Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

26 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Gomes option declined. 

Doolittles picked up.

Stras opts out......

Doolittle’s was def getting picked up at 6.5

I figured they’d probably decline Gomes because he probably doesn’t get 9.5 on the open market.  Could be back I’d think like Zimm on a lesser deal.

Stras was always gonna opt out to maximize his earning potential obviously.  Add a couple more years and bump that salary up and he stays.  Reading articles on his opting out, people are making it seem like him opting out means he’s leaving.  Coming off a Cy Young season in which he ends up WS MVP he would be an idiot not to opt out even if he has no intentions of leaving.  The Nats won’t let him leave.

Edited by -JB-

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I dunno about Rendon but I would be shocked if Stras doesn't come back. We always pay out the ass for quality pitching, it's our thing. 

We offered 30 aav for Rendon at the end of the season.  Recent speculation has been 35 aav gets it done.  Considering the playoff he just had, maybe, maybe not.  But if 35 gets it done, it's gonna have to be non-deferred.  

Stras was going to carry a cap value of 25 next year.  I think Stras is gonna get the contract that Max got at 31, 7yr 210 mil.  If he takes 30 aav but less than 7 years, he's definitely giving us a hometown discount because I would fully expect a loser from the Cole sweepstakes to look at 7/210 for Stras as a very attractive plan B.

So that's about 8 mil higher for Rendon vs this year and 5 mil higher for Stras.  Gomes alone saves you 9 of those 13 mil.  Zim on a lower contract saves you another 10-15 mil.  We can reslot the leftover and Rosenthal money to fix the pen and get another MLB caliber catcher (or are we really gonna go with Reed as the backup?).

Now maybe the Gomes move is a precursor to plan B.  If Rendon leaves and we replace him with a 20 mil player (this year's Josh Donaldson for example), then maybe we go after more production from the catcher position like a Grandal.

Quite frankly, we are fully capable of throwing money at Rendon and Stras for next year and still plug in holes.  But where does that leave us for Trea?  Can Kieboom make the leap and start in the majors?  He was overmatched in the beginning of the year, but has progressed nicely.  That could give us Zim + someone (Howie?) to platoon at first.  And will that leave us enough financial flexibility for Soto down the road? (It should.  Max's contract will end by then).

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I wont with Rendon being a free agent at the same time.  Dude seems destined to be a Yankee now.

I think Stras is much more likely to stay than Rendon

that surprise extension he signed told the story that he wants to be here. Lerner's will give him the raise he wants & deserves.

Rendon is far more trickier to predict because who really knows what the hell is going on in his head

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StillUnknown said:

that surprise extension he signed told the story that he wants to be here. Lerner's will give him the raise he wants & deserves.

Rendon is far more trickier to predict because who really knows what the hell is going on in his head

I agree.  I think with Rendon he doesn’t talk too much.  He’s not gonna spell anything out for you.  Like “Hey, I’m gonna test free agency because it’ll be a cool experience , but that doesn’t mean I’d actually leave.” Or some **** like that lol

Just now, StillUnknown said:

Harper wanted to stay, too, and they decided not to overpay him.  Gotta be prepared for fact this guy opted out for chance to get biggest pay day hell probably ever get, someone will give it to him.

Heard they declined Zimms option today, that is soul crushing, I dont care what the reason is, same day as the GD parade? Rizzo making it clear hes the Danny Ainge of baseball and doesnt have time for any sentimental BS.

oddly enough, i'm completely at ease with this offseason. if any of them choose to leave, so be it. I will cheer like mad when they are introduced with their new teams.  They have delivered all that could be asked of them.

and I fully trust Mike Rizzo to restock the shelves. he has always had vision beyond the immediate future of the team

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Harper wanted to stay, too, and they decided not to overpay him.  Gotta be prepared for fact this guy opted out for chance to get biggest pay day hell probably ever get, someone will give it to him.

Heard they declined Zimms option today, that is soul crushing, I dont care what the reason is, same day as the GD parade? Rizzo making it clear hes the Danny Ainge of baseball and doesnt have time for any sentimental BS.

Everybody already knew they were declining Zimm’s 18 mill option year.  That’s not news to anybody especially Zimm.

• Like 1

there are contractual time constraints of when things have to happen. it sucks, but their hands are kinda tied in the matter. Zimm will be back if he wants, but he knows it can't be at his current number

• Like 1

The deadline for options is 72 hours after end of the season, nothing they could do about that.  The plan with Zimm was always to decline the option and resign on a lower deal.  The option was for 18 mil next year.  There is no way you can pick that up.

Just now, -JB- said:

Everybody already knew they were declining Zimm’s 18 mill option year.  That’s not news to anybody especially Zimm.

I'm having to think of what @StillUnknown is saying, becausebof all days, why today?  Like damn, did he tell him on the bus, I'm seeing this came out an hour ago.

Just now, bearrock said:

The deadline for options is 72 hours after end of the season, nothing they could do about that.  The plan with Zimm was always to decline the option and resign on a lower deal.  The option was for 18 mil next year.  There is no way you can pick that up.

I get that, jus why today?

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm having to think of what @StillUnknown is saying, becausebof all days, why today?  Like damn, did he tell him on the bus, I'm seeing this came out an hour ago.

Zimm's not an idiot. i'm sure they conveyed this message to him well before today, its just official now. even if they didn't, Zimm would know what was going to happen. You don't pay 18mil for sentiment. Zimm still has some gas in the tank and contribute next year, but we do have other holes to fill.

nobody wants to attempt to repeat this seasons game of "hide the bullpen"

Edited by StillUnknown

I mean it was going to be one of the three days leading up to the parade.  There's really not a good day to opt out.  I doubt Rizzo just faxed over the opt out to his agent.  Both side knew it was coming and I'm sure Rizzo did it in the most respectful way possible.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, just654 said:

Because tonight at midnight is 72 hours after the season ended.

Still a business, yes.

4 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Zimm's not an idiot. i'm sure they conveyed this message to him well before today, its just official now. even if they didn't, Zimm would know what was going to happen. You don't pay 18mil for sentiment. Zimm still has some gas in the tank and contribute next year, but we do have other holes to fill.

nobody wants to attempt to repeat this seasons game of "hide the bullpen"

Ya, I was caught off guard with that one and didnt know the opt period was that short.  That's jus dumb, the NFL new league year starts more then a month after the super bowl, smh

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

We got Corbin in anticipation of Strasburg possibly not being on the team after this year. We’ll be ok. But we will probably need a mini re-build/re-tool with some of the veteran turnover. 

I disagree here.  We got Corbin because we needed a lefty in our rotation and it made all the sense in the world to pay top dollar for the best relatively young lefty on the market.  It certainly paid off in a huge way. We were/are never going to let Strasburg walk out of the door regardless.  We don’t win this WS with Harper because we don’t win this WS without Corbin.

Edited by -JB-

I'm not going to predict what we will never do until I see whatever number Boras comes up with.  Theres no way in Gods Green Earth hes going to give us a second hometown discount, otherwise he wouldn't of opted out.  It's clear the Lerners have a line in terms of how much they are willing to pay these players, if anything letting Harper walking and winning a ring will make them double down in that approach.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

It's clear the Lerners have a line in terms of how much they are willing to pay these players, if anything letting Harper walking and winning a ring will make them double down in that approach.

now this is the part that worries me. you just never know how an ownership group will react to winning a championship. they'll give lip service about wanting to do it again, but behind closed doors, there will be some who say "we won the championship, now lets focus on maximizing profit." the money nerd is always close by. 

its weird because you really can't say they're wrong to follow that approach. as long as they trust Rizzo to replenish the talent, they may be willing to stick to a hard number like they did with Bryce

the calculation they may miss is that Bryce was not nearly as loved at his contract point as Rendon is now. half the fan base was completely fine with not going above 300mil for Bryce, hell some probably wanted less than that. Not a fan wearing red will be cool with them allowing themselves to be outbid for Rendon's services, and I think it would play much differently in the clubhouse as well

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm not going to predict what we will never do until I see whatever number Boras comes up with.  Theres no way in Gods Green Earth hes going to give us a second hometown discount, otherwise he wouldn't of opted out.  It's clear the Lerners have a line in terms of how much they are willing to pay these players, if anything letting Harper walking and winning a ring will make them double down in that approach.

Nats don’t need a hometown discount.  Sure, Stras shocked people by signing a deal that people thought was for less than other teams would have offered on the open market.  But I think he was showing gratitude for the Nats taking care of him and helping him prolong his career.  He knew by signing the deal with the opt out option after the third year that he could reach his true prime and perform at the highest level and then to opt out and re-do his contract he will earn much more $ long term.  Smart move to bet on himself.  WS MVP he deserves big big $ .  But the Nats didn’t get a hometown discount when they signed Max 7 years 210 or Corbin 6 years 140.  They’ve always proven to go above market value when it comes to starting pitching.

Edited by -JB-

1 minute ago, -JB- said:

Nats don’t need a hometown discount.  Sure, Stras shocked people by signing a deal that people thought was for less than other teams would have offered on the open market.  But I think he was showing gratitude for the Nats taking care of him and helping him prolong his career.  He knew by signing the deal with the opt out option after the third year that he could reach his true prime and perform at the highest level and then to opt out and re-do his contract he will earn much more $ long term.  Smart move to get on himself.  WS MVP he deserves big big $ .  But the Nats didn’t get a hometown discount when they signed Max 7 years 210 or Corbin 6 years 140.  They’ve always proven to go above market value when it comes to starting pitching.

they also are in a tight spot because we dont have any talent in the minors knocking on the door of our rotation. Denaunburg is still some ways away and who the hell knows what will happen with Romero as he recovers

• Like 1

And people continue to worry about if the Lerner’s will spend the $ because Bryce walked. But the proof is in the pudding.  Letting Harper walk was the best baseball move.  You pay that contract and what about Eaton?  Robles?  What about Corbin?  Etc.  I’m not worried at all about the Lerner’s opening their wallets.  The Nats payroll is near the top.  They operate like a tremendous organization.  Please don’t change a thing.  Extend Rizzo ASAP.  Even if he still needs to figure out how to build a bullpen lol

Edited by -JB-
  • Like 3