Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

Unless they have zero history of being able to pitch, I generally don't pay attention to hits vs strike outs in the spring because these guys aren't throwing this stuff they are most comfortable with. It's what they are working on and pitches that are considered situational but don't actually match the count. I did read that Sanchez was working on adding another new pitch to his bag of tricks. That would be sweet.

13 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Who gives an eff...I root for them as a baseball team I don't care for their political beliefs

Only political post on this topic. Yes, Trump is nuts. You know who else is? Joe Biden, Elizabeth Warren, and Bernie Sanders.

They all lie. They are all hypocritical, two-faced, narcissists. None of them give two ****s about you.

GO NATS!!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Only political post on this topic. Yes, Trump is nuts. You know who else is? Joe Biden, Elizabeth Warren, and Bernie Sanders.

They all lie. They are all hypocritical, two-faced, narcissists. None of them give two ****s about you.

GO NATS!!

Only sports post on this topic.  Yes, Houston cheats.  You know who else does? The Nationals, the Orioles, and the Redskins.

They all cheat.  They are all hypocritical, two-faced cheaters.  None of them give two ****s about you.

(In other words, get that both-sides **** outta here.)

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Only sports post on this topic.  Yes, Houston cheats.  You know who else does? The Nationals, the Orioles, and the Redskins.

They all cheat.  They are all hypocritical, two-faced cheaters.  None of them give two ****s about you.

(In other words, get that both-sides **** outta here.)

That made no sense.

Just got back from our annual visit to West Palm Beach.  A couple of quick thoughts on the trip.

We were apparently bad luck for the boys this year.  Not that spring game results matter, but they went 0-3-1 in games we attended.  They were crushed 11-0 by the Cards and 7-3 by the Mets, tied at the Marlins 2-2, then got beat by the Tigers 7-5.  So they were outscored 27 to 10 in four games.  Hoo boy.

Other random observations:

- Lots of new "World Champions" signage both inside the stadium and out.  Hooray!

- Stephen Strasburg can HIT.  He was raking in batting practice, including a couple shots over the left field fence.  After one shot, one of the fans called out "Hey Stephen, can you play third?"  He smiled.  He was smiling a lot.  I guess a ring, a World Series MVP, and $245 million will do that.

- I was expecting an upsurge in attendance at practices and games over previous years as reigning champs.  But I honestly didn't notice  too much of an uptick. (Though we were there earlier this year, and weather for two games wasn't great.)  There was a noticeable drop in Astros fans attending practice though. 

- Asdrubal Cabrera was the last player off the practice field one day late last week, fielding grounder after grounder at third base.  That may be evidence of where the team mindset is as to who will be on third opening day, given Carter Keiboom's struggles.

- The team has taken Coronavirus precautions at camp.  No autographs after practices.  Instead, in order to minimize person-to-person contact, players sign a bunch of stuff ahead of time and those things get handed out to people by staff.

- Any time I had trash to toss during games, I banged loudly twice on the trash can then threw the trash away.  Mostly got startled looks followed by knowing smiles and chuckles.

- The Ballpark continues to have a really good beer selection, especially at the concourse bar down the left field line.

- It was fun to see a blast from the past - Jordan Zimmermann started Sunday for the Tigers against the Nats and looked like his old self - 1 hit, no runs over 4 innings.

- Luis Garcia looks manly.

- Juan Soto is in mid-season form. He was  hitting over .400 middle of last week.  He's "down" to .353 now. 

It seemed like every kid 10 and under attending practices or games was rocking Soto gear.  He will inherit the crown of Mr. National from Ryan Zimmerman.

- Kurt Suzuki works his ass off on defense.  Their pitching machines can be set to throw breaking stuff.  They set one up to shoot pitches into the dirt, and Zuke practiced blocking pitch after pitch for several minutes.  He worked on angling his chest toward the ground to deaden the ball in front of him.  We saw him doing the same thing last spring pregame at Roger Dean Stadium before a Cards game. 

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 4

One other note:

I've never seen such diligent hand-washing in a stadium men's room as what I witnessed in West Palm.  Dudes looked like they were scrubbing for surgery.  The lines for the sinks were as long as the lines for the urinals.  Yay Corona virus!

• Like 3

“So much gets made of everything that we’ve done, and I’ve said all along, too, I got a chance to golf with George W. Bush over the all-star break last year. I’ve caught the first pitch from President [Barack] Obama and shook his hand and talked with him for 10 or 15 minutes,” Zimmerman explained. “For me, I love my country. We live in the greatest country in the world, and I honestly don’t think it’s close.”

“As a kid, to be able to play golf with the president of the United States, or be able to meet the presidents, like I’ve had a chance to through baseball, I would have never, ever thought I would have that opportunity,” he continued. “So no matter who the president is, if they ask me to play golf, I’m going to play golf, whether you support the guy, don’t support the guy.”

I can't fault this line of thinking. And I'm not here for the "blame on both sides" nonsense either. No. 45 is a narcissistic scumbag but hey, if your career allows you to meet the President, go for it. Also when will you get that type of access to share your opinions as well. There was that one NBA player I think in the 80s who gave Reagan a list of ways he could treat people of color better.

• Like 2