Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

14 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

If it takes 4 years to get him, they need to do it. Their other options suck. 

Well, obviously I'd have preferred the other option that's no longer available, but you're probably right that this is the least bad of the available options.  Really don't like paying him 25 mil when he's 38 though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StillUnknown said:

yeah unless Rizzo knows for certain he has a viable trade option out there

there is a crater sized hole in the middle of the lineup right now

The thing with trades is that to get a good player you have to give up good players/prospects. We don’t have a lot of good prospects right now. Additionally, all the big names I’ve seen tossed around make nearly as much money as we’re talking about paying Donaldson (Bryant) or more (Arenado). Bryant only has at best two years of team control. We aren’t giving up premium players/prospects for Arenado when we could have just paid Rendon. 

Donaldson on a 4 year deal is by far the best option out of these. 

1 minute ago, bearrock said:

Well, obviously I'd have preferred the other option that's no longer available, but you're probably right that this is the least bad of the available options.  Really don't like paying him 25 mil when he's 38 though.

The 4th year is his age 37 season. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

The thing with trades is that to get a good player you have to give up good players/prospects. We don’t have a lot of good prospects right now. Additionally, all the big names I’ve seen tossed around make nearly as much money as we’re talking about paying Donaldson (Bryant) or more (Arenado). Bryant only has at best two years of team control. We aren’t giving up premium players/prospects for Arenado when we could have just paid Rendon. 

Donaldson on a 4 year deal is by far the best option out of these. 

I largely agree. 

if we could somehow swing Bryant without giving up Robles, that would be my #1 option. if a combo of Kieboom, Will Crowe, Rutledge or Denauburg were enough, i'd rather do that than pay Donaldson. otherwise, Donaldson needs to be the target. Market dictates the price and the price is 4 years, thats just what we have to do. if we are serious about defending next year

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Isn't Bryant set to be a FA next year? I wouldn't want to give up Kiebloom for a 1 year rental.

He's arbitration eligible in 2021, free agent in 2022. it would be 2 years of team control.

could benefit us to get a really good player looking to produce so he can cash in

Edited by StillUnknown

Sounds like the pack is thinning out in the Donaldson race and we're still favorites. Should have this figured out soon and I'm good with that because I want to move on to other areas of concern, like shoring up the bullpen. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Thats plenty reasonable. Its mainly a gut feeling, but i'm not as high on his overall potential. i think his value is better as a trade chip.

Agreed. But then I thought the same about Giolito so what do I know

Edited by DoneMessedUp

Carter Kieboom was rushed last season due to injuries, obviously.  I don’t think Rizzo ever envisioned him even coming up that soon.  He did look good in the spring even hit 2 dingers off Verlander.  Clearly his defense wasn’t up to par at SS but since he doesn’t project to ever need to play there for the Nats that’s a good thing.  I think he has potential to have a pretty good MLB bat with some pop.  I’m all in dealing him as the main piece in a Kris Bryant trade if possible.  No way in hell do we give up Robles though. 

Edited by -JB-