Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

The 'alternative' 2019 Gold Glove Award winners

A new metric allows us to select the top defender at each position

CF: Victor Robles, Nationals (+23 OAA)
Robles’ OAA total topped all Major League players, regardless of position, and no other outfielder came within 6 OAA. The rookie showed all the tools: elite sprint speed (29.3 feet per second, 95th percentile), excellent anticipation (83rd percentile in outfield jump) and a nose for the highlight reel, tying for second among outfielders with 10 successful four-star plays (those for which the fielder is given a 26-50% catch probability).

Robles was also money on the “easier plays,” gloving 97% of balls with a catch probability of 50% or higher. He caught 93% of the total balls hit his way, and also outstripped his estimated catch rate by 6%. Both of those totals tied for the league lead. And don’t forget about Robles’ 99.5 mph throw to nab Joey Votto at home plate in August, too. The Nats have a star in center field for years to come.

Soto was the runner up for LF. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

and if memory serves, Robles had a slow start defensively last year

He definitely improved quickly as the year moved on.  He seemed to get better on the base paths as well.  Some blunders out there early on.  I’m really excited to see him progress.  Fun to watch.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

This is what makes Jessica Mendoza's comments particularly stupid. Everyone knew the Astros were doing this, it took public pressure to make useless bag of **** Bobby Manfred to actually get off his ass and do something

• Like 4

It makes me wonder if we were aware of the Astros doing this from former players? the Yankees FO calling us and warning us? or maybe something they do during spring training since we share the same facility?

When Strasburg gave that interview after his dominant performance and said he was told he was tipping pitches, it made me wonder.

On 1/19/2020 at 8:56 PM, Riggo#44 said:

This is what makes Jessica Mendoza's comments particularly stupid. Everyone knew the Astros were doing this, it took public pressure to make useless bag of **** Bobby Manfred to actually get off his ass and do something 

Mendoza is a dumb jock.  She's reasonably good for giving a nuanced take on the highly technical aspects of play but don't go to her to make sense of anything bigger than that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

Fine with this. I might have been in the minority that hoped he would have retired on top after the WS. But the reality is he's a part-time player now. If they go into 2020 like that with a plan for him to start no more than 50% of the time. Cool. 

He's Mr. National. He'll have his jersey retired and a statue will go up somewhere when he's done. If he wants to stay in baseball coaching or in the front office, I'm sure he'll have a job for life with the team.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Fine with this. I might have been in the minority that hoped he would have retired on top after the WS. But the reality is he's a part-time player now. If they go into 2020 like that with a plan for him to start no more than 50% of the time. Cool. 

He's Mr. National. He'll have his jersey retired and a statue will go up somewhere when he's done. If he wants to stay in baseball coaching or in the front office, I'm sure he'll have a job for life with the team.

I think I would have preferred him to go out on top as well, but his bat is still useful when he's healthy. more than that, he understands what his role is on the team and won't be pushing for more than that. This gives the fans and organization a chance to essentially do a year long sendoff.

• Like 1

Just now, StillUnknown said:

I think I would have preferred him to go out on top as well, but his bat is still useful when he's healthy. more than that, he understands what his role is on the team and won't be pushing for more than that. This gives the fans and organization a chance to essentially do a year long sendoff.

I agree. If he's on the Howie workload plan from last year. His foot hopefully will stay ok and his bat will be good. I'd still use him as a PH later in games where he's not playing 1st. 

I wanted Zimm to go out on top, but because we screwed up with Rendon, we need him badly for infield depth. The best way to compensate for his WAR is to keep our platoon fresh and healthy. We would not have won the World Series if Kendrick had gone into the playoffs hurt. 

• Like 3

Good for Dusty, This will be the hard gig he'll ever have. Every road game will be a team he wasn't a part of being called cheaters and liars.

If he can help them keep a low profile and just make the playoffs. That'll be a huge win. Missing the playoffs will be followed by (they needed to cheat to make it before).