harper’s interest in Arizona probably isn’t mutual. 

Padres make some sense in terms of where they are as an organization. And man, what a place to live and play and raise a family. I could see that being way more appealing to Harper than Philly’s money. 

34 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Russell didn’t make any suggestion he knew which team was the mystery team, he actually explicitly said he didn’t know. Harper’s interest in Arizona probably isn’t mutual. 

Padres make some sense in terms of where they are as an organization. And man, what a place to live and play and raise a family. I could see that being way more appealing to Harper than Philly’s money. 

Wasn't Strasburg a done deal to SD back when he was coming up on FA? I just don't see why he would want to leave DC for money when his wife likes it here and he's loved by the city....he saw what happened when the Caps won even though he showed up as a douche in a Vegas jersey

1 minute ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Wasn't Strasburg a done deal to SD back when he was coming up on FA? I just don't see why he would want to leave DC for money when his wife likes it here and he's loved by the city....he saw what happened when the Caps won even though he showed up as a douche in a Vegas jersey

If you don’t see why someone would prefer San Diego over DC as a city/living experience I can’t help ya :)

Also, $2m/$10m/$30m might seem like not that much in the context of a $300m contract. But it’s still millions or tens of millions of dollars, that an athlete will have *one* chance in their lifetime to earn. So they should take the best offer, unless there is a compelling reason to take a (slightly) lower offer.