Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

12 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I want a blue alternate jersey with a World Series patch (you know, since that’s the one they wore for their run) but I haven’t seen one anywhere... anyone know where I can find them or when they’ll be available?

Word has it they're sold out for the foreseeable future. Nike is making the jerseys next year--so Majestic won't be restocking them anytime soon. Sucks.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, -JB- said:

Remember when fans were mad that Rizzo didn’t sign Bud Black.  I always thought that was funny.  People acting like the Lerner’s are too cheap and lowballed him and “settled” for Dusty Baker

I mean, that's exactly what happened, lol. And then they basically did the same thing to Dust when it came to contract extension talks. They've done that to everybody. That's their reputation

I think Black couldve done great things with the 2016-ish teams, but the past is the past, especially now.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I mean, that's exactly what happened, lol. And then they basically did the same thing to Dust when it came to contract extension talks. They've done that to everybody. That's their reputation

I think Black couldve done great things with the 2016-ish teams, but the past is the past, especially now.

Exactly this. The World Series win doesn’t automatically expunge the past mistakes of the club. It certainly makes it easier to accept them though, since we didn’t end up blowing our window of opportunity. 

• Like 1

I give the Lerner's credit for spending on players, especially in a time where man teams/owners are choosing to go as low as possible. That said, they have always been notoriously stingy with the money when it comes to head coaches.

Common sense would dictate that Martinez will get his extension before the season starts right? He's entering the final year of his deal and coming off a world series win. A raise is in order

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Common sense would dictate that Martinez will get his extension before the season starts right? He's entering the final year of his deal and coming off a world series win. A raise is in order

Common sense or Lerner sense? :ols: 

Rizzo didn’t even get his extension until the middle of the season of his last year. 

I mean it was Bud Black, not Joe Torre, I could understand not wanting to pay him big bucks.

In any case, I just watched a 10 minute video on Facebook that was basically a rewind from our franchise history all the way to the Huddy K. I'm not crying, I promise I'm not crying...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Why did you revise my post to take out that Dusty Baker has clearly more credentials than Bud Black as a MLB Manager?  Bud Black managed almost a decade in San Diego and never made the playoffs.  Excuse me for laughing at fans for being mad the Lerners didn’t throw the appropriate scratch at Bud ****ing Black.  What made him a guy who could have done great things with the 2016 team?  WTF.

And YES the World Series does expunge a lot!  I don’t give a **** about the 2012 blown lead loss to the Cardinals anymore.  I don’t care that Matt Williams took out Jordan Zimmermann in the 9th vs Giants anymore or that they lost in 18 innings later on that series.  I certainly don’t give a **** about what people think about Rizzo/ownership opting not to hire ****ing Bud Black LOL

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

Ideally, they'd announce extensions for Davey and Rizzo before the season. But until they do it, I don't think they will. 

34 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Why did you revise my post to take out that Dusty Baker has clearly more credentials than Bud Black as a MLB Manager?

During your emotional breakdown, did it register at any point to you that I was making the case that Dusty was a worse manager manager than Bud Black?

Or was I countering your belief that the Lerner's weren't being cheap, and weren't settling on Baker, with.... What actually happened, and continued to happen?

As for my belief that he couldve done "Great things" with those teams, well, honestly, great things is incredibly subjective, so yeah, this is interesting.

I certainly believe they could've reached the NLCS, as they could've/should've with Dusty. In reality, the team was on auto-manager at that point. This year really was the first year things felt different. 

So, basically,  I'm not really sure what you're upset about :ols:

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I mean it was Bud Black, not Joe Torre, I could understand not wanting to pay him big bucks.

In any case, I just watched a 10 minute video on Facebook that was basically a rewind from our franchise history all the way to the Huddy K. I'm not crying, I promise I'm not crying...

36 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Why did you revise my post to take out that Dusty Baker has clearly more credentials than Bud Black as a MLB Manager?  Bud Black managed almost a decade in San Diego and never made the playoffs.  Excuse me for laughing at fans for being mad the Lerners didn’t throw the appropriate scratch at Bud ****ing Black.  What made him a guy who could have done great things with the 2016 team?  WTF.

And YES the World Series does expunge a lot!  I don’t give a **** about the 2012 blown lead loss to the Cardinals anymore.  I don’t care that Matt Williams took out Jordan Zimmermann in the 9th vs Giants anymore or that they lost in 18 innings later on that series.  I certainly don’t give a **** about what people think about Rizzo/ownership opting not to hire ****ing Bud Black LOL

Bud Black had and has an excellent reputation as a manager. He would have been better than Dusty, and at age 58 at the the time (IIRC) would have been a guy you hire expecting to manage your club for the next decade as opposed to a guy you are expecting to have to put out to pasture. Black was correctly offered the job but the Lerners wouldn't offer him enough guaranteed years and $. It was bad at the time and it's still bad. 

(idk why we're talking about this, ancient history at this point, but that doesn't change the facts of what happened)

19 minutes ago, -JB- said:

The undercurrents are there as to how much is Rizzo allowed to do based on his baseball decisions.  Rizzo started with Baker, but his initial price tag was too high.  Then Black came into the picture, but things got wobbly with him when the initial offer was for a flat one year deal.  Eventually Baker lowered his price cause he wanted a ring and that was the end of it.  

But I think it tends to show that Lerners sometimes tries to be too smart, to their detriment.  Who offers a new manager a one year contract?  And all that deferred payments that most teams don't touch.  In a complete vacuum, it's just dollars and cents.  But in a business full of proud, competitive people, who wants to be known as that guy who signed a one year deal to manage?  Or that guy who signs a huge deal but gives a huge interest free loan back to the owner?  At some point, the perception may catch up to them.  I think it already has.

That's why I think people around the league and plugged in fans will watch the Rendon (and to a certain extent Stras) negotiation with great interest.  It's one thing to get outbid by some stupid money or if Rendon had his heart set on a destination.  But if they lose Rendon because Rendon doesn't want to do the deferred deal or doesn't go for shiny accounting tricks that artificially pump up the value of the deal, then that raises a lot of questions. 

People could live with losing Harper because keeping Rendon was more important and there was always the nagging doubt of hype vs production with Harper.  And if Nats think they can point to Soto as the reason for letting Rendon walk, Soto's free agency won't be for another four years.  Who will they point to as the reason for letting Soto walk when that time rolls around?  If they lose Rendon despite their best efforts, so be it (though I would fault them for not putting the September offer on the table in the spring).  But if they lose him because they stand on the 7/215 or don't budge much from it, then we'll know the way they will be doing business in the future.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

During your emotional breakdown, did it register at any point to you that I was making the case that Dusty was a worse manager manager than Bud Black?

Or was I countering your belief that the Lerner's weren't being cheap, and weren't settling on Baker, with.... What actually happened, and continued to happen?

As for my belief that he couldve done "Great things" with those teams, well, honestly, great things is incredibly subjective, so yeah, this is interesting.

I certainly believe they could've reached the NLCS, as they could've/should've with Dusty. In reality, the team was on auto-manager at that point. This year really was the first year things felt different. 

So, basically,  I'm not really sure what you're upset about :ols:

Emotional breakdown? Lol Upset?  I was against hiring Bud Black then and I’m doubling down on that today.  I just found it hilarious that the main reason to not sign Bud Black is that the Lerners were being too cheap as if Black was Joe Torre or something.  Maybe they just didn’t really want the guy?  You think?

3 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I always felt like losing Harp was a test as to whether or not they could withstand the popularity blow, more than anything else.

Rendon and Stras, tho..... bit more dicey.

And attendance dropped by 12% this year.  Now how much of that was the bad start (causing casual fans to tune out), I don't know.  But I think losing your headliner definitely had an impact.  

At this point, Rendon and Stras may have more star power in DC than Harper.  Which could also make the impact that much greater if they leave.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Bud Black had and has an excellent reputation as a manager. He would have been better than Dusty, and at age 58 at the the time (IIRC) would have been a guy you hire expecting to manage your club for the next decade as opposed to a guy you are expecting to have to put out to pasture. Black was correctly offered the job but the Lerners wouldn't offer him enough guaranteed years and $. It was bad at the time and it's still bad. 

(idk why we're talking about this, ancient history at this point, but that doesn't change the facts of what happened)

What are you talking about?  Bud Black Managed the Padres for a damn decade and never made the postseason!  Dusty Baker May have had the reputation of overworking his starters but he managed numerous winning clubs and the only stain on his resume is that he never won the World Series.  It’s laughable to argue Bud Black as a better big league manager than Dusty Baker.  Laughable.

Edited by -JB-