Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

Stupid allergies....

14 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It's the one thing I hate about playoff baseball, which otherwise is the best type of playoff their is, IMO.  Hinch made a decent move, just didn't work out the way he needed it to.

Yeah right, you haven't been able to do dick **** for the Wizards.

I fully believe @stevemcqueen1 got Grunfeld fired.  That's among the pantheons of DC sports achievement.  Thank you Steve.  Thank you very much.

Edited by bearrock
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

Patrick Corbin had his best stuff for game 7 in relief

his work will stay with me

That was a Big Dick Boy moment.  Coming into that kind of situation in relief when you're used to starting, such a difficult spot and he locked it down.

He grew from this postseason experience.  I think he's going to end up being a really excellent pitcher for us as he reaches his final form.  Our free agency luck with starting pitchers has been ridiculous.

• Like 2

We're just gonna need a statue for everyone on the team (and their families).

From Rosenthal's article in The Athletic

“I had to have my wife drive me to the field so I could get treatment. And I was really choked up for not being able to pitch in that moment. It was my wife who just said, who just believed, ‘We know we can get through this. We know Stras is going to deal in Game 6. You’re going to pitch Game 7.’”

“She said that. She believed it. And she said this team has fate, this team is meant to win the World Series. So I took the mound tonight. And I just believed she was right.”

The Nationals’ plan, though, was not just for Scherzer to pitch. It was also for Kurt Suzuki to catch. Including the postseason, Scherzer had a 2.03 ERA this season with Suzuki behind the plate, a 4.09 ERA with Yan Gomes.

But Suzuki, 36, was dealing with his own physical issue, a strained right hip flexor he had suffered in Game 3. He had not played since then, but upon arriving at Minute Maid Park on Wednesday he told manager Dave Martinez, “Don’t even ask, just put me in the lineup.”

Then Suzuki began his pre-game work, and his hip did not respond the way he wanted. He kept telling himself: You can do it, you can do it. But eventually, he had to admit the truth.

“If my ego’s going to get in the way with me wanting to play in Game 7, I can’t do that. I can’t do this to the team,” Suzuki said. “Obviously, I’d love to be out there. But if I was to go out there and had a mishap because I was hurt, didn’t call a pitch because I was thinking about my hip and we’d lose the game, I’d never forgive myself, never look my teammates in the eyes again.”

Suzuki walked into Martinez’s office and looked straight at him.

“I’m sorry, Skip, I can’t do it,” he said.

Scherzer walked in a short while later.

“I love you,” he told Suzuki. “You’ve been instrumental for me all year. I got this for you.”

Then it was Gomes’ turn.

“I’m going to take care of this for you,” he told his fellow catcher.

The allergies are really bad today....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Zimm and Stras will 100% get statues. Scherz probably will too, but its a bit different since he's not a career Nat, but he'll go to the HoF as one for sure. If Rendon stays here the rest of his prime he'll also be deserving.

But Zimm should get the first. He's Mr. National. And #11 should be retired the second he retires.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It's the one thing I hate about playoff baseball, which otherwise is the best type of playoff their is, IMO.  Hinch made a decent move, just didn't work out the way he needed it to.

No doubt. What was funny about that was the reporters were clueless and didn't understand how baseball works...lol

• Like 1

Wow. Still feels great!  Man, with life, I don’t post much, but always jump back on for the playoff runs.  From the days of going to games and watching dudes like Marlon Byrd, Ryan Church, Levo, The Chief, Dimitri Young, Lastings, etc – to winning the whole damn thing!  

Go Nats!! Congrats to everyone!!  Group hugs!!

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That was a Big Dick Boy moment.  Coming into that kind of situation in relief when you're used to starting, such a difficult spot and he locked it down.

He grew from this postseason experience.  I think he's going to end up being a really excellent pitcher for us as he reaches his final form.  Our free agency luck with starting pitchers has been ridiculous.

He doesnt say much, but he has that compete gene in him. He's a fighter. Just compare how he looked out of the pen early in the postseason compared to now. It would have been easy for him to tell Davey he cant do relief, but he didnt. He took that **** as a challenge

4 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Well, good luck in Game 8 tomorrow.

Gerrit Cole is ready

2 minutes ago, Enforcer_FFX said:

Wow. Still feels great!  Man, with life, I don’t post much, but always jump back on for the playoff runs.  From the days of going to games and watching dudes like Marlon Byrd, Ryan Church, Levo, The Chief, Dimitri Young, Lastings, etc – to winning the whole damn thing!  

Man we lived through the T-Plush era. We earned this

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

What’s the first thing you will remember from the World Series.  Immediate reaction.  Either in game or anything surrounding the games/celebration.  Go.

For me, it’s Davey going nuts and getting 

Edit: i cant read

From the world series, its Strasburg course correcting after tipping pitches in 1st inning of game 2

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, China said:

One of my earliest memories in life was attending a Washington Senators game before they left town.  Having a team come back and win it all is 50 years in the making for me.

My father went to Griffith Stadium and D.C./RFK to see the Senators. He was a sophomore at Howard when Bob Short moved the expansion team to Texas and it broke his heart. The Nats coming to town helped heal it but this, I imagine, will get it about as close to fully mended as can be. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

What’s the first thing you will remember from the World Series.  Immediate reaction.  Either in game or anything surrounding the games/celebration.  Go.

For me, it’s Davey going nuts and getting tossed. 

Kendrick's Grand Slam to ether the Dodgers.

37 minutes ago, Enforcer_FFX said:

Oh man that's a blast from the past. How about Nyjer Morgan? Jose Guillen. John Lannan. Nick Johnson. Brian Schneider.

• Thanks 1