Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

It'll be sad the day Max hangs them up. But his HoF plaque with that Curly W will last for all time.

"Max ******* Scherzer, Hall of Fame". That should be his plaque - in your face to match his intensity (and insanity). Man I love the sound of that.

• Like 1

The Athletic is running down the 100 greatest baseball players of all time. Scherzer is number 90. 

https://theathletic.com/1457086/2019/12/28/the-baseball-100-no-90-max-scherzer/

In 2015, he led the league in starts, complete games, shutouts and strikeout-to-walk ratio. You already know he threw three of the greatest games in baseball history that year. He finished fifth in the Cy Young voting.

In 2016, he led the league in wins, starts, innings, strikeouts and WHIP. He won the Cy Young Award.

In 2017, he led the league in complete games, strikeouts, WHIP and hits-per-nine innings. He won the Cy Young Award again.

In 2018, he led the league in wins, complete games, innings, strikeouts, WHIP, hits-per-nine and strikeout-to-walk ratio. He was second in the Cy Young voting.

And last year, despite missing six starts, despite back pain, despite breaking his nose while trying to bunt a ball, despite pitching all season with a broken finger that he tried to keep secret, he finished third in the Cy Young voting and then without his best stuff or health made five postseason starts, ranging from brilliant to gritty, and led the Nationals to the franchise’s first-ever World Series title.

• Like 3

On 12/26/2019 at 3:32 PM, -JB- said:

We just won the World Series with the worst bullpen of all-time.  No need to panic and go crazy like giving Hudson multiple years or overpaying for Will Harris.  I’ve seen it too many times, teams spend a boatload of $ on bullpen arms and their bullpen eventually implodes.  With that said, I’m sure there will be moves made.  Options are limited but who would have thought Daniel Hudson would be closing out game 7 of the WS.

We don't have a regular season bullpen.  We do have a playoff bullpen with Hudson back.  

We would be 100% risking the health of our pitchers by not expanding the quality and depth of our bullpen. Imagine what last season would have looked like if Doolittle's injuries had started piling up sooner and more severely with us overworking him the way we did. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 8:36 PM, Bacon said:

We would be 100% risking the health of our pitchers by not expanding the quality and depth of our bullpen. Imagine what last season would have looked like if Doolittle's injuries had started piling up sooner and more severely with us overworking him the way we did. 

we were dumbass lucky with how things broke for us last year. Rizzo & his crew are smart enough to recognize you cannot expect to survive another year with that bullpen play.

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Arenado just doesn't make logical sense.  Seems stupid that they would trade Robles and others to pay slightly less than for what they could have kept Rendon

Exactly what I’ve been saying. Makes zero sense to trade for Arenado and his contract when we could have just signed Rendon instead. 

• Like 2

Regarding Robles, here's a long range concern... are he and Soto on the same time frame in terms of contract?  Are we going to reach a point where we face the prospect of trying to resign both, ala Strasburg/Rendon? 

Edit: That's assuming the trajectory to stardom expected of Robles. 

Edited by Dan T.

38 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Regarding Robles, here's a long range concern... are he and Soto on the same time frame in terms of contract?  Are we going to reach a point where we face the prospect of trying to resign both, ala Strasburg/Rendon? 

Edit: That's assuming the trajectory to stardom expected of Robles. 

Soto has 4 years to go.  Robles has 5.  But anyone can play the future "must sign" free agent game.  Rendon was used as partial justification to let Harper walk.  Soto's name popped up during Rendon discussion among some fans.  I'm sure if ownership decides to let Soto walk, they'll use Robles as part of the justification too.

• Like 1

He was already an honorary National for his contribution to the World Series. 

Sidebar: my favorite part of the World Series was Joe Buck getting so bored by the smackdown we laid on the Astros in game 2 that he started naming the various family members of Baby Shark. I can't find it on YouTube, but it is the best timeline. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Haha 2